inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Very obscure 80's commercials..

Written By: P.E.D. on 08/04/06 at 10:19 am

All the retro sites show the ones we've seen 100,000 times..Does anyone remember or have vivid memories about 80s commercials or PSA that few people other than you can seem to remember? I have a few..

1. Very early 80s..a commercial for Silverstone Cookwear which demonstrated the non-stickiness of it by cooking metal letters (that spelled Silverstone) in eggs, pancakes..for some reason I loved this as a kid.

2. Commercials for a brand of deodorant called TICKLE..may have even been late 70s, but I seem to remember this

3. A commercial..I want to say mid-late 80s..I THINK for a bathroom cleaning product in which a couple has a date..but the man's wife is spending too much time in the bathroom..I think he called her Stacy and told her to get out..

4. A PSA..early 80s..was a series of PSA's actually..one I remember was about male nurses..and female doctors..and how gender did not matter, but "It's being really good at what you do that counts"..was filmed obviously in a hospital..

I have more but I will list those later..

Subject: Re: Very obscure 80's commercials..

Written By: bj26 on 08/04/06 at 1:17 pm

Have you ever seen a Rainier Beer commercial in the early 80s, they were quite obscure to say the least!

Written By: P.E.D. on 08/04/06 at 1:59 pm

No, I don't remember that beer commercial..but it does make me think about another commercial..Does anyone remember barrelhead rootbeer? I remember the ads from the early 80s..even my mother says she can't remember them!

Written By: Mushroom on 08/04/06 at 2:01 pm

Have you ever seen a Rainier Beer commercial in the early 80s, they were quite obscure to say the least!

Oh how I remember those!

One of them sticks out in my mind all these years later.

It was a take-off of an older Yamaha commercial.   The camera was looking down a long desolate roadway, and you hear the sound of a motorcycle engine in the background.  As the bike gets closer, you realize that the sound of the engine is actually the sound of somebody saying "Yaaaaaaa - Maaaaaaaaa - Haaaaaaaaaaa", with a doppler type effect as it passes you and fades off into the distance.

In the Rainer commercial, it was set on a mountain road, with Mt. Rainer in the background.  As the bike comes towards the camera and passes it, you hear the engine saying "Rayyyyyyyy - Neeeerrrrrrrrr - Beeeeerrrrrrrrrr".

There were several others similar, each one a parody of another commercial at the time.  But that is the only one that still stands out in my mind.

And if you know beers of the North-West USA, then you probably also remember the commercials for Oly, with the "Artesians".   8)

Of course, there was also Lone Star, with the "Giant Armadiller".  It would tear up a local bar (store, beer truck, home refrigerator), and steal all of the Lone Star Beer.

Written By: ktelqueen on 08/04/06 at 2:27 pm

2. Commercials for a brand of deodorant called TICKLE..may have even been late 70s, but I seem to remember this

thanks for that flashback  :D ;D

Written By: Davester on 08/04/06 at 5:16 pm

All the retro sites show the ones we've seen 100,000 times..Does anyone remember or have vivid memories about 80s commercials or PSA that few people other than you can seem to remember? I have a few..

*Me to myself: Should start a thread on the 70's board about this...*

I can view a commercial I haven't seen in 20+ years and still finish the lines and music from the jingles, in my head, before the commercial is finished...

A DVD I own (sniped off of eBay) is full of these Tickle ads.  I thought they were primarily 70's as many of the ads from then featured a "

Subject: h

Written By: tetratron on 08/04/06 at 6:36 pm

::)

Written By: Davester on 08/05/06 at 2:54 am

I think the dad was quite upset and went to his rumpass room,
smoked his kid's pot, then played kaboom on his atari until 3:00 am.

LMAO! ;D go ;)...

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/05/06 at 3:13 am

I can't think of any obscure commercials with jingles other than the one I can't find online for Super Golden Crisp. The bear would sing, "Can't get enough of Super Golden Crisp/Its got the crunch with punch. Yeah!"

I miss jingles. Modern commercials are so complex I can't ever remember what they were selling even though I may remember the ad. How is this helping the company selling the product?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/05/06 at 5:45 pm

Of course, there was also Lone Star, with the "Giant Armadiller".  It would tear up a local bar (store, beer truck, home refrigerator), and steal all of the Lone Star Beer.

Oh man. You would have to remind me about those stupid Lone Star beer commericals.  ::)  I had forgotten them-thankfully, until NOW!!!

Cat

Written By: vinny57 on 08/07/06 at 12:41 pm

Does anyone know the commercial that was set to the song "oops there goes another rubber tree plant"? Obviously, something was substituted for "another rubber tree plant".

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/07/06 at 8:33 pm

Don't forget the Levi's commercials, with the guy swinging around and singing "Lee-hee-hee-he-he-he-vi-hi-e-hi's, Lee-hee-he-he-he-he-vi's!"

Sometimes, he'd fall into the Levi's logo, and get stuck!

Written By: Mushroom on 08/08/06 at 10:01 am

Don't forget the Levi's commercials, with the guy swinging around and singing "Lee-hee-hee-he-he-he-vi-hi-e-hi's, Lee-hee-he-he-he-he-vi's!"

That was a series that started in the 1970's that I remember well.  The music used was "Mule Skinner Blues".  Probably my favorite of them was where the guy was going forwards, and everyhting around him was backwards.

Written By: Kari on 04/23/12 at 3:22 pm

Does anyone remember the mid 1980's tickle commericial set to the same melody as A-ha's take on Me?  The commerical was also a cartoon.

Written By: 'grid on 09/03/12 at 6:20 pm

Does anyone know the commercial that was set to the song "oops there goes another rubber tree plant"? Obviously, something was substituted for "another rubber tree plant".

It was a Hi C Commercial - and I was just looking for it.  oops there goes another glass of Hi-C!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/03/12 at 7:23 pm

Al Eisen, the toilet bowl cleaner guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73MQRYLeyWc

Lest we forget!

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/06/12 at 9:07 pm

1. Very early 80s..a commercial for Silverstone Cookwear which demonstrated the non-stickiness of it by cooking metal letters (that spelled Silverstone) in eggs, pancakes..for some reason I loved this as a kid.

3. A commercial..I want to say mid-late 80s..I THINK for a bathroom cleaning product in which a couple has a date..but the man's wife is spending too much time in the bathroom..I think he called her Stacy and told her to get out..

4. A PSA..early 80s..was a series of PSA's actually..one I remember was about male nurses..and female doctors..and how gender did not matter, but "It's being really good at what you do that counts"..was filmed obviously in a hospital..

I have more but I will list those later..

The internet fills in all blanks, and inthe00s never forgets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPWUUHqr4Ho

"Perfect eggs don't always start with the egg. They start with SilverStone. It's the most durable non-stick surface ever made by DuPont. And just to prove our point, we'll cook some eggs with these letters, and still not hurt SilverStone's nonstick performance. See? So no matter what you're making, make sure you start with SilverStone. SilverStone spells durability."

80s SilverStone commercial, from back in the day when you had to use stop-motion animation to make a bunch of 3D letters gather themselves into a logo on a pan, because CGI hadn't been invented yet.

Now can we nail down the other three?

Written By: Doc Brown on 09/10/12 at 9:06 pm

THAT I remember, as well as Sugar Bear! I never saw a TV ad for Rainier Beer, but I heard ads on the radio.

And here's some food for thought for P.E.D.: 25 years and billions spent to do research in outer space, and we somehow end up with Silverstone cookware, which is probably teflon, a metal food won't stick to. But in outer space, wouldn't you WANT food to stick to the pan, seeing as there's NO GRAVITY!? Silverstone is a brand that must be 50% irony.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Sammy Reed on 09/11/12 at 8:13 pm

I can't even find this thing on YouTube, it's so obscure!
From 1982-83, there was this commercial for Buf-Puf that had exotic music, a half-whispering female voiceover, a half-whispering female singer, and faces that were no slouches either! Probably the highlight of my 8th grade year.  :D

Written By: Doc Brown on 09/11/12 at 11:53 pm

Hey, P.E.D., I found a few of the Levi's ads!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-grPDcxh1B8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=bcb5kvyJDmY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=8uSLZGRVTYo

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/12/12 at 12:46 am

Hey, P.E.D., I found a few of the Levi's ads!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-grPDcxh1B8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=bcb5kvyJDmY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=8uSLZGRVTYo

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Here's another obscure Levis Jeans and Chords commercial.

3oqiGb-9n-0

Written By: barry on 11/10/12 at 11:18 am

Philips Hi-Fi Car Stereo - the most 80's commercial I've ever seen!

6c3nWhR41D0

(It starts at 0:30, right after the station ID's.)

Same commercial, but someone added some synth music.....

J_CvWB_Pb0w

Check for new replies or respond here...