inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I loved the 80's

Written By: Larry36 on 07/29/06 at 6:50 pm

1980's are awesome, why becouse I was born on 1970, and I remember everything when I was little 1979 I was 9 years old thats when i started injoying my years of the 80's man I really wished I can go back in those days again and go roller skating again and play 80's music and go play my old commodore 128D Computer, I had friends back in those days too my whole block was my friends, my faverite cartoons was Voltron, and the Legend of Doom, I used too lived in the City, Chicago I was born at, I still listen my great 80's music, and dressed llike I was in the 80's I hate hiphop songs and there pants people wear are stupid, people looks at me becouse I dont wear there same pants
and there hair duew, I will be 80's fan rest of my life, and I dont care people think about me let them look at me I dont care...
:\'(

people was born in the 1990's and loved the year 2000's music!
I know what other people like,
1950's loves 1960's
1960's loves 1970's
1970's loves 1980's
1980's loves 1990's
1990's loves 2000's
thats how I know! I see the past! Ive got ESP!

Subject: Re: I loved the 80's

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/30/06 at 1:02 am

1980's are awesome, why becouse I was born on 1970, and I remember everything when I was little 1979 I was 9 years old thats when i started injoying my years of the 80's man I really wished I can go back in those days again and go roller skating again and play 80's music and go play my old commodore 128D Computer, I had friends back in those days too my whole block was my friends, my faverite cartoons was Voltron, and the Legend of Doom, I used too lived in the City, Chicago I was born at, I still listen my great 80's music, and dressed llike I was in the 80's I hate hiphop songs and there pants people wear are stupid, people looks at me becouse I dont wear there same pants
and there hair duew, I will be 80's fan rest of my life, and I dont care people think about me let them look at me I dont care...

1950's loves 1960's
1960's loves 1970's
1970's loves 1980's
1980's loves 1990's
1990's loves 2000's

I love the '80s too, grew up with them. But....you can't make blanket statements about everyone like that, though. That was one of the things I despised, especially around, say Junior High, when people would automatically think I dug gangsta rap in the mid '90s, etc.

I was born in 1981 and my favorite pop cultural things span about 1979-1996. As far as memories as they happened, about the time I was 4 to 13 are what I recall the fondest (although in a reduced way I consider the '00s my time too). I did have a pretty cool childhood, so maybe that's part of it. ;)

Written By: Mushroom on 07/30/06 at 11:09 am

I was born in 1964, but I love the culture and "feel" of the 1980's the best.

That is probably largely because the 1970's were so crappy.  We went from the wild hippie days to Disco.  I still remember going to Junior High dances where over the loudspeakers they would be playing BeeGees and the like.  Now do not get me wrong, I love a lot of the music, but it was all the same damned thing!  Barry Mannilow is an awesome singer, but if you heard one of his songs, you have heard 80% of his songs.  It seems that like from 1976-1980 a lot of things just stagnated.

Movies were all remakes (Star Wars and 50 clones of it, Jaws - Orca - The Deep, Rocky and the 30 other "looser becomes champ" types of movies).  Even TV was crap, just mindless sitcom after mindless sitcom.  OK, do we see the alien who lives with the girl, or do we watch the guy who pretends he is gay who lives with 2 girls, or do we see the 2 guys that crossdress so they can live in a house full of girls?

The 80's were very dynamic.  We had a more "pop" flavor of Punk come out, and a new series of foreign groups and singer some in, reinvigorating our domestic music scene out of the doldrums of "yet another Disco song".  We had cable TV starting to put pressure on network tv, so they would take chances with 1 hour shows like Night Rider, Tales Of The Gold Monkey, and Greatest American Hero.  Music moved away from the AM radio band, and explode in popularity in the FM stereo bands.  FM DJs were now alive, talling off-colour jokes and playing new music, no longer sounding like there were all on qualudes and playing Laurence Welke and Al Stewart.

I reached adulthood in the early 1980's, and was able to really embrace all of the change.  That is when "my generation" fully came out of the closet, and embraced the VCR, Computer, Digital Watches, microwave ovens, loud colors, weird hairstyles, and everything else that came along.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/30/06 at 1:00 pm

I think alot of what the OP is saying is blatantly incorrect...people born in the last half of the '80s primarily love '00s music, for example, and people born in the late '60s seem to LOVE '80s music. I was born in the very early '90s (early 1990) and most of my favorite music was made from 1977-1998.

Written By: Dave79 on 07/30/06 at 1:27 pm

I love the '80s too, grew up with them. But....you can't make blanket statements about everyone like that, though. That was one of the things I despised, especially around, say Junior High, when people would automatically think I dug gangsta rap in the mid '90s, etc.

I was born in 1981 and my favorite pop cultural things span about 1979-1996. As far as memories as they happened, about the time I was 4 to 13 are what I recall the fondest (although in a reduced way I consider the '00s my time too). I did have a pretty cool childhood, so maybe that's part of it. ;)

Hey Marty.. I've seen you around these kinds of topics,  I lurked here for awhile before registering.

Anyway..

I love just about anything 80s, and about the first half of anything 90s.. I spent most of my childhood in the 80s, being born in `78. I miss the 80s alot, lots of good times. My favorite pop cultural period spans about 1974-94, I would say. But what call my 'time' would be from about `83-`96 ( school years)  I didn't quite catch the core of the 80s, but it was a great time in my life for sure.

--
Dave.

Written By: Dave79 on 07/30/06 at 1:33 pm

I think alot of what the OP is saying is blatantly incorrect...people born in the last half of the '80s primarily love '00s music, for example, and people born in the late '60s seem to LOVE '80s music. I was born in the very early '90s (early 1990) and most of my favorite music was made from 1977-1998.

Wow James, I had no idea people born in the 90s came around here, its awesome to have some of you here, maybe there are more of you 90s'ers on this forum to?

--
Dave.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/30/06 at 1:41 pm

Wow James, I had no idea people born in the 90s came around here, its awesome to have some of you here, maybe there are more of you 90s'ers on this forum to?

--
Dave.

Yeah, there are alot of people born '88-'91. However, I think it's silly when people born in like, '89 talk down to somebody born in '90 (not to accuse you of doing this)...the actual year difference is more important. I'm more like somebody born in 1986 than 1998, for example.

Written By: Dave79 on 07/30/06 at 2:27 pm

Yeah, there are alot of people born '88-'91. However, I think it's silly when people born in like, '89 talk down to somebody born in '90 (not to accuse you of doing this)...the actual year difference is more important. I'm more like somebody born in 1986 than 1998, for example.

Nope James I'm not "talking down" on you or anyone. I do agree someone born in 1998 is having different experiences then you right now. Same as someone born in example..`84 would have different experiences then myself, and again someone born in exp..`73 would have some different experiences then I did.  You were born in `90 so I would say your about 16 or so, a teen old enough to drive a car.. Someone born in 98.. is just a little kid and is having totally different experiences then yourself. As for a '89er "talking down" on you, an 89'er would have almost the same experiences as you, I say almost because one year might a difference on a few things..but really they have no room to talk. Its only a 1 year difference..

---
Dave.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/30/06 at 3:44 pm

Nope James I'm not "talking down" on you or anyone. I do agree someone born in 1998 is having different experiences then you right now. Same as someone born in example..`84 would have different experiences then myself, and again someone born in exp..`73 would have some different experiences then I did.  You were born in `90 so I would say your about 16 or so, a teen old enough to drive a car.. Someone born in 98.. is just a little kid and is having totally different experiences then yourself. As for a '89er "talking down" on you, an 89'er would have almost the same experiences as you, I say almost because one year might a difference on a few things..but really they have no room to talk. Its only a 1 year difference..

---
Dave.

Oh no, I wasn't accusing you of it  ;).

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/30/06 at 3:51 pm

Hey Marty.. I've seen you around these kinds of topics,  I lurked here for awhile before registering.

Anyway..

I love just about anything 80s, and about the first half of anything 90s.. I spent most of my childhood in the 80s, being born in `78. I miss the 80s alot, lots of good times. My favorite pop cultural period spans about 1974-94, I would say. But what call my 'time' would be from about `83-`96 ( school years)  I didn't quite catch the core of the 80s, but it was a great time in my life for sure.

--
Dave.

Thanks dude, I agree with you. :)

Just wondering, did you (or any of your peers for that matter) ever feel the pressure to "go 90s" around, say 1993? I know alot of people your age who grew up with the '80s (and probably loved it as kids), but at the same time were totally into grunge and rejected the '80s in the '90s.

Written By: Dave79 on 07/30/06 at 6:38 pm

Thanks dude, I agree with you. :)

Just wondering, did you (or any of your peers for that matter) ever feel the pressure to "go 90s" around, say 1993? I know alot of people your age who grew up with the '80s (and probably loved it as kids), but at the same time were totally into grunge and rejected the '80s in the '90s.

Yea Marty.. we loved growing up in the 80s, by the time I entered high school, grunge was just starting to get cranked up around my area, Alot people in my grade loved what was left of the 80s feel, but then again there was kind of a feel to leave anything 80's behind, it was old as dirt by then. I myself got into the grunge thing around mid/late `92. I remember going to the mall they played fluff from the late 80s/early 90s fluff one week and almost overnight it changed, as if 80s are GONE forever and its time to move on.

Your an 81'er right.. So many times Ive heard how you guys, and your `82 and maybe your `83 counterparts feel left out of just about anything.. Is this how you feel? 
--
Dave.

Written By: Dave79 on 07/30/06 at 6:42 pm

Oh no, I wasn't accusing you of it  ;).

Yea man, of course not.

--
Dave.

Written By: rich1981 on 07/30/06 at 6:56 pm

Well, regardless of being born in 1981, I still loved the 80's the most even though the 90's were a strong influence as well. I was never really into the whole grunge scene though but casually enjoyed listening to it on the radio.  I prefer the music from 1976 - 1997 myself.

Written By: Roadgeek on 07/30/06 at 7:14 pm

Well, I was born in 1989 so I missed most of the '80s. :\'( Oh well, I'm glad I was around for the good old '90s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/30/06 at 7:24 pm

Yea Marty.. we loved growing up in the 80s, by the time I entered high school, grunge was just starting to get cranked up around my area, Alot people in my grade loved what was left of the 80s feel, but then again there was kind of a feel to leave anything 80's behind, it was old as dirt by then. I myself got into the grunge thing around mid/late `92. I remember going to the mall they played fluff from the late 80s/early 90s fluff one week and almost overnight it changed, as if 80s are GONE forever and its time to move on.

Your an 81'er right.. So many times Ive heard how you guys, and your `82 and maybe your `83 counterparts feel left out of just about anything.. Is this how you feel? 
--
Dave.

Yeah, Fall of '81 (so I'm a school year '82er ;) - graduated in 2000).

I never was a big fan of grunge, but I liked some of the songs and certainly didn't have any hatred for it. I like a wider scope of '80s music, whereas my favorite '90s music was always a little more selective. Mainly pop, ballads or mainstream rock.

Yeah, I suppose I feel a little "in between" (like you said, 1981-83ers probably have this in common) in that I was a little too young for the grunge culture -- in a teenage sense -- and a little too old for the Britney/NSync stuff popular around Y2K.

I do think however, that I have a slight preference to '90s movies and TV shows.

Written By: robby76 on 07/31/06 at 2:10 am

And I loved them too! My forum stats are proof alone. I think 85% of my posts since joining have been in this very section.

Anyway I digress... so being born in 76 my timeframe is hard to calculate as I've always felt a part of everything. My fave nostalgia years culturally I'd say are from 1976 (loved late 70s tv) to 1992.

Mushroom I loved your post! Very true about how the early 80s really turned around television. Even though I was young I still remember shows like Automan and Airwolf blowing us away! But I still love the "safe" stuff from the late 70s... Eight Is Enough, Hardy Boys Nancy Drew Mysteries etc were a nice period. Boring, but nice.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/31/06 at 12:48 pm

I was rather young in the '80s, (about 7 1/2 when they ended) but I still have a deep fondess for those times and I remember a lot of things that were very "'80s."

Written By: kairi747 on 08/03/06 at 12:01 pm

well, i was born in 1963 and i love the 80's - i'm still mentally there!  my son, born in 1996 also loves the 80's - fashion, music, etc.  and it's not only due to my influence, my daughter, born in '94 is totally into the mainstream pop music of today.  the 80's was just FUN music.  maybe that's why it's so popular!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/08/06 at 12:22 pm

1950's loves 1960's
1960's loves 1970's
1970's loves 1980's
1980's loves 1990's
1990's loves 2000's

Actually I was born in 1987 and I love the '80s too. Admittedly I prefer my childhood years in the '90s, but I'm still a huge '80s fan. From my experience though, people born after about 1985 tend to prefer the 2000's to the '90s, same with the '70s born people, they tend to prefer the '90s. And I think those born after '95 probably wont be that interested in 2000's stuff when they get older either.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/08/06 at 12:49 pm

Actually I was born in 1987 and I love the '80s too. Admittedly I prefer my childhood years in the '90s, but I'm still a huge '80s fan. From my experience though, people born after about 1985 tend to prefer the 2000's to the '90s, same with the '70s. And I think those born after '95 probably wont be that interested in 2000's stuff when they get older either.

Before this '80s wave came in, I was very much a '70s music fan and my heart still belongs to that time. I think some of the main reason I attatch myself the '80s is more based on memories and reliving certain times..

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/08/06 at 4:30 pm

Before this '80s wave came in, I was very much a '70s music fan and my heart still belongs to that time. I think some of the main reason I attatch myself the '80s is more based on memories and reliving certain times..

Yeah, i'm the same way. I actually prefer '80s music to 00's or even '90s music. Don't get me wrong I love '90s music, but my nostalgia for the '90s tends to be more based on my personal memories than anything else. With the '80s(esp. the late '80s) I get a sense of it being remotely 'my time' since I was there, but since I cant remember it, it sort of sparks my intrest for the pop culture of the decade.

Check for new replies or respond here...