inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Influence of "Whip It"

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/13/06 at 6:46 pm

Was "Whip It" one of the reasons New Wave became popular in 1981?

Subject: Re: The Influence of "Whip It"

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/13/06 at 8:05 pm

IMO, MTV was the reason new wave started to become popular in 1981.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/13/06 at 10:28 pm

IMO, MTV was the reason new wave started to become popular in 1981.

It was also one of those "Pre late 1981" songs that had music videos, especially a conceptual one instead of a typical studio background/camcorder looking vid (others include Talking Heads' "Once in a Lifetime" and Tom Petty's "Refugee").

But yeah, I think "Whip It" was ahead of its time a bit. I'm sure it was even more popular once MTV started showing the video.

Written By: zcrito on 07/13/06 at 10:42 pm

Wasn't "Whip It" out during September of 1980 ?
And I believe the video they used on MTV was something they came up with probably 3 years after the song was originally on the radio. MTV was all the rage and the song was still popular so they needed a video.

I like the song. It's one of the best of the '80s, but I never cared for the video. It was a little too spiteful for my taste.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/14/06 at 5:52 am

It was also one of those "Pre late 1981" songs that had music videos, especially a conceptual one instead of a typical studio background/camcorder looking vid (others include Talking Heads' "Once in a Lifetime" and Tom Petty's "Refugee").

But yeah, I think "Whip It" was ahead of its time a bit. I'm sure it was even more popular once MTV started showing the video.

It was also one of the first of many '80s songs about masturbation (think "She Bop", "Pictures of You", "I Touch Myself", "I'm Turning Japanese")...

It was definitely ahead of its time, though, both in terms of the music video and the actual song, which totally foresook any cheesy punk or '70s associations for a totally, tight aesthetic beat and intensity.

Check for new replies or respond here...