inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dire Straits

Written By: whistledog on 08/02/06 at 9:53 pm

Dire Straits were a British Rock band who came to fame in the 80s and late 70s

http://www.hipersonica.com/images/dire_straits.jpg

-- BIOGRAPHY --

Dire Straits emerged during the post-punk era of the late '70s, and while their sound was minimalistic and stripped down, they owed little to punk. If anything, the band was a direct outgrowth of the roots revivalism of pub rock, but where pub rock celebrated good times, Dire Straits were melancholy. Led by guitarist/vocalist Mark Knopfler, the group built their sound upon the laid-back blues-rock of J.J. Cale, but they also had jazz and country inflections, occasionally dipping into the epic song structures of progressive rock.

The band's music was offset by Knopfler's lyrics, which approximated the winding, stream-of-conscious narratives of Bob Dylan. As their career progressed, Dire Straits became more refined and their new maturity happened to coincide with the rise of MTV and the compact disc. These two musical revolutions from the mid-'80s helped make Dire Straits' sixth album, Brothers in Arms, an international blockbuster. The band -- along with Eric Clapton, Phil Collins, and Steve Winwood -- become one of the leaders of a group of self-consciously mature veteran rock & rollers in the late '80s that designed their music to appeal to aging baby boomers. Despite the band's international success, they couldn't sustain their stardom, waiting a full six years to deliver a follow-up to Brothers in Arms, by which time their audience had shrunk significantly.

Knopfler (born August 12, 1949) was always the main force behind Dire Straits. The son of an architect, Knopfler studied English literature at Leeds University and worked briefly as a rock critic for the Yorkshire Evening Post while at college. He began teaching English after his graduation, leading a pub rock band called Brewer's Droop at night. By 1977, Mark was playing with his brother David (guitar) and his roommate John Illsley (bass). During the summer of 1977, the trio cut a demo with drummer Pick Withers. A London DJ named Charlie Gillett heard the demo and began playing "Sultans of Swing" on his BBC show Honky Tonkin'. Following a tour opening for Talking Heads, the band began recording their debut for Vertigo Records with producer Muff Winwood in early 1978. By the summer, they had signed with Warner in America, releasing their eponymous debut in the fall. Thanks to the Top Ten hit "Sultans of Swing," Dire Straits was a major success in both Britain and America, with the single and album climbing into the Top Ten on both sides of the Atlantic.

Dire Straits established Dire Straits as a major force on album-oriented radio in America, and their second album, Communique (1979), consolidated their audience, selling three million copies worldwide. As the group was recording its third album, Knopfler left the band to pursue a solo career; he was replaced by former Darling member Hal Lindes. Like its predecessor, Making Movies was a sizable hit in America and Britain, even though the band was criticized for musically treading water. Nevertheless, the record went gold on the strength of the radio and MTV hits "Romeo and Juliet" and "Skateaway." Dire Straits followed the album two years later with Love Over Gold, an album filled with long, experimental passages, plus the single "Private Investigations," which became a number two hit in the U.K. The album went gold in America and spent four weeks at number one in Britain. Shortly after the release of Love Over Gold, former Rockpile drummer Terry Williams replaced Withers.

During 1982, Knopfler began exploring musical avenues outside of Dire Straits, scoring the Bill Forsyth film Local Hero and playing on Van Morrison's Beautiful Vision. Apart from releasing the Twisting by the Pool EP early in 1983, Dire Straits were quiet for the majority of 1983 and 1984, as Knopfler produced Bob Dylan's Infidels, as well as Aztec Camera and Willy DeVille; he also wrote "Private Dancer for Tina Turner's comeback album. In the spring of 1984, the band released the double album Alchemy: Dire Straits Live and by the end of the year, they had begun recording their fifth studio album with their new keyboardist, Guy Fletcher. Released in the summer of 1985, Brothers in Arms was Dire Straits' breakthrough album, making the band international stars. Supported by the groundbreaking computer-animated video for "Money for Nothing," a song which mocked music videos, the album became a blockbuster, spending nine weeks at the top of the American charts and selling over nine million copies; in England, the album became the biggest-selling album of the '80s. "Walk of Life" and "So Far Away" kept Brothers in Arms in the charts through 1986, and Dire Straits played over 200 dates in support of the album. Once the tour was completed, Dire Straits went on hiatus for several years, as Knopfler produced records by Randy Newman and Joan Armatrading, scored films, toured with Eric Clapton, and recorded a duet album with Chet Atkins (Neck and Neck, 1990). In 1989, he formed the country-rock group Notting Hillbillies, whose sole album, Missing...Presumed Having a Good Time, became a British hit upon its spring 1990 release. During the extended time off, John Illsley recorded his second album; the first appeared in 1984.

In 1990, Knopfler reconvened Dire Straits, which now featured Illsley, Clark, Fletcher, and various session musicians. The band released On Every Street in the fall of 1991 to great anticipation. However, the album failed to meet expectations -- it only went platinum in America and it didn't crack the U.K. Top 40 -- and failed to generate a hit single. Similarly, the tour was a disappointment, with many tickets going unsold in both the U.S. and Europe. Once the tour was completed, the live album On the Night was released in the spring of 1993 and the band again went on hiatus. In 1996, Knopfler launched his solo career with Golden Heart

Courtesy of Vh-1

-- ALBUMS --

(Dire Straits)
Year 1979 1979 1980 1982 1983 1984 1985 1988 1991 1993199519982005

Album Title Dire Straits Communique Making MoviesLove Over GoldTwisting by the PoolAlchemy <Live>Brothers in ArmsMoney For NothingOn Every StreetOn the NightLive at the BBC Sultans of Swing: The Very Best of Dire Straits Private Investigations - The Best of Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler

(Mark Knopfler)
Year 1983 1984 1987 1990 1996 2000 2002 2004 2006

Album Title Local Hero <Soundtrack> Cal <Soundtrack> The Princess Bride <Soundtrack>Neck and Neck <w/ Chet Atkins>Golden HeartSailing to PhiladelphiaThe Ragpicker's DreamShangri-LaAll the Roadrunning <w/ Emmylou Harris>

(David Knopfler)
Year 1983

Album Title Release

-- SINGLES --

(Dire Straits)
Year 1978 1979 1980 1980 1981 1982 1982 1983 1984 19851985 1985 1986 1986 1988 1991 1992 1992 1992 1993 1993

Song Title Sultans of Swing Lady Writer Romeo and Juliet Skateaway Tunnel of Love Private Investigations Industrial Disease Twisting by the Pool Love Over Gold <Live> Walk of Life Money For Nothing Brothers in Arms So Far Away Your Latest Trick Sultans of Swing <re-issue> Calling Elvis Heavy Fuel On Every Street The Bug Encores Live <EP> Your Latest Trick <Live>

United Kingdom #8 #51 #8 #37 #54 #2 -- #14 #50#2#4 #16 #20 #26 #62 #21 #55 #42 #67 #31 --

Canada #4 #51 -- -- -- -- #18 #18 --#7#1 -- #24 -- -- #4 #17 -- #21 -- #91

United States #4 #45 --#58----#75----#7#1 -- #19 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

(Mark Knopfler)
Year 1983 1996 1996 1996 1996 2002 2004

Song Title Going Home (Theme From Local Hero) Darling Pretty Imelda Don't You Get It Cannibals Why Aye Man Boom, Like That

United Kingdom #56 #33 -- -- #42 #81 #34

Canada -- #12 #59 #62 -- -- --

United States -- -- -- --------

(David Knopfler)
Year 1983

Song Title Soul Kissing

United Kingdom #87

Canada --

United States --

-- MUSIC VIDEOS --

Brothers in Arms | The Bug | Love Over Gold <Live> | Money For Nothing | Romeo and Juliet | Skateaway | So Far Away | Sultans of Swing | Tunnel of Love | Walk of Life

Subject: Re: Dire Straits

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/02/06 at 11:22 pm

I love Dire Straits.  Sultans of Swing is my favorite song.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/03/06 at 1:02 am

^Same here. I also like "Brothers in Arms" and "Money for Nothing".

Written By: karen on 08/03/06 at 6:33 am

Dire Straits established Dire Straits as a major force on album-oriented radio in America, and their second album, Communique (1979), consolidated their audience, selling three million copies worldwide. As the group was recording its third album, Knopfler left the band to pursue a solo career; he was replaced by former Darling member Hal Lindes. Like its predecessor, Making Movies was a sizable hit in America and Britain, even though the band was criticized for musically treading water. Nevertheless, the record went gold on the strength of the radio and MTV hits "Romeo and Juliet" and "Skateaway." Dire Straits followed the album two years later with Love Over Gold, an album filled with long, experimental passages, plus the single "Private Investigations," which became a number two hit in the U.K. The album went gold in America and spent four weeks at number one in Britain. Shortly after the release of Love Over Gold, former Rockpile drummer Terry Williams replaced Withers.

During 1982, Knopfler began exploring musical avenues outside of Dire Straits, scoring the Bill Forsyth film Local Hero and playing on Van Morrison's Beautiful Vision. Apart from releasing the Twisting by the Pool EP early in 1983, Dire Straits were quiet for the majority of 1983 and 1984, as Knopfler produced Bob Dylan's Infidels, as well as Aztec Camera and Willy DeVille; he also wrote "Private Dancer for Tina Turner's comeback album.

So when did he rejoin?

Written By: Davester on 08/03/06 at 6:39 am

Brothers In Arms is an album I could absolutely, positively not live without...

go ;)...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/03/06 at 9:11 am

Like what others said, Sultans of Swing and Money for Nothing are my favs (even though Money for Nothing was a bit overplayed but still love the song).

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 08/03/06 at 10:37 am

So when did he rejoin?

That was Mark's brother Dave Knopfler who left the group

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/03/06 at 1:49 pm

'Sultans Of Swing' is my favorite Dire Straits song... 8)

Written By: whistledog on 08/03/06 at 10:30 pm

I always liked "Calling Elvis" the best.  I remember hearing that alot on the radio.  I knew it was a big hit here, but I didn't realize just how big until I researched the chart peaks  :o

Written By: karen on 08/04/06 at 3:51 am

That was Mark's brother Dave Knopfler who left the group

the article didn't make that clear did it?

Written By: whistledog on 08/04/06 at 4:08 am

the article didn't make that clear did it?

No.  The article came from Vh-1, so I'm not surprised ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/08/06 at 5:41 pm

Dire Straits has proved to be one of those groups that you can keep discovering and find some little gems you never knew existed. My boyfriend owns most of Dire Straits material as well as Mark Knopfler's solo work. I have grown a deep fondness for their music. Some of my favorites by them are:

On Every Street
The Bug
Private Investigations
Love Over Gold
So Far Away
Romeo and Juliet
Sultans of Swing
Walk of Life
Your Latest Trick
Brothers in Arms
Why Worry
Tunnel of Love

Written By: Davester on 08/08/06 at 10:08 pm

Dire Straits has proved to be one of those groups that you can keep discovering and find some little gems you never knew existed.

Yeap...

I originally bought Brothers In Arms when released back in '85 mostly for the popular Money For Nothing and learned to really enjoy Dire Straits one song at a time groove ;) on...

Written By: DJ Midas on 08/08/06 at 10:24 pm

My faves are "Money For Nothing", "Sultans Of Swing" and "Twisting By The Pool".  :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/23/06 at 6:31 pm

Just wondered, how much of their stuff is "pop"?

The first three songs on Brothers in Arms -- So Far Away, Money For Nothing, Walk of Life -- sound nothing like the rest of the album (although "So Far Away" would probably be the closest), which is more progressive jazz. I never really could get into it.

Besides those 3 hits and "Sultans of Swing", I've never heard anything by them on the radio or anything (of course that doesn't mean it's not good, lol).

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/23/06 at 6:37 pm

Just wondered, how much of their stuff is "pop"?

The first three songs on Brothers in Arms -- So Far Away, Money For Nothing, Walk of Life -- sound nothing like the rest of the album (although "So Far Away" would probably be the closest), which is more progressive jazz. I never really could get into it.

Besides those 3 hits and "Sultans of Swing", I've never heard anything by them on the radio or anything (of course that doesn't mean it's not good, lol).

They had minor hits afterwards but nothing quite as "popular" as Brothers In Arms. A good portion of that album I love, maybe omitting 2 or 3 less popular tracks. The list above that I made would have a good mix of their best stuff (in my opinion) between the late '70s to 1991.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/23/06 at 6:46 pm

They had minor hits afterwards but nothing quite as "popular" as Brothers In Arms. A good portion of that album I love, maybe omitting 2 or 3 less popular tracks. The list above that I made would have a good mix of their best stuff (in my opinion) between the late '70s to 1991.

Oh cool. Didn't the title track of BIA have a music video, too? I should listen to the second side of the album and give that another chance (it was "Your Latest Trick" coming after the fun "Walk of Life" that probably disinterested me, lol).

I also watched VH1 alot from 1990-92 and I actually remember hearing about their then-new album, but can't recall if they showed any of the videos/singles.

Written By: Davester on 08/23/06 at 9:59 pm

Forget about the Brothers In Arms  singles, "Walk of Life" and "Money For Nothing".  Those aren't even the best songs on the album...

The lesser known tracks were the pleasant suprise, even though "Money For Nothing" is what pulled me in...

groove ;) on... 

Written By: nally on 09/07/06 at 6:58 pm

Like what others said, Sultans of Swing and Money for Nothing are my favs (even though Money for Nothing was a bit overplayed but still love the song).

Cat

Those two are my faves as well from them. O0 "Money For Nothing" may have been overplayed (especially the long version, which is a whopping 8 minutes long) but I enjoy it. I also enjoy Weird Al's version of that song, where he sings the Beverly Hillbillies theme song's lyrics to the tune of MFN.

Written By: Paul on 09/08/06 at 7:13 am

I never really liked it at the time, but 'Private Investigations' is a very worthwhile listen...

It's said that the LP it came off of, 'Love Over Gold', was mostly bought by people who had expensive hi-fis, such was the quality of the recording and mastering...

When 'Brothers In Arms' came along, it was then said that most people bought it because of the newfangled CD technology...(can't win, can you?  ;))

'Brothers In Arms' was also released as a CD single, one of the first (if not the first) releases of this type in Britain...it's worth a bomb these days...

Trouble is, how do you follow up something like 'Brothers In Arms'?

With great difficulty...as the band found out!

Written By: Gis on 09/08/06 at 8:26 am

Romeo and Juliet is my favourite.

Written By: nally on 09/08/06 at 5:59 pm

Oh, I also like "Walk Of Life"...but not as much as "MFN" or "SOS".

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/08/06 at 6:51 pm

I never really liked it at the time, but 'Private Investigations' is a very worthwhile listen...

It's said that the LP it came off of, 'Love Over Gold', was mostly bought by people who had expensive hi-fis, such was the quality of the recording and mastering...

When 'Brothers In Arms' came along, it was then said that most people bought it because of the newfangled CD technology...(can't win, can you?  ;))

'Brothers In Arms' was also released as a CD single, one of the first (if not the first) releases of this type in Britain...it's worth a bomb these days...

Trouble is, how do you follow up something like 'Brothers In Arms'?

With great difficulty...as the band found out!

I'm a big fan of the song "Private Investigations" as well as the album "Love Over Gold" My boyfriend has a CD copy of Brothers in Arms from the actual year it was released, and it looks like it's taken quite a beating.

Their album from 1991 "On Every Street" is rather good. I don't know who have listened to it, but it's worth as much a listen as Brothers in Arms.

Written By: Powerslave on 09/09/06 at 5:16 am

Love Over Gold is my favourite Dire Straits album.

Written By: whistledog on 09/09/06 at 4:54 pm

I'm a big fan of the song "Private Investigations" as well as the album "Love Over Gold" My boyfriend has a CD copy of Brothers in Arms from the actual year it was released, and it looks like it's taken quite a beating.

Their album from 1991 "On Every Street" is rather good. I don't know who have listened to it, but it's worth as much a listen as Brothers in Arms.

"On Every Street" was the first ever Dire Straits album I owned.  I used to love hearing "Calling Elvis" and "Heavy Fuel" on the radio 8)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/10/06 at 12:47 pm

'So Far Away' is a good song, and I think I liked it more because it wasn't played as much as some of the other tracks from Brothers In Arms...

Written By: pink daisy on 12/18/06 at 8:06 am

You can't knock Dire Straits.  If you haven't heard it, check out the 'Making Movies' album - one of my favourite albums of all time.  The track 'Hand in Hand' is the sweetest, most haunting love song.  Makes me cry... :\'(

Written By: Snoopygirl on 12/18/06 at 5:51 pm

I enjoy listening to Dire Straits. The stations here mostly play Sultans of Swing. Second is Money for Nothing.
My favorites are:

Industrial Disease
Skateaway
Twisting by the Pool
Walk of Life

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/18/06 at 9:49 pm

Walk of Life, Brothers in Arms, Industrial Disease = my favourites. I've heard Sultans of Swing & Money For Nothing way too often that they have sorta died on me.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 12/23/06 at 9:39 am

Oh cool. Didn't the title track of BIA have a music video, too?

Yes; it had a mixed animation/live-action video similar to A-Ha's Take On Me.

Their "poppiest" song is probably Twisting By The Pool.

Fun fact: in the 4th book of Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy series, Arthur and Fenchurch make love to the Dire Straits song Tunnel Of Love.

Check for new replies or respond here...