inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: MTV's first 24 Hours being shown on VH1 Classic!

Written By: WalkerP20 on 07/26/06 at 12:16 pm

This is pretty cool.  For anyone who has "VH1 Classic", at 2pm Eastern Time they will be showing the First Hour of MTV when it premiered back in 1981

So for those of us who never got to see the premiere of MTV, can check it out....only 45 minutes left to go until it comes on  :)

Subject: Re: MTV's 1st ever hour being shown on VH1 Classic!

Written By: woops on 07/26/06 at 4:31 pm

Though I don't have the channel...

Here's the first 10 videos that aired on MTV (that I wrote down a few years ago), fo those curious or want to tape a video...

1. The Buggles "Video Killed The Radio Star"
2. Pat Benatar "You Better Run"
3. Rod Stewart "She Won't Dance With Me"
4. The Who "You Better You Bet"
5. PhD "Little Suzie's On The Up"
6. Cliff Richard "We Don't Talk Anymore"
7. Pretenders "Brass In Pocket"
8. Todd Rundgren "Time Heals"
9. REO Speedwagon "Take It On The Run"
10. Styx "Rockin' The Paradise"

Written By: Dave79 on 07/26/06 at 6:10 pm

We didn't get cable until `89 or so. So I guess this is cool, said they are going to do some 24 hour long special sometime in Aug.

--
Dave.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/26/06 at 6:14 pm

Starting at midnight on August 1st, VH1 Classic will air the first 24 hours (62 videos) of MTV.  There will be special guests, sneak peeks at the footage from the day, all that good stuff. 

This is a list of all the videos played on MTV's first day:

1. "Video Killed the Radio Star" by The Buggles
  2. "You Better Run" by Pat Benatar
  3. "She Won't Dance" by Rod Stewart
  4. "You Better You Bet" by The Who
  5. "Little Susie's on the Up" by PhD
  6. "We Don't Talk Anymore" by Cliff Richard
  7. "Brass in Pocket" by The Pretenders
  8. "Time Heals" by Todd Rundgren
  9. "Take it on the Run" by REO Speedwagon
  10. "Rockin' the Paradise" by Styx
  11. "When Things Go Wrong" by Robin Lane and The Chartbusters
  12. "History Never Repeats" by Split Enz
  13. "Hold on Loosely" by .38 Special
  14. "Just Between You and Me" by April Wine
  15. "Sailing" by Rod Stewart
  16. "Iron Maiden" by Iron Maiden
  17. "Keep On Loving You" by REO Speedwagon
  18. "Message of Love" by The Pretenders
  19. "Mr. Briefcase" by Lee Ritenour
  20. "Double Life" by The Cars
  21. "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins
  22. "Clues" by Robert Palmer
  23. "Too Late" by The Shoes
  24. "Stop Draggin' my Heart Around" by Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
  25. "Surface Tension" by Rupert Hines
  26. "One Step Beyond" by Madness
  27. "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty
  28. "I'm Gonna Follow You" by Pat Benatar
  29. "Savannah Nights" by Tom Johnson
  30. "Lucille" by Rockestra
  31. "The Best of Times" by Styx
  32. "Vengeance" by Carly Simon
  33. "Wrathchild" by Iron Maiden
  34. "I Wanna Be a Lifeguard" by Blotto
  35. "Passion" by Rod Stewart
  36. "Oliver's Army" by Elvis Costello
  37. "Don't Let Him Go" by REO Speedwagon
  38. "Remote Control/I'm Too Legal" by The Silencers
  39. "Angel of the Morning" by Juice Newton
  40. "Little Sister" by Rockestra
  41. "Hold on to the Night" by Bootcamp
  42. "Dreaming" by Cliff Richard
  43. "Is it You?" by Lee Ritenour
  44. "Tusk" by Fleetwood Mac
  45. "He Can't Love You" by Michael Stanley Band
  46. "Tough Guys" by REO Speedwagon
  47. "Rapture" by Blondie
  48. "Don't Let Go the Coat" by The Who
  49. "Ain't Love a Bitch" by Rod Stewart
  50. "Talk of the Town" by The Pretenders
  51. "Can't Happen Here" by Rainbow
  52. "Thank You for Being a Friend" by Andrew Gold
  53. "Bring it all Home" by Gerry Rafferty
  54. "Sign of the Gypsy Queen" by April Wine
  55. "The Man With the Child in His Eyes" by Kate Bush
  56. "Ashes to Ashes" by David Bowie
  57. "Just Between You and Me" by April Wine
  58. "Rat Race" by The Specials
  59. "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads
  60. "Victim" by Bootcamp
  61. "Tonight's the Night" by Rod Stewart
  62. "Cruel to be Kind" by Nick Lowe

Hell of a lot of Rod Stewart.

Written By: WalkerP20 on 07/26/06 at 6:18 pm

You know it's a sad day in the world when "VH1 Classic" spends an entire day honoring the 25th anniversary of MTV's existence, while MTV spends that entire day just playing their crappy Reality TV shows

I think MTV should create a new song/music video and air it as a special tribute at Midnight on August 1st, the song can be called "Reality TV Killed The Music Video Star".  I think it fits the description of MTV pretty damn well right about now

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/26/06 at 6:21 pm

You know it's a sad day in the world when "VH1 Classic" spends an entire day honoring the 25th anniversary of MTV's existence, while MTV spends that entire day just playing their crappy Reality TV shows

I think MTV should create a new song/music video and air it as a special tribute at Midnight on August 1st, the song can be called "Reality TV Killed The Music Video Star".  I think it fits the description of MTV pretty damn well right about now

To be fair, MTV went all out back in 2001 for their 20th anniversary, so maybe they're waiting for 30 to roll around to do something then.  Although I can't believe MTV will be 30 years old in 5 years.  I was born only a year later. 

I do agree that it shows a lack of interest in what made MTV so famous to begin with; MUSIC TELEVISION.

They seem to have forgotten all about the "music" part of the name.

Written By: Eac Zeffron on 07/26/06 at 6:22 pm

There's a 3 DVD set from "Pure 80's that's celebrating MTV's 25th...

Would be a funny Weird Al parody...  :D

Sadly "Al TV" nolonger airs on MTV

By the time I get VH1 Classic, it'll be showing videos from today :P

Written By: WalkerP20 on 07/26/06 at 6:40 pm

The only thing i've seen so far that MTV is doing on August 1st to celebrate the 25th, is they are doing a 1 Hour show called "A.D.D." which will showcase some of their most popular music videos from 1981 - 2006

Here's the Video Playlist

"Video Killed The Radio Star" - The Buggles

"Rock The Casbah" - The Clash

"Thriller" - Michael Jackson

"Let's Go Crazy" - Prince

"Like A Virgin" - Madonna

"Take On Me" - a-ha

"I Wanna Dance With Somebody" - Whitney Houston

"Sweet Child O Mine" - Guns N' Roses

"One" - Metallica

"Nothing Compares 2 U" - Sinead O'Connor

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana

"One" - U2

"Cryin'" - Aerosmith

"Jeremy" - Pearl Jam

"When I Come Around" - Green Day

"Don't Speak" - No Doubt

"Hypnotize" - Notorious B.I.G.

"Tearin' Up My Heart" - Backstreet Boys

"Baby One More Time" - Britney Spears

"The Real Slim Shady" - Eminem

"Lady Marmalade" - Christina Aguilera, Mya, Pink, Lil Kim

"Work It" - Missy Elliott

"Hey Ya!" - Outkast

"Drop It Like It's Hot" - Snoop Dogg

"Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" - Green Day

I somehow doubt they can fit all of that into 1 hour.  Even worse, that 1 hour starts at 11 in the morning....Wow, great timeslot MTV....

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/28/06 at 1:09 pm

Here's the first 10 videos that aired on MTV (that I wrote down a few years ago), fo those curious or want to tape a video...

These are videos I remember VH1 airing a lot some 10-15 years ago. That may be why I didn't like VH1 back then because they'd mix the old with soft rock current stuff. Now, VH1 is all I watch because of them playing soft rock with older stuff.

Back when MTV still played decent music and had few reality shows, it was truly worth watching. The stuff the tweens are watching now is far from what they'll ever know was the true MTV.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/28/06 at 3:43 pm

Yeah, I dont like MTV anymore either. Most of the programming on there now(at least to me) is mindless drivel. I wish I had Vh1 classic, I would love to watch this but I cant :(

Written By: woops on 07/28/06 at 3:45 pm

^ ditto

Alsoregular  VH1 isn't that good either...

Written By: Dave79 on 07/28/06 at 3:51 pm

MTV was great when we first got cable in 89, but in the last 10 years its became nothing but a pointless long commerical. I'll take VH1 Classic anytime. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/28/06 at 5:29 pm

Yeah, I dont like MTV anymore either. Most of the programming on there now(at least to me) is mindless drivel. I wish I had Vh1 classic, I would love to watch this but I cant :(

I can't wait for August 1st.  According to all the promos, it's going to be cool.  The way they're hinting, it sounds like a couple of the former VJs might make a surprise appearance.  I wish more people had VH1 Classic.  It's one of the few channels I watch religiously.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/28/06 at 6:07 pm

I can't wait for August 1st.  According to all the promos, it's going to be cool.  The way they're hinting, it sounds like a couple of the former VJs might make a surprise appearance.  I wish more people had VH1 Classic.  It's one of the few channels I watch religiously.

I had VH1 Classics while at my mother's house, but since I moved out we're stuck with basic cable. Luckily, I taped a night's worth of '80s and '70s videos and have the tape with me, and play it from time to time  ;D

Written By: woops on 07/31/06 at 5:12 pm

Saw the ADD MTV 25 special and they only show about 2 minutes of each video  ::)

Written By: WalkerP20 on 07/31/06 at 5:55 pm

Saw the ADD MTV 25 special and they only show about 2 minutes of each video  ::)

When did you see it?  It doesn't come on until tommorrow at 11am here..

Subject: Re: MTV's first 24 Hours being shown on VH1 Classic!

Written By: WalkerP20 on 07/31/06 at 6:15 pm

Starting at Midnight tonight, VH1 Classic will play the first 24 Hours of MTV that ever aired.  They are showing the entire first day  :)

Written By: woops on 07/31/06 at 6:22 pm

When did you see it?  It doesn't come on until tommorrow at 11am here..

It was on MTV2 at 3:00 PM.

Nothing special and only watched a few minutes of it...

That channel is no different than regular MTV except they mostly air current rap & emo videos, rejected MTV shows from the last 3 years,  and the same 10 episodes of "Beavis & Butt-Head"

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/31/06 at 11:54 pm

To be fair, MTV went all out back in 2001 for their 20th anniversary, so maybe they're waiting for 30 to roll around to do something then.  Although I can't believe MTV will be 30 years old in 5 years.  I was born only a year later. 

I do agree that it shows a lack of interest in what made MTV so famous to begin with; MUSIC TELEVISION.

They seem to have forgotten all about the "music" part of the name.

Get over yourself *wink, wink*. I'm five years older than MTV! lol

Written By: WalkerP20 on 08/01/06 at 1:23 pm

So I just watched that "A.D.D." program on MTV a couple of hours ago and you were right, they only showed about 2 minutes of each video and then go directly into the next one.  It sucked big time

Also, they actually ended up changing around a couple of videos that they were originally supposed to play (Why you ask?  Because they got the Years WRONG)

They were supposed to play "Take On Me" but didn't, because they had it slated in their 1986 slot, when infact the song is from 1985, so for 1985 they just decided to keep "Like A Virgin" and for 1986 they played "Walk This Way" by Run DMC and Aerosmith

They also changed the 1995 video from "When I Come Around" by Green Day to "Waterfalls" by TLC (Which I don't mind)

They could have played much better videos for some of the years.  I don't know why they had to play "Don't Speak" by No Doubt for 1996 when there were far better videos that year (Not to mention, "Don't Speak" was a bigger hit in Early 1997 than it was in Late 1996).  And what was up with them playing "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam for 1994??  That song was actually a hit in both Mid 1992 and Late 1995, but never 1994

But there is something kind of cool I found.  On MTV's website, they have this section called "MTV Yearbook" and you can click on any year from 1981-2005 and it will have a list of about 40 Music Videos from that certain year and you can watch them.  Here's the link (http://www.mtv.com/music/?source=TLD_music.mtv.com#/music/yearbook/index.jhtml?contentId=1536043)

Written By: dr mabuse on 08/01/06 at 2:15 pm

Am I the only one disappointed in VH1 Classic?  I mean, seeing the old videos is cool and all, but I can see them anytime.  What I was hoping for was the stuff IN BETWEEN the videos, I wanted to see it the way MTV was originally broadcast back in 1981.  I wanted to see the VJ's introducting the videos and all the other little goodies that would have went on that day.  Lynn Hoffman is nice on the eyes but I don't want to see VH1 Classic's input.  Just the way it was originally shown back then.  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/06 at 2:19 pm

MTV in the UK are showing the first hour at 11pm

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/01/06 at 5:17 pm

Am I the only one disappointed in VH1 Classic?  I mean, seeing the old videos is cool and all, but I can see them anytime.  What I was hoping for was the stuff IN BETWEEN the videos, I wanted to see it the way MTV was originally broadcast back in 1981.  I wanted to see the VJ's introducting the videos and all the other little goodies that would have went on that day.  Lynn Hoffman is nice on the eyes but I don't want to see VH1 Classic's input.  Just the way it was originally shown back then.  :(

The whole point of this was to show the first 62 videos in order that MTV played, along with some sneak peeks and interviews.  They never said they were going to show the exact direct tape from that day in its entirety.

Written By: WalkerP20 on 08/01/06 at 5:56 pm

I feel the same way.  The funny thing is, I just realized how much I don't even care about watching the first 24 hours of MTV, considering over half of the videos they played so far are songs that i've never heard.  I was willing to give it a shot if they had actually played the ACTUAL MTV broadcast of it, but instead they are using their own broadcast by just showing the music videos that aired within the first 24 hours.  That really blows.  But yeah, Lynn Hoffman is pretty cute  ;)

I would have rather they had a 25 hour marathon (to celebrate 25 years) where each hour they would play popular music videos from each year from 1981-2005.  Like in the first hour they play 1981 videos and then onto the 2nd hour with 1982 videos and so on...

Written By: dr mabuse on 08/01/06 at 7:02 pm

I feel the same way.  The funny thing is, I just realized how much I don't even care about watching the first 24 hours of MTV, considering over half of the videos they played so far are songs that i've never heard.  I was willing to give it a shot if they had actually played the ACTUAL MTV broadcast of it, but instead they are using their own broadcast by just showing the music videos that aired within the first 24 hours.  That really blows.  But yeah, Lynn Hoffman is pretty cute  ;)

I would have rather they had a 25 hour marathon (to celebrate 25 years) where each hour they would play popular music videos from each year from 1981-2005.  Like in the first hour they play 1981 videos and then onto the 2nd hour with 1982 videos and so on...

Glad you agree with me, TheWalkMan.  It would've been a real treat to see the original broadcast.  Evidently if you missed it way back in 1981 you missed it for good :(  This was the one chance where it sounded as if it'd be re-played but unfortunately not.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/03/06 at 7:26 pm

I think they're too lazy to do a 25 hour marathon... Their brains have been sucked in by "Laguna Beach" programmers.

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/03/06 at 7:39 pm

Great assortment..."Brass in Pocket" is one of my favorite songs. Can anybody find a link to the video?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/03/06 at 7:52 pm

Great assortment..."Brass in Pocket" is one of my favorite songs. Can anybody find a link to the video?

Just search YouTube.  It's there.

Check for new replies or respond here...