inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is The Safety Dance an Angry Song?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/15/06 at 7:13 pm

Is it just me, or is The Safety Dance a pretty spiteful song? It sounds all fun, but the guy sounds like he's pissed off and being sarcastic.  ;D

Subject: Re: Is The Safety Dance an Angry Song?

Written By: dj454s on 07/15/06 at 7:32 pm

Sounds a little scarcastic to me.

Written By: Davester on 07/15/06 at 8:26 pm

I had heard about this song a looooong time ago.  Actually, at the time of the song's debut.  '83-ish...

Either one or more of the members of "Men Without Hats" spent some time "slamdancing", 80's lexicon.  The song is the vocalist's tirade denouncing "slamdancing", or denouncing a club he was once tossed out of, or denouncing the individual who did said tossing or something like that there...

The above is unconfirmed, of course...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/06 at 9:56 am

I find it a jolly song.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/16/06 at 11:36 am

Is it just me, or is The Safety Dance a pretty spiteful song? It sounds all fun, but the guy sounds like he's pissed off and being sarcastic.  ;D

It was the 80s. There was a dark undercurrent of sarcasm beneath all the neon and plastic glam - a hidden scowl beneath every smile.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 07/17/06 at 3:00 pm

"The Safety Dance" is a fun-loving poke in the eye for those in society that think the "old school" and "old money" sections are the only ones deserving of the good life.

Think about it- it ribs their dress sense, their posturings, and it shows how most nouveau-riche upper-class twits forget, or try to forget, their roots.

If you doubt what I say, then listen to it, and compare notes with me.

Check for new replies or respond here...