inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A rare 80's VCR game....need help

Written By: hadmybreaktoday on 07/27/06 at 3:12 pm

I am thinking of a game from the late 80's or early 90's that was a vcr game.  The game came with a tape that had video of a car driving along a road.  The game game with a steering wheel, and pedals, I think.  It also came with a miniature red car as well that you set up by the television.  I realize this is a poor description, but that's all I remember.  I think the box had Red and orange lettering with a picture of the car on it.

Dos anybody know what game/toy I am thinking of?

Thanx

Subject: h

Written By: tetratron on 07/28/06 at 1:02 am

:(

Subject: Re: A rare 80's VCR game....need help

Written By: mike on 07/30/06 at 6:43 pm

bump

Written By: PFunk on 07/07/10 at 3:45 pm

Uhgggg!!! I got this post when I was looking up this game. Sorry I can't remember what it was called but, I used to have this game. I fondly remember saving up my own money and getting this. It was fun but a pain to set up every time you wanted to play. I remember there was a road driving game followed by (as far as I can remember) a F1 street coarse race that was really hard. If I remember there was a apparatus that suctioned to the top of the TV that had a track that ran along the bottom of your screen that a tittle red car snapped on to. on the front of the car was a sensor that could read moving white lines (that followed the road, anything that was white was off-road). There was a steering wheel and thing that counted points (cant remember if it was LED timer or little rolling tumblers with #'s). Despite all this detail that I can remember ALAS I cannot remember what it was called. Oh well I hope this helps figure it out. If I find out I'll be back.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/08/10 at 9:31 pm

Could it be the Action Max?  I don't remember it, and therefore I don't remember it having a steering wheel peripheral. 

Here's a list of damn near every console ever released.  Any of the names here ring a bell?

Written By: clayton on 01/28/11 at 10:47 am

yes i remember this game..   i also can not remember the exact name... i am however trying to get the name so i can get another one... i had this game as a kid it has been atlreast 20 years.   i can not remember the name all i can think of is race driving or hard driving. (its not that obviously as i cant find anything for it) but i remember when i got this as a kid i played it all the time... if i remember correctly it did not had digital display it had number that turned on an old style counter. if anyone finds anything about this game please email me

clayton

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/29/11 at 1:38 am

i can not remember the name all i can think of is race driving or hard driving. (its not that obviously as i cant find anything for it) but i remember when i got this as a kid i played it all the time... if i remember correctly it did not had digital display it had number that turned on an old style counter. if anyone finds anything about this game please email me

clayton

Yeah, Hard Driving and Race Driving were early 3D-rendered Atari coin-op games of the late 80s.  (If you had one of those as a kid 20 years ago when they were brand-new and cost several thousand dollars, you'd remember :)

If you're thinking of a handheld game that was scored electromechanically, could it have been Newport 500?

http://www.davesvideoarcade.co.uk/tabletop/CastleToyNewport500.jpg

Tomy also did a long series of EM games.  How about Digital Derby?

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tomy/Tomy-Formula1.jpg

Digital Derby was released as Demon Driver, Black Racer, and Formula 1. 

Its 1976 predecessor was Drive You Crazy (or Swervin' Derby), which featured no scoring beyond a motor and a scrolling landscape.

A couple more late-70s Tomy electromechanical possibilities: Daring DriverDigital Daredevil?

Written By: daniel on 07/11/11 at 2:21 pm

yes i remember this game..   i also can not remember the exact name... i am however trying to get the name so i can get another one... i had this game as a kid it has been atlreast 20 years.   i can not remember the name all i can think of is race driving or hard driving. (its not that obviously as i cant find anything for it) but i remember when i got this as a kid i played it all the time... if i remember correctly it did not had digital display it had number that turned on an old style counter. if anyone finds anything about this game please email me

clayton

Hi, i too had this game as a kid and also stumbled across this thread as a result, have you had any joy in finding out what is was called?

regards, dan.

Written By: Daniel on 07/18/11 at 11:21 am

Yeah, Hard Driving and Race Driving were early 3D-rendered Atari coin-op games of the late 80s.  (If you had one of those as a kid 20 years ago when they were brand-new and cost several thousand dollars, you'd remember :)

If you're thinking of a handheld game that was scored electromechanically, could it have been Newport 500?

http://www.davesvideoarcade.co.uk/tabletop/CastleToyNewport500.jpg

Tomy also did a long series of EM games.  How about Digital Derby?

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tomy/Tomy-Formula1.jpg

Digital Derby was released as Demon Driver, Black Racer, and Formula 1. 

Its 1976 predecessor was Drive You Crazy (or Swervin' Derby), which featured no scoring beyond a motor and a scrolling landscape.

A couple more late-70s Tomy electromechanical possibilities: Daring DriverDigital Daredevil?
[/qu

After a lot of looking i have finally found it.....  http://www.consoledatabase.com/consoleinfo/videodriver/

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/19/11 at 12:33 am

Hi, i too had this game as a kid and also stumbled across this thread as a result, have you had any joy in finding out what is was called?

regards, dan.

Thanks!  (OK, so thank yourself - you did all the work!)

Video Driver.  

Here's a glimpse of the VHS tape and the original packaging, found by some dude at a flea market:

California Chase Road Race. (2:15-2:40ish)

And here's one on eBay:

Video Driver Game / Action GT / Sega / TV Driving Game

Written By: Jose Nolasco on 03/22/13 at 6:19 am

I've been looking for this game on and off for years. It came with the VHS tape of a road, a steering wheel modeled after a car's dashboard and it was red. I believe it was called Video Challenger and if you go to this website: http://planetarbitrary.com/2013/02/road-avenger-now-this-is-a-special-game/
they have a picture of it. In case my e-mail doesn't show up, drop me a line at jnol8@yahoo.com. I'd like to know if it was what you all were looking for.

Written By: Mickd on 09/30/13 at 7:12 am

http://youtu.be/UeRRp8aMLsw

Check for new replies or respond here...