inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Songs That Jumpstarted the 2nd and 3rd Dance Revolutions

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/08/06 at 4:29 am

Here are a few, from 1982-1983, that I think started the "dance music revolution", turning dated disco into dance-pop. This had already been going on in the UK with synth pop acts like ABC and Duran Duran.

The US and UK hits that opened up the door to the explosion:

"Let The Music Play" by Shannon (1983)
"Holiday" and "Lucky Star" by Madonna (1983)
"Don't You Want Me" by the Human League (1982)
"Forget Me Nots" by Patrice Rushen (1982)
"It's Raining Men" by the Weather Sisters (1983)
"Flashdance...What a Feeling" by Irene Cara (1983)
"She Works Hard For the Money" by Donna Summer (1983)
"1999" by Prince (1982)
"Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson (1983)
"Hungry Like the Wolf" and "Rio" by Duran Duran (1982)

Overall, I would say these are the top songs that had a role in reinventing dance music after its dormancy in terms of US radio popularity in the first half of the '80s. The rather outmoded long runtimes and excessive instrumentation and melodrama of disco were pared down into 3 to 4-minute tour de forces with a steady electronic beat and a new wave pop base. The funk grooves were even strengthened, but simplified and modernized, in songs like "1999." The success of this initial set is what laid the base for the explosion in dance-pop in 1984 with tracks like "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go", and "The Look of Love." Of course, then the following tracks from around 1986/1987 jumpstarted the 3rd dance music revolution (the 1st being disco c. 1974, by the way):

"West End Girls" by the Pet Shop Boys (1986)
"Bizarre Love Triangle" by New Order (1986)
"Looking For a New Love" by Jody Watley (1987)
"Nasty" by Janet Jackson (1986)

Subject: Re: Songs That Jumpstarted the 2nd and 3rd Dance Revolutions

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/09/06 at 8:06 am

Bump...

Written By: DJ Midas on 08/09/06 at 8:21 pm

You can't overlook tracks that came for the Stock/Aitken/Waterman camp from the mid- to late 80's.  They produced songs for Dead Or Alive, Bananarama, Rick Astley and Kylie Minogue that were making waves on U.S. radio. :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/09/06 at 8:28 pm

I basically think modern dance-pop came from a combination of Hi-NRG music (Sylvester, Taffy, Seventh Avenue, Shannon), disco, and British dance-pop like Duran Duran and the Human League.

Written By: dr mabuse on 08/10/06 at 2:03 pm

1982/83 were huge years for dance music, can't forget

Lime - Angel Eyes
New Order - Blue Monday
Afrika Bambaataa and the Soul Sonic Force - Planet Rock

The 3rd Dance revolution, as you call it, was headlined by a lot of slick, mainstream dance-pop and freestyle acts.  In addition to the Jody Watley and Janet Jackson you mentioned, I'd add

Expose - Point of No Return
Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam - Can You Feel the Beat
Stevie B - Spring Love
Taylor Dayne - Tell it to My Heart

The late, late '80s/early '90s techno and house boom owe a lot to those 3rd Dance revolution artists. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/11/06 at 2:19 pm

1982/83 were huge years for dance music, can't forget

Lime - Angel Eyes
New Order - Blue Monday
Afrika Bambaataa and the Soul Sonic Force - Planet Rock

The 3rd Dance revolution, as you call it, was headlined by a lot of slick, mainstream dance-pop and freestyle acts.  In addition to the Jody Watley and Janet Jackson you mentioned, I'd add

Expose - Point of No Return
Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam - Can You Feel the Beat
Stevie B - Spring Love
Taylor Dayne - Tell it to My Heart

The late, late '80s/early '90s techno and house boom owe a lot to those 3rd Dance revolution artists. 

Taylor Dayne was huge in two ways. Firstly, she did help jumpstart the "3rd dance revolution" as I put it with "Tell it to My Heart", and "Love Will Lead You Back" from 1990 (the #1 hit on the day of my birth) helped jumpstart the '90s style of ballads.

Check for new replies or respond here...