inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Analysis of Prince's Hit Singles (1982-1987)

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/30/06 at 4:26 pm

"1999" (US #12, US R&B #4, US Dance #1, UK #25), 1982-This classic party anthem established many of Prince's themes that have dominated for the rest of his career, among them the combination of sex and religion and references to the apocalypse and judgment day. There's even a voice representing God on the album version (which I think is far superior to the single release.) As for genre, I'd call it electrofunk-pop.
"Little Red Corvette" (US #6, US R&B #15, US Dance #61, UK #54), 1983-This is the second Prince track I'd call a "song for the century." The "Little Red Corvette" is a reference to a woman's genitalia, well-concealed. The song manages to combine '50s/'60s nostalgia for losing your virginity in a classic car with a contemporary '80sness. It's a synth ballad with some of the best, sensual synths ever to be recorded and some great poppy guitar work. The full-rock chorus and drum machine/synth slow build up was hugely influential on the future power ballad.
"Delirious" (US #8, US R&B #18), 1983-One of Prince's most original songs. I think he had been challenging his status as a black R&B artist since 1980, but this is one of the songs that fully breaks out of this mold. It's rockabilly-influenced new wave pop, with a highly infectious attitude.
"Let's Pretend We're Married" (US #52, US R&B #55, US Dance #52), 1983-This track was prevented from getting full airplay and respect due to its sexually explicit themes (i.e. "I want to f*ck the taste right out of your mouth.") Personally, I think it's one of Prince's best, combining orgiastic sexual danceability with the a capella ending referencing salvation. It's the perfect dance-pop funk song.
"When Doves Cry" (US #1, US R&B #1, US Dance #1, UK #4), 1984-Both the biggest hit of 1984 and Prince's signature song. This song took music in a direction it had never seen before: modern, funky black dance-pop music freed from all the conventions of 1960s and 1970s soul, funk, and disco, and synthesizing it perfectly without an ounce of cheese with synthesizers. One of the sexiest songs ever written. One of the most interesting things about it is its lack of a bass guitar, the electric guitar and drum machine intro, and the classical keyboard at the end.
"Let's Go Crazy" (US #1, US R&B #1, US Dance #1, UK #7), 1984-Prince's contribution to arena rock and hard rock-pop. The perfect crossover song, attaining extreme popularity among all races.

I will post more later.

Subject: Re: Analysis of Prince's Hit Singles (1982-1987)

Written By: bj26 on 07/31/06 at 3:23 pm

Pop Life - nice funky beat, I really liked the vocals with Prince and I think her name was Wendy, it was beautiful

Rasberry Beret - nice pop song, I think the main instrument was a synthesizer playing the lead.

Pleas give more analysis, I like to read what you say.

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/03/06 at 7:17 pm

Bump...later tonight I'm posting more on this...

Written By: retroplanet on 08/05/06 at 1:08 am

Pop Life is a great tune

www.HulkHoganCollector.com

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/05/06 at 3:04 am

I think Little Red Corvette boasts the greatest opening line of any pop song ever. "I guess I should've known by the way you parked your car sideways that it wouldn't last." So pithy!

My other favorites are "I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man" and "When You Were Mine." The emotion expressed my Prince's voice in "I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man" just seems high flying like a gospel song when he says "She asked me if we could be friends and I said 'Oh honey baby that's a dead end/You know and I know that we wouldn't be satisfied.'" Just the way he sounds makes me want to throw my hands up and testify, and I do when singing along in the car.
"When You Were Mine" just plain out makes me feel nostalgic: for my old friends and the simpler black and white perception of the world of my teen years. Doesn't matter what version. There's even an acoustic version by some dude that was featured in Hot Dog The Movie and its great.

Written By: Satish on 08/05/06 at 8:46 pm

I actually really like Jordan Knight's cover of "I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man" from 1999. It even put a new spin on the song, turning it into a slow, mellow-sounding ballad.

Written By: vinyl lover on 08/05/06 at 10:57 pm

analyze these.....international lover...........jack u off.............darling nikki.........erotic city??????

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/06/06 at 2:39 am

erotic city??????

"every time i comb my hair/thoughts of u get in my eyes"
Silly lyrics. Its a very playful song.

Written By: Chasey on 08/06/06 at 2:09 pm

""When Doves Cry" (US #1, US R&B #1, US Dance #1, UK #4), 1984-Both the biggest hit of 1984 and Prince's signature song. This song took music in a direction it had never seen before: modern, funky black dance-pop music freed from all the conventions of 1960s and 1970s soul, funk, and disco, and synthesizing it perfectly without an ounce of cheese with synthesizers. One of the sexiest songs ever written.

The two points I'd like to make here are that firstly, 'When Doves Cry' does in fact use synth.... during the closing stages a nice background synth riff kicks in. 

And the second point being that I'd like to know who decreed that the use of synthesizers was 'cheesy'?!

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/08/06 at 4:51 am

analyze these.....international lover...........jack u off.............darling nikki.........erotic city??????

Cool, all album tracks. I've heard "Jack U Off" but I'm not cool enough on it for analysis.

"International Lover" (1982)-A great Prince ballad, wistful and seductive, and a closer to the nonstop party that is 1999. It has the "after the party" feeling that only Soft Cell really matches, honestly, in stuff like "Bedsitter" and "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye."
"Darling Nikki" (1984)-I think this has the best guitar part of any Prince song, a shocking buildup that for simple audacity could match or beat most arena rock classics, becoming gradually more insistent as the song builds up. It also encapsulates and summarizes pretty well two of Prince's principal themes, loneliness and sex. Prince, by mysterious chance, meets a lonely Nikki "masturbating in a hotel lobby with a magazine", two lonely, isolated lovers touched by human contact. The passion of the contact builds in intensity to the sobbing climax of abandonment, and then a religious utterment said backwards at the end. Prince at his best.
"When You Were Mine" (1980)-One of my favorite Prince songs, actually. It's a sorrowful, melancholy new wave track reminiscent of say, Squeeze's "Labelled With Love." Of course, Prince's trademark subversity shows its head: its about a three way whose failure is that Prince's girl leaves him for the other guy involved in the fateful menage a trois.

"I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man" (1987, #10 US and #29 UK)-A Prince classic, featuring Sheila E on drums that is actually a "reworking of a 1982 composition." It has two guitar solos and uniquely features dual drum machines and Sheila E's live drumming. I think it's a great "soul-rock" song, that's amazingly musically uplifting as Amanda Sparks mentioned, meanwhile actually being a sad song (Prince rejects a lonely woman.) Cool video, too.
"Pop Life" (1985, #7 US and #60 UK)-Oy, another great Prince track (though I personally prefer it to "I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man.") A subtle anti-drug message with a very "modern for '85 sounding" crystalline, crisp, almost glassy drum machine beat and the use of musique concrete. Some of Prince's best lyrics and his first foray into social commentary.

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/09/06 at 8:06 am

Bump.

Check for new replies or respond here...