inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: First Crush in the 80s

Written By: P.E.D. on 08/04/06 at 10:11 am

Guys or girls..if you are in your late 20s or early 30s..who was your first true celeb/music/actor crush in the 80s? Believe it or not, I thought Tina Yothers from Family Ties was cute (still do lol)..Justine was nice too but a lil overrated..I also had a thing for Tiffany, Staci Keanan, Martika and Ami Dolenz, among others.

Subject: Re: First Crush in the 80s

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/04/06 at 4:04 pm

Guys or girls..if you are in your late 20s or early 30s..who was your first true celeb/music/actor crush in the 80s? Believe it or not, I thought Tina Yothers from Family Ties was cute (still do lol)..Justine was nice too but a lil overrated..I also had a thing for Tiffany, Staci Keanan, Martika and Ami Dolenz, among others.

I'm in my mid 20's, but I still had some crushes form in the 1980s - These were a few -

- Harrison Ford (Indiana Jones to blame)
- Andrew McCarthy
- James Spader
- New Kids on the Block

Written By: whistledog on 08/05/06 at 1:10 am

I had a crush on Candi, this Canadian teen singer who had a handful of homegrown hits between 1988-1991.  She sounded good, and looked great in her videos, and I was a BIG fan!

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/05/06 at 2:56 am

I was seriously liking Rick Springfield in the early 80s. In the late 80s I had crushes on Ad Rock from the Beastie Boys (WTF?) and Patrick Swayze. Oh, and Corey Feldman, natch.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 08/05/06 at 6:08 am

John Taylor

Written By: woops on 08/05/06 at 6:23 am

http://jwilson09.tripod.com/images/debbie_gibson.jpg

I'm in my early 20's and one of my crushes was a  pop princess in the '80's... besides Alyssa Milano

I've been told by relatives that some 5 year old liked Paula Abdul, but I doubt it...

Written By: Criz on 08/05/06 at 7:20 am

Jason Donovan all the way... ;)

Written By: vinyl lover on 08/05/06 at 10:22 pm

brooke shields made me want to ;)...she was so hot!!!!!!!!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/05/06 at 11:24 pm

Jason Bateman as he starred in Valerie/The Hogans. He was really major to me; however, I do remember liking Michael J. Fox as Alex P. Keaton.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/06/06 at 5:04 am

I'm afraid I'm a bit young for that...well, a 3 year old having a crush on ANYONE is more than a little disturbing...

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/06/06 at 5:47 am

I'm afraid I'm a bit young for that...well, a 3 year old having a crush on ANYONE is more than a little disturbing...

Yeah but, you could've had a crush on an '80s celeb, say from a movie, when you were 10 in 1996. ;D

As a kid, I liked c. 1984 Madonna (I even thought she sounded cute). Because music was my first influence growing up (tied with video games), most of my '80s crushes tended to be female artists. I sorta could squeeze that in almost as the '80s actually happened too (i.e. watching music videos in 1990).

If we're talking about later on: Lea Thompson (Lorraine) from Back to the Future. ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/06/06 at 5:57 am

Yeah but, you could've had a crush on an '80s celeb, say from a movie, when you were 10 in 1996. ;D

As a kid, I liked c. 1984 Madonna (I even thought she sounded cute). Because music was my first influence growing up (tied with video games), most of my '80s crushes tended to be female artists. I sorta could squeeze that in almost as the '80s actually happened too (i.e. watching music videos in 1990).

If we're talking about later on: Lea Thompson (Lorraine) from Back to the Future. ;)

Hmmm, I sort of liked Michelle Pfeiffer in the Scarface era, Madonna circa 1984 was quite a hottie  :D (even today she doesn't polish up too poorly). Phoebe Cates from 'Fast Times at Ridgemount High', Cindy Crawford.etc, lots of ones I probably forgot.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/06/06 at 6:05 am

Hmmm, I sort of liked Michelle Pfeiffer in the Scarface era, Madonna circa 1984 was quite a hottie  :D (even today she doesn't polish up too poorly). Phoebe Cates from 'Fast Times at Ridgemount High', Cindy Crawford.etc, lots of ones I probably forgot.

I most remember Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman, lol.

I always hear people rag on Madonna's looks today, as well as her music and celebrity status (or use lame general insults - i.e. "Dude, she's old"), which I think is pretty harsh. She has gone through so many "eras" and looks, but I think she only looks about 10 or 12 years older than her 1984 self. Today, she sort of has that "cute soccer mom" look IMO.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/06/06 at 6:19 am

I most remember Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman, lol.

I always hear people rag on Madonna's looks today, as well as her music and celebrity status (or use lame general insults - i.e. "Dude, she's old"), which I think is pretty harsh. She has gone through so many "eras" and looks, but I think she only looks about 10 or 12 years older than her 1984 self. Today, she sort of has that "cute soccer mom" look IMO.

And at least her face isn't half plastic like most her age (how much P.S, if any has she had?). She might be about my mum's age, but unlike most of her contempararies, I think there's an agelessness about her. I dunno about being a 'cute soccer mom' lol, but she definitely is in a different league to most 47yos.

Written By: Dave79 on 08/06/06 at 11:20 pm

And I thought I was the only one that was interested in Lea! Most of my friends never liked her even by  Part II/III. Oh well..

--
Dave.

Written By: airsupplyairhead on 08/07/06 at 11:49 am

I loved and still love Air Supply's Russell Hitchcocock.

Written By: P.E.D. on 08/07/06 at 3:29 pm

And I thought I was the only one that was interested in Lea! Most of my friends never liked her even by  Part II/III. Oh well..

--
Dave.

Oh, even as a young preteen I thought she was a cutie. There is a scene in part one, wearing that 50s style prom dress, where she is leaning over to kiss her "son" Michael J Fox/Marty McFly..she just looked very hot at that moment!

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/07/06 at 8:39 pm

Singer- (3) Joan Jett, Pat Benatar, Sheena Easton

Actress- (4) Joan Severence, Kaki Hunter, Phoebe Cates, and Nancy McKeown

Other- Dian Parkinson (from "The Price Is Right")

Written By: flash gordon on 08/08/06 at 11:21 pm

it was linda carter for me wonder woman - every episode i waited and waited for a wardrobe mal function - never happened lita ford was pretty hott too.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/09/06 at 12:56 am

I liked Sergio Gonzalez from Meundo and J Bon Jovi.. I though he was so yummy!

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/09/06 at 2:56 am

Oh, my Gaud!

Menudo- I soooooo remember them!

That's also Ricky Martin & Miguel Bose's band, isn't it?

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 08/09/06 at 6:13 pm

My first big, big fave was Rick Schroder in "Silver Spoons."  Later came Alex P. Keaton and (please don't laugh at me!!) David Hasselhoff as Michael Knight.  Toward the end of the decade: Richard Marx and Johnny Depp.

For quite awhile I had a pinup of a "Dallas"-era Brad Pitt on my wall as well.  I was too young to be into the show itself, but I saw the pinup in 16 Magazine and thought he was beautiful.  In my opinion, he looked much, much better then than he ever has as an A-list star.

Written By: Remus on 08/10/06 at 12:30 am

My first crush was Boy George.The year was 1984--I was five, and I thought he was so pretty.

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/10/06 at 2:17 am

My first crush was Boy George.The year was 1984--I was five, and I thought he was so pretty.

That's funny. I was in fourth grade when he made it big and had no clue it was a man until I read it in People magazine. I didn't have a crush, but I did grow up to love drag shows.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/10/06 at 2:48 am

Oh, my Gaud!

Menudo- I soooooo remember them!

That's also Ricky Martin & Miguel Bose's band, isn't it?

Yes it was the same band but.. I though Ricky Martin was too young for me.... I know, I dated myself with my Menudo pick but oh well!!!  LOL

Written By: ShaRae on 08/19/06 at 6:47 pm

Oh pllleeeaaassseee!!!  JOHNNY DEPP!!!    :D

Then came Richie Sambora, Jon Bon Jovi, Kip Winger, some of the guys from Warrant, Eddie Van Halen, so many long haired GORGEOUS men!!!  

Oh how I miss them... :\'(

Written By: lizjagger on 08/20/06 at 1:30 am

kirk cameron
Joe from New kids on the block
andrew mccarthy
rob lowe
a couple of samantha's boyfriends in 'Who's the boss'

Written By: Criz on 08/21/06 at 7:56 am

kirk cameron
Joe from New kids on the block
andrew mccarthy
rob lowe
a couple of samantha's boyfriends in 'Who's the boss'

I totally fancy Rob Lowe now! I didn't really see it before - but then again i was very very young when he first found fame. I recently saw 'Thank You For Not Smoking' and he is pretty good looking - he's on my radar now! :P :]

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/21/06 at 2:28 pm

I totally fancy Rob Lowe now! I didn't really see it before - but then again i was very very young when he first found fame. I recently saw 'Thank You For Not Smoking' and he is pretty good looking - he's on my radar now! :P :]

Oh, I know what u mean about Rob Lowe.. I never really saw it in him either but man o man, hes just beautiful... Those eyes of his.. YUMMY! LOL

Written By: KKay on 08/21/06 at 3:39 pm

dirk benedict, mark hamill, andy gibb, rex smith

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/22/06 at 12:23 am

1980: Debbie Harry

(I was eleven or so)

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/22/06 at 2:25 am

1980: Debbie Harry

(I was eleven or so)

I had a crush on her too... I liked Joan Jett too when I was kid, I had alot of girl and boy crushes but Debbie Harry was so pretty and cool.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/22/06 at 2:31 am

I liked Joan Jett too when I was kid....

I admit that I've had a thing for Joan Jett since I was 7.
(This makes it about 1983)

I would SOOOOOOOO hop on board her train!
(My wife understands this about me- Joan's my dream woman, Meat Loaf's her dream man)

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/22/06 at 3:04 am

(My wife understands this about me- Joan's my dream woman, Meat Loaf's her dream man)

LOL  well at least u 2 have an understanding

Written By: Criz on 08/22/06 at 6:05 am

Oh, I know what u mean about Rob Lowe.. I never really saw it in him either but man o man, hes just beautiful... Those eyes of his.. YUMMY! LOL

Hehe - it is, it's the eyes!! Dreeeeeamy ;)

Written By: Roxi_Summer on 08/22/06 at 8:00 pm

Old school Madonna and Samantha Fox as women
David Bowie in Labyrinth and Roger Taylor/Andy Taylor in Duran Duran

I like people with long hair, gives you something to grab onto and play with ;)

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/22/06 at 10:24 pm

i THOUGHT  Samantha Fox was too trashy looking... LOL...

Yes, it was Rob Lowes eyes that just take the cake and I forgot the crush that keeps getting better with time

JASON BATEMAN!!!!!  HUBBA HUBBA  I have loved him since Silver Spoons

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/06 at 9:40 pm

Joan Jett, so would I, but I think I'd need a few days to recover!
:-*

Wait a minute...Meat Loaf?
Whatever floats yer meat!

Written By: Tere95112 on 08/26/06 at 12:54 pm

Speaking of crushes, check out this HILARIOUS AND NOSTALGIC romance 80's mocumentary on Youtube.com:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bx20ee_MHg

It's part 1 of 2.  The second part is at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2v8jeLnL_I

It's awesome!

Check for new replies or respond here...