inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Choirs in Late '80s Music

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/14/06 at 10:26 pm

Has anybody here noticed there were alot of songs featuring gospel choirs or at least choral vocals from the late '80s? I've once read that Michael Jackson's 1987 song "Man in the Mirror" was the catalyst for this trend; some other songs of the era to include this are Madonna's "Like a Prayer" and "Express Yourself" and alot of the music off of Kate Bush's The Sensual World.

Subject: Re: Choirs in Late '80s Music

Written By: Dukefan on 07/15/06 at 7:33 pm

You could say the "choir trend" started in the mid-80s with Prince's "Purple Rain" (1984), and Foreigner's "I Want to Know What Love Is" (1985).

Directly, Madonna's "Like a Prayer" was actually inspired by Prince's work on the Purple Rain album.  The album version of Like a Prayer has a funky sound that is reminiscent of Prince's style.

Written By: whistledog on 07/15/06 at 7:47 pm

"San Damiano (Heart and Soul)" by Sal Solo had choirs, and it was beautiful

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/15/06 at 8:34 pm

You could say the "choir trend" actually started in the mid-80s with Prince's "Purple Rain" (1984), and Foreigner's "I Want to Know What Love Is" (1985).

Directly, Madonna's "Like a Prayer" was actually inspired by Prince's work on the Purple Rain album.  The album version of Like a Prayer has a funky sound that is reminiscent of Prince's style.

Yeah...you're definitely right about that. Also, the inclusion of brass and "pretty instrumentation" like pianos reminds me of Prince's Parade and the Eurythmics (like "Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves" or even "Here Comes the Rain Again.")

Check for new replies or respond here...