inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This months edition of 'Q' Magazine - 80's special!!

Written By: Chasey on 07/19/06 at 5:01 am

Yep, it's true. This months edition of Q, the top music magazine features a tribute to the 80's in order to try to dispel the myth that it was the worst musical decade ever...according to the editor.

Well, hooray for that. It's only taken them 16 years, so it's about time! At least it's a step in the right direction however, so I do applaud them.

The edition is actually very interesting, top 50 albums and singles, interviews features. Well worth getting hold of:

http://www.q4music.com/

Subject: Re: This months edition of 'Q' Magazine - 80's special!!

Written By: Criz on 07/19/06 at 3:54 pm

I bought that...just beacuse it was an 80s special!!! Did you enjoy the free 80s covers Cd with it? I quite liked a lot of the songs on it.

Written By: Chasey on 07/20/06 at 2:04 am

I bought that...just beacuse it was an 80s special!!! Did you enjoy the free 80s covers Cd with it? I quite liked a lot of the songs on it.

I did, and whilst not liking covers in general thought that it was certainly a very good effort. 

Nobody else got anything else to discuss regarding this publication?  Bumpity-bump guys....the biggest magazine is promoting the 80's, and nobody has anything to say?  ::)

Well, here's some further food for thought - a letter I sent to Q magazine regarding the article.  They had to take a bit of a rap across the knuckles for too much Madonna-sucking, and not enough applause for other equally worthy pop acts in my opinion.  Opinions please!

Dear Q,

Firstly, I would like to applaud you guys on the latest edition of Q, with the focus on giving the musical decade what was 80's the respect it deserves.

Like your good selves, I have never subscribed to the point of view that some others share that this was the worst decade for music.  I have to say however, that the decade has undergone something of a comeback in recent years, following on from the '90's backlash'.  I hear a lot of 80's music mixed into prime time on local radiostations, and although some of it is questionable, it's great to see that in 2006 the impression of the 80's seems to be different from 1996.

I think there are 3 clear reasons for this. The first reason is that parents who grew up in the 80's and enjoyed the decade are probably subjecting their kids to occasional blasts of Duran Duran and Madonna, the second is the re-emergence of 80's fashion via the hip-hop culture (particularly on girls) and retro in general, and lastly the fact that most commerical pop music really does suck.

In terms of diversity, the 80's can't be beat.  As you rightly pointed out, we had New Wave, New Romantic, Pop, Hair-Metal, Synthpop, Punk, Rap, Electro, SKA and Goth

Written By: K Feddup on 07/20/06 at 2:23 am

There's never too much  Madonna sucking  :D ;D

Written By: Criz on 07/20/06 at 11:48 am

Generally with 80s specials there is some major Madonna article embedded, mainly beacuse she was very influential - whatever your thoughts on her are! Of course - musically, she wasn't the greatest as there were far better artists in the 80s than her, but she did have that big impact on the decade.

I enjoyed the CD and was surprised that I quite liked a lot of the covers on there. In fact, I heard a few days before that Boy Kill Boy had covered 'It's different for girls' and was desperate to get my hands on it beacuse the song I love the original and I Boy Kill Boy are one of my favourite bands to have emerged this year. Over the next couple of days, I went everwhere in town searching for the 'Suzie' single as I heard the track was a b-side on it, but I couldn't find it in any shop - so I picked up Q and went home feeling a bit gutted! So as you know, the track was on the free cd - and I was very happy indeed! :] Btw...I thought it wasn't too bad a cover, quite similar to the original, but Joe Jackson's is definitly the better version!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...