inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cyndi Lauper

Written By: whistledog on 07/16/06 at 2:05 am

Cyndi Lauper is a pop singer who rose to fame in the 80s

http://hitparade.ch/cdimages/cyndi_lauper-she_bop_s.jpg

-- BIOGRAPHY --

Born in Brooklyn, New York, and raised in the neighboring borough of Queens, Lauper (born June 22, 1953) dropped out of high school in her late teens, choosing to sing in a number of local cover bands instead. Eventually, her voice was so strained she turned to voice lessons from Katherine Agresta, a well-known vocal teacher in New York. In 1977, Lauper began writing her own material with keyboardist John Turi. The duo formed Blue Angel that same year. Over the next few years, the group built up a solid following in New York, culminating in the release of an eponymous debut album on Polydor in 1980. The Blue Angel record flopped and shortly afterward, Lauper filed for bankruptcy, which led to the disbandment of Blue Angel.

Following the breakup of the group, Lauper sang in local clubs and restaurants. In 1983, her manager and boyfriend David Wolff managed to secure her a contract with Portrait. At the end of the year, she released her debut album, She's So Unusual. Helped by heavy MTV support of the album's first single/video "Girls Just Want to Have Fun," She's So Unusual became a major hit in the spring of 1984, eventually climbing to number four on the U.S. charts; it would wind up going platinum five times, as well as becoming a hit in the U.K. and Europe. "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" peaked at number two, while its follow-up, the ballad "Time After Time," reached number one; two other songs, "She Bop" and "All Through the Night," went Top Ten.

With the success of She's So Unusual under her belt, Lauper was an official star, yet she wasn't able to maintain her popularity. During 1985 she worked on her follow-up album; her only release of the year was "The Goonies 'R' Good Enough," the theme song from the children's adventure film The Goonies. Her second album, True Colors, appeared in the fall of 1986, and while it was successful -- the title track went to number one, while the album peaked at number four and went platinum -- its softer, adult contemporary sound lost Lauper some fans.

Lauper's career continued to lose momentum, as her feature film debut in 1988's comedy Vibes bombed. A Night to Remember, her third album, was released to weak reviews in 1989, and although it spawned the Top Ten hit "I Drove All Night," it suffered from disappointing sales, peaking at number 37. The next year, she severed her relationship with Wolff and married actor David Thornton.

After taking a few years off, Lauper returned in 1993 with Hat Full of Stars, an album where she co-produced and co-wrote all of the tracks. The record stiffed, peaking at 112. The following year, the hits compilation Twelve Deadly Cyns...and Then Some was released in the U.K.; the album reached number two, while a remixed "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" became a number one hit. Twelve Deadly Cyns was released in America the following career to less attention. Lauper released Sisters of Avalon, her first album of new material in four years, in the spring of 1997 to generally positive reviews, yet the record didn't chart. Merry Christmas...Have a Nice Life! followed in late 1998. After a long hiatus, Lauper returned to the studio in 2003 for At Last, a collection of pop standards that garnered favorable reviews and spawned a live DVD, Live...At Last. The Body Acoustic, collection of stripped-down reinvemtions of previous hits, followed in 2005

-- ALBUMS --

Year 1983 1986 1989 1993 1994 1996 1998 2001 2002 20032005

Album Title She's So Unusual True Colors A Night to RememberHat full of StarsTwelve Deadly Cyns ... And Then SomeSisters of AvalonMerry Christmas ... Have A Nice LifeShineThe Essential Cyndi LauperAt LastThe Body Acoustic

-- HIT SINGLES --

Year 1984 1984 1984 1984 1985 1985 1985 1986 1987 1987 1987 1988 1989 1989 1989 1992 1993 1993 1994 1995 1995 1997

Song Title Girls Just Want to Have Fun Time After Time She Bop All Through the Night Money Changes Everything When You Were Mine The Goonies 'R' Good Enough True Colours Change of Heart What's Going On Boy Blue Hole in My Heart I Drove All Night My First Night Without You Heading West The World is Stone That's What I Think Who Let in the Rain Hey Now (Girls Just Want to Have Fun) I'm Gonna Be Strong Come On Home You Don't Know

United States #2 #1 #3 #5 #27 -- #10 #1 #3 #12 #71 #54 #6 #62 -- -- -- -- #87 -- -- --

Canada #1 #1 #3 #7 #23 #62 #9 #1 #13 #30 -- #86 #8 -- -- -- -- #76 -- -- -- --

United Kingdom #2 #3 #46 #64 -- -- -- #12 #67 #57 -- -- #7 #53 #68 #15 #31 #32 #4 #37 #39 #27

-- MUSIC VIDEOS --

All Through the Night | Change of Heart | Girls Just Want to Have Fun | The Goonies 'R' Good Enough | Heading West | Hole in My Heart | I Drove All Night | Money Changes Everything | My First Night Without You | She Bop | Time After Time | True Colors | What's Going On | The World is Stone | You Don't Know

Subject: Re: Cyndi Lauper

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/06 at 2:13 am

Now don't we just love her?

Written By: whistledog on 07/16/06 at 2:14 am

Now don't we just love her?

You guys loved her more in the 90s than we did  :\'(

Good to see she was still popular in the 90s though 8)

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/16/06 at 2:19 am

I love Cyndi. I think almost everything from She's So Unusual is amazing ("Time After Time", "Money Changes Everything", etc.), True Colors is underrated ("Change of Heart" and "True Colors" are great songs.) Also, I admire her attitude towards the music business in general.

Written By: David Sari on 07/16/06 at 3:36 am

In 2006 she appeared in evil hipster princess Nellie McKay's now scrapped CD "Pretty Little Head"...

Though I rather much see her with a much better Ne... nev'mind  ::)

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/17/06 at 8:11 pm

Aw, my favourite of hers, "Ballad of Cleo & Joe" didn't chart?  ???

Here's the video.  :)

Written By: whistledog on 07/17/06 at 8:20 pm

That's a great song.  It never reached the pop charts sadly.  It may have made other charts on Billboard though.  I can't see a song like that not charting at all

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/17/06 at 9:21 pm

That's a great song.  It never reached the pop charts sadly.  It may have made other charts on Billboard though.  I can't see a song like that not charting at all

Probably.  I likes that and "Shine". :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/06 at 3:11 am

It never made the UK Chart too.

Written By: holicman on 07/18/06 at 6:04 am

I didnt like a majority of her music, but "True colours" and Time after time" Rank amongst my favourite songs of all time.

Check for new replies or respond here...