inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Pure 80s: The Ultimate DVD Box" set... hit or miss

Written By: woops on 08/08/06 at 5:22 pm

Have anybody seen "Pure 80s: The Ultimate DVD Box", which features  45 music videos in a 3 DVD set?...

It's a decent collection with popular and some lesser known selections.

Good picture and sound quality, though many have appeared on several DVD video compilations.  :)

Disc One: Totally New Wave

Not one dud, IMO, since the videos range from classic (Duran Duran "Hungry Like The Wolf", Devo "Whip It", and a-ha "Take On Me") to average (Blondie "Rapture", Joe Jackson "Steppin' Out", Plimsouls "A Million Miles Away"). A banned version of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's "Relax" is also included, which is one of the strangest music videos I've ever seen.

Several omissions like The Cars, Talking Heads, The Go Go's, Simple Minds, New Order, etc. Though all can't fit one disc.

1 to 10: 9

Disc Two: Video Idols

Slightly mediocre and could've  been better since  many of the videos are bad like Olivia Newton John's "Physical", Styx "Mr. Roboto", Donna Summer "She Works Hard For The Money",  and the nauseating Wang Chung "Everybody Have Fun Tonight"... though a good song same for Pat Benatar's "Love Is A Battlefield". 

There's some good videos like J. Geils Band "Centerfold" and Tina Turner's "What's Love Got To Do With It".

Tiffany "I Think We're Alone Now" is also included, thankfully the only song from her I like,  somewhat cheesy video but I've seen far worse...

Several popular 'Video Idols' should've been added like Billy Idol, Cyndi Lauper, Huey Lewis & The News, INXS, New Edition,  and others...

Though obiviously Madonna, Michael Jackson, and U2 couldn't be added since it would cost a lot for one of their videos to be on the set. (same for compilation CDs)

1 to 10: 7

Disc Three: Headbangers Rule!

Mostly lesser known and few popular music videos from hard rock and glam rock bands like  Cinderella "Shake Me", Great White "Once Bitten, Twice Shy", Faith No More "Epic", Kingdom Come "Get It On", and Y&T "Summertime Girls". Mostly average performance type videos and a few cheesy... though still fun to watch.

Like the other discs, there's many omissions like Judas Priest, Twisted Sister, Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Ratt, etc.

1 to 10: 8

A few years ago, there was a DVD titled "Pure '80's: The DVD", which was fairly OK.

Those that also appear on the box set: The Buggles "Video Killed The Radio Star",  Big Country "In A Big Country", Asia "Heat Of The Moment", Night Ranger "Sister Christian", and Tears For Fears "Everybody Wants To Rule The World".

Subject: Re: "Pure 80s: The Ultimate DVD Box" set... hit or miss

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/08/06 at 9:44 pm

Where did you find this?

Written By: woops on 08/09/06 at 12:21 am

It came out about two weeks ago.

I bought it at a Best Buy.

Written By: Davester on 08/09/06 at 12:36 am

This set looks promising.  Check it out.  $36+, eh...

Most of the songs on this are good to go, IMO.  Big Country; One Thing Leads to Another; Physical...good stuff..!

Rhino released (it's about time someone did) Who Cares Alot/Live at the Brixton Academy on DVD, previously only available for the longest time on VHS.  And you know when Rhino does it, they do it big!  So, if you're still jonesin' for some Faith No More, well, you know groove ;) on...

Check for new replies or respond here...