inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most Beatlesque 80s Pop Group

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/23/06 at 11:11 am

I'm not going with the obvious choice of Duran Duran, but am saying that the less-known British band XTC is the most Beatlesque band of the 80s (I don't take the comparison too seriously) in that they were constantly pushing the boundaries, artistic, inventive, experimental at time, yet always held the highest priority was to pleasure the listener with reliably melodic, catchy songs. IMO Skylarking is their magnum opus - Oranges, Apples and Lemons comes close...their early stuff like the single 'Making Plans For Nigel' is more post-punk New Wave in the vein of the Jam, while their later stuff was much slicker. The tirade that is 'Dear God' rearticulates a very Lennonesque philosophy, whereas echoes of Sgt. Pepper's can be seen through tracks like 'Season Cycle' and 'The Man Who Went On A Voyage Around His Soul' (although the title of that track is a bit Floyd-esque).

Closer contenders include Duran Duran, New Order, Tears For Fears, The Cure.etc - while perhaps not of the same 60s pop/rock/art-rock genre as the Beatles, their sheer diversity and durability probably afford them comparison.

Subject: Re: Most Beatlesque 80s Pop Group

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/23/06 at 12:20 pm

Squeeze...maybe the Thompson Twins.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/23/06 at 12:31 pm

Squeeze...maybe the Thompson Twins.

Can't comment on squeeze, but 'Doctor, Doctor!' by the Thompson Twins does sort of develop on Beatles-style harmonies.etc, although I've not heard enough of their music to decide. Too me there was a real visage of 'novelty' about Skylarking, which was probably typical of much of the 80s New Romantic-inspired Art Rock movement which gave us Culture Club, the Cure, even Eurythmics.etc.

Written By: BobbyBroadbent on 07/26/06 at 2:48 pm

If John, Paul, George and Ringo had been born in the late sixties and been a band in the eighties they would be called Steve, Johnny, Andy & Mike and be in The Smiths.

Check for new replies or respond here...