inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Outfield

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/18/06 at 10:42 am

I don't know much about this band... at all. But I have their "Play Deep" album (Saved from my dad's ex's garbage can!). I've only recently listened to it, but I love it! What do you think about The Outfield?

Subject: Re: The Outfield

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/18/06 at 3:08 pm

I love The Outfield!  8)

I always thought they never got the recognition they so deserved!

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/18/06 at 3:22 pm

Yeah, they're a good band. They had sorta a Police-esque sound, but more pop/wave. Their big hit was "Your Love", but their best song is actually off their 1998 album, called "Girl of Mine", which sounds like it could've come out in 1987 (not in a bad way, either).

Written By: whistledog on 07/18/06 at 3:54 pm

"Your Love" was a song I loved when I was a kid.  I still love it, and I love every album The Outfield did.  My ultimate favourite is "My Paradise" 8)

Year 1986 1986 1986 1987 1989 1989 1991 1991 1992 1992

Song Title Your Love All the Love in the World Everytime You Cry Since You've Been Gone Voices of Babylon My Paradise For You Take it All Closer to Me Winning it All

Canada #37 #72 -- #54 #39 #93 #11 #70 #89 #94

United States #6 #19 #66#31#25#72#21 -- #43--

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/18/06 at 4:15 pm

My ultimate favourite is "My Paradise" 8)

OMG, I didn't know anybody else loved that song as much as I do!  :D 8)

Written By: whistledog on 07/18/06 at 4:47 pm

OMG, I didn't know anybody else loved that song as much as I do!  :D 8)

It's a shame it didn't get higher in the charts.  I still believe it to be one of the BEST songs of the late 80s 8)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/18/06 at 4:48 pm

It's a shame it didn't get higher in the charts.  I still believe it to be one of the BEST songs of the late 80s 8)

You are so right, Jason!  8)

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/18/06 at 7:48 pm

"My Paradise" gets a bit of play on Renegade Retro and was featured in our last stumper which nobody solved. :P

"Say It Isn't So" didn't chart anywhere? ???

Written By: whistledog on 07/18/06 at 8:13 pm

"Say It Isn't So" didn't chart anywhere? ???

According to the linear notes on "The Best of the Outfield" CD, it was a #1 hit, so I am assuming that was the Billboard Rock Charts

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/18/06 at 8:21 pm

I like 61 Seconds and All My Love a lot, as well as Say It Isn't So

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/19/06 at 3:18 pm

"My Paradise" gets a bit of play on Renegade Retro and was featured in our last stumper which nobody solved. :P

I'm sure I'd have gotten it, but I don't do RR...

Written By: nally on 08/05/06 at 2:43 am

According to the linear notes on "The Best of the Outfield" CD, it was a #1 hit, so I am assuming that was the Billboard Rock Charts

Yeah, probably the Modern Rock chart or something.

Anyway, the only single I know of theirs is "Your Love"; I don't know any other songs from them.

Written By: statsqueen on 03/23/07 at 11:57 am

Yeah, probably the Modern Rock chart or something.

Anyway, the only single I know of theirs is "Your Love"; I don't know any other songs from them.

I love them even though all their songs sound the same (at least a little).  I got to see them in concert in the mid-80s.  I had them on cassette, just gotta get the CD

Written By: Midas on 06/27/07 at 10:55 pm

I'm sure I'd have gotten it, but I don't do RR...

A year later and we're one of the TOP 80's stations on the 'net and still growing; more than 12 inches and nearly 12,000 tracks.  Doesn't size matter?

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/27/07 at 10:57 pm

A year later and we're one of the TOP 80's stations on the 'net and still growing; more than 12 inches and nearly 12,000 tracks.  Doesn't size matter?

Psht. I've got more tracks than you. :P

Written By: Midas on 06/27/07 at 11:08 pm

Psht. I've got more tracks than you. :P

Goody for you!  Are they all 80's tracks?  Do you run a station?  ???

Even I have more tracks than that, and they're all hardcopy; not some mp3 file on my computer or iPod.  What's your point?

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/27/07 at 11:10 pm

Goody for you!  Are they all 80's tracks?  Do you run a station?  ???

Even I have more tracks than that, and they're all hardcopy; not some mp3 file on my computer or iPod.  What's your point?

Ohhhh, the tongue sticking out guy was indicating that I was messing around with you.

Written By: Midas on 06/27/07 at 11:13 pm

Ohhhh, the tongue sticking out guy was indicating that I was messing around with you.

Wacky smileyface guy is better!  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/28/07 at 8:20 pm

I don't know much about this band... at all. But I have their "Play Deep" album (Saved from my dad's ex's garbage can!). I've only recently listened to it, but I love it! What do you think about The Outfield?

Sounds like a sensible fellow.  I think your dad had the right idea!
:P

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/29/07 at 4:40 pm

"Nervous Alibi" is a pretty cool tune from "Play Deep".  He hits this really hair-curling note; worth a listen.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/01/07 at 11:29 pm

Sounds like a sensible fellow.  I think your dad had the right idea!

Psht, my dad saved it. His ex threw it away.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/04/07 at 10:15 pm

Psht, my dad saved it. His ex threw it away.

Then yer dad's ex had the right idea.

Written By: stingr22 on 07/06/07 at 11:11 pm

The Outfield was definitely an underrated band.  I remember the first time I heard them.  I was walking by the TV, and MTV was playing "Say It Isn't So".  The song was so catchy, I had to stop and listen.  I went out the next day and bought the cassette.  I loved every song on it and just figured they were just another band that nobody would ever hear about.  Then a few months later, "Your Love" was released as a single.  Of course it became a smash and the rest is history.

Although they were never big commercially, they had some very catchy pop tunes and every album was a good listen.  If you get the chance, pick up some of their other stuff.  If you liked "Play Deep", you won't be disappointed - my favorites are "Play Deep" and "Bangin'".

Check for new replies or respond here...