inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Seeking Program about a Bully...

Written By: Temujin on 08/17/06 at 6:35 pm

I've been looking for a show (or possibly movie)  that I can only vaguely recall from the early-to-mid Eighties. 

It about a kid facing off with a bully-- I can kind of remember the bully as a big kid with red/brown curly hair.  Part of me thinks he may have had brass knuckles at some point (again, all vague memories). 

In any case, at the end when the bully squares off against the main character, all the kids that had gathered to watch the fight pile-on and attack the bully when he's down. Seemed kind of excessive to me even at the time. 

I THINK this may have been an episode of something on PBS--however the possibility exists that it was a movie...

Subject: Re: Seeking Program about a Bully...

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/18/06 at 4:41 am

Sounds like you're describing "3 o'Clock High", starring Casey Sziemascko.

This was a movie about a boy being picked on by a bully who just came to the school, and he spends most of the movie trying to figure out how to get out of a fight, scheduled to happen @ 3 O'Clock.

The lead character, Jerry Mitchell, robs the student store to bribe the bully- which doesn't work, gets sent to the VP's office (who bears a remarkable resemblence to wrestler Baron Von Raschke), and kisses his English teacher, who later develops the hots for him.

He also has a female friend who wants him, and later punks out, when she has the chance.
His male best friend tries to help him out, but is of little help.

Jerry eventually gets to the fight, in which the Principal and VP both get punched out, and Jerry ends up using the bully's own brass knuckles against him.

This film is very good, and I recommend it.

Written By: bj26 on 08/18/06 at 6:38 am

'My Bodyguard' maybe?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 08/18/06 at 6:01 pm

'My Bodyguard' maybe?

No, "My Bodyguard" was about the kid getting picked on in the school system, so he hired a "bodyguard" who eventually got beat up. (The curly-headed kid was Adam Baldwin, and the bully was Matt Dillon.)

The lead character, Clifford Peache (Chris Makepeace), ends up beating up the bully on his own, and everyone else got into it by flipping the bully off.

Note- no mention in that film about brass knuckles.

Written By: Temujin on 08/19/06 at 3:56 pm

Funny you should mention "My Bodyguard" and "Three O'Clock High." In doing a google search I came upon that possibility and decided to watch both movies. Sadly, they weren't what I was looking for. Good pictures, nonetheless.

The thing I most distinctly remember is the gathered kids all ganging up on the bully at the end-- taking to the ground and holding him down. Far different from the typical "bully episode" ending where the bully and main character reach an understanding.

For the longest time, I thought this was an episode of "The Bloodhound Gang" on 3-2-1 Contact, but from episode guides I've looked at no episodes seem to fit.

Possibly an after-school special...?

In any case, thanks for the help.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/16/11 at 11:16 pm

I've got no answers here, but there should be enough information here that someone out there should be able to solve it with a little help from Youtube.  Any takers?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/17/11 at 9:28 pm

I've got no answers here, but there should be enough information here that someone out there should be able to solve it with a little help from Youtube.  Any takers?

I typed in "eighties bully" and here's the first thing that came up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow9cLss8HXE

Maybe he's in there somewhere, four-eyes!

Written By: Howard on 05/18/11 at 6:33 am

I typed in "eighties bully" and here's the first thing that came up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow9cLss8HXE

Maybe he's in there somewhere, four-eyes!

Ah Yes,the 80's bullies,they always picked on the weaker guys. ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/18/11 at 6:41 pm

I've been looking for a show (or possibly movie)  that I can only vaguely recall from the early-to-mid Eighties. 

It about a kid facing off with a bully-- I can kind of remember the bully as a big kid with red/brown curly hair.  Part of me thinks he may have had brass knuckles at some point (again, all vague memories). 

In any case, at the end when the bully squares off against the main character, all the kids that had gathered to watch the fight pile-on and attack the bully when he's down. Seemed kind of excessive to me even at the time. 

I THINK this may have been an episode of something on PBS--however the possibility exists that it was a movie...

Reminds me of an episode of "Little House On The Prairie," where this big older kid starts going to the school and bullies and torments all the other kids, until Laura decides to get all the kids to join together and they beat the crap out of the bully.

Written By: Howard on 05/18/11 at 7:18 pm

How about Revenge Of The Nerds? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...