inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: TBS WILL STOP playing Mamas Family after 9yrs on.. The I network plays it now

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/18/06 at 12:13 am

Hi there.. Just found out that Tbs will stop airing Mamas Family after playing the funny show since 1997.  There is some new network called , The I Network that plays Mamas Family Mon-Thur from 8-9pm .  I guess you will have to look around to see what station I is on.. I think it merged or took over for pax Tv.

Subject: Re: TBS WILL STOP playing Mamas Family after 9yrs on.. The I network plays it now

Written By: whistledog on 08/18/06 at 12:39 am

I didn't know TBS still showed Mama's Family.  Last I knew, they aired it at like 6AM.  Sometimes, i would wake up to watch it :)

Subject: Re: TBS WILL STOP playing Mamas Family after 9yrs on.. The I network plays it now

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/18/06 at 1:42 am

I didn't know TBS still showed Mama's Family.  Last I knew, they aired it at like 6AM.  Sometimes, i would wake up to watch it :)

Yep, its still on at 6 am but not for long.. I guess it will end in Sept sometime...

Written By: whistledog on 08/18/06 at 2:02 am

Yep, its still on at 6 am but not for long.. I guess it will end in Sept sometime...

I wonder what they will replace it with.  Hopefully not more Seinfeld episodes .. if so, I'm gonna write TBS a nasty letter :D

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/18/06 at 2:49 am

I wonder what they will replace it with.  Hopefully not more Seinfeld episodes .. if so, I'm gonna write TBS a nasty letter :D

Dont u like Seinfeld? Its so funny... LOL  I heard it will be like Becker and the parenthood?  I have never heard of the parenthood.

Written By: whistledog on 08/18/06 at 2:57 am

Dont u like Seinfeld? Its so funny... LOL  I heard it will be like Becker and the parenthood?  I have never heard of the parenthood.

I used to like Seinfeld, but TBS shows it so much.  And to top it off, with several other channels I get, I can watch 6 different seinfeld episodes back to back.  I've seen all 10 seasons atleast 20 times by now ;D

The Parent 'Hood was a sitcom starring Robert Townsend that ran between 1995-1999 on the WB Network :)

http://valdefierro.com/phood1.jpg

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/18/06 at 3:06 am

I used to like Seinfeld, but TBS shows it so much.  And to top it off, with several other channels I get, I can watch 6 different seinfeld episodes back to back.  I've seen all 10 seasons atleast 20 times by now ;D

The Parent 'Hood was a sitcom starring Robert Townsend that ran between 1995-1999 on the WB Network :)

http://valdefierro.com/phood1.jpg

I know what u mean, here where I am I can see Seinfeld on another station and see them like 4 times a day... I think I may have caught an episode of Parenthood now that I think about it but it was many moons ago.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/18/06 at 12:18 pm

I just can't wait...this fall season 1 of Mama's Family comes out on DVD....WOOT!! ;D

Written By: whistledog on 08/18/06 at 12:23 pm

I just can't wait...this fall season 1 of Mama's Family comes out on DVD....WOOT!! ;D

I wonder what kind of bonus features and extras it will have?  Maybe interviews with the cast members as they are now.  It'd be nice to see what Eric Brown (Buzz) and Karin Argoud (Sonya) look like today 8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/18/06 at 12:23 pm

I wonder what kind of bonus features and extras it will have?  Maybe interviews with the cast members as they are now.  It'd be nice to see what Eric Brown (Buzz) and Karin Argoud (Sonya) look like today 8)

yes, that would be a really cool feature. I can't wait until the newer ones come out on DVD (the one's with Bubba and Iola, etc).

Written By: whistledog on 08/18/06 at 12:26 pm

yes, that would be a really cool feature. I can't wait until the newer ones come out on DVD (the one's with Bubba and Iola, etc).

Bubba and Iola were so much better than Buzz and Sonya. 8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/18/06 at 12:35 pm

Bubba and Iola were so much better than Buzz and Sonya. 8)

oh, totally. Those later episodes were so much more lively and fun.  It will probably be a while until those ones are released though.

Written By: whistledog on 08/18/06 at 12:43 pm

oh, totally. Those later episodes were so much more lively and fun.  It will probably be a while until those ones are released though.

Yeah, they came in one Season 3, so it will probably be a while  :(

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/18/06 at 6:05 pm

Oh I agree, the eppys with iola and Bubba were the best,... I love them all and I cant wait to get the dvd.  I am so curious about the extras.. would be neat to see what the cast looks like now...

Come on Sept!!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/18/06 at 9:55 pm

The nice thing about all these networks is if one drops your favorite sit-com syndication, another will pick it up!  I just wish they'd ALL stop running the Cosby Show.  Thought Cosby would achieve the high camp of Leave It To Beaver after 20 years, but it's still a total drag.  Maybe the difference is Hugh Beaumont isn't alive to b*tch and moan about how disrespectful the kids today are!

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/18/06 at 10:35 pm

The nice thing about all these networks is if one drops your favorite sit-com syndication, another will pick it up!  I just wish they'd ALL stop running the Cosby Show.  Thought Cosby would achieve the high camp of Leave It To Beaver after 20 years, but it's still a total drag.  Maybe the difference is Hugh Beaumont isn't alive to b*tch and moan about how disrespectful the kids today are!

True, so very true.. I dont think the Cosby Show is funny at all.. I loved it as a kid and used to wish Bill was my dad since I didnt have one but u know what, I watch it now and Im like, thats not funny... it does have its moments that will be forever remembered for life though.. they should relax it for a couple yrs and give people the chance to miss it. I hated the "BEAV" too.. LOL.. Im way too head strong for that serve the man junk.. I would be more like Thelma on Mamas Family... LOL

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/18/06 at 10:51 pm

True, so very true.. I dont think the Cosby Show is funny at all.. I loved it as a kid and used to wish Bill was my dad since I didnt have one but u know what, I watch it now and Im like, thats not funny... it does have its moments that will be forever remembered for life though.. they should relax it for a couple yrs and give people the chance to miss it. I hated the "BEAV" too.. LOL.. Im way too head strong for that serve the man junk.. I would be more like Thelma on Mamas Family... LOL

Actually, I love "Leave It To Beaver."  Every episode is the same formula.  It doesn't matter where you start, stop, or pick up in a given episode, it's the same thing with slight variations on plot and dialogue.  Oh, and the dialogue always follows the same cadence.  It's sort of a monotone with a downward inflexion.  It's like everybody in Mayfield was on sedatives.  They should have called it Miltown!  The still make Miltown, it's still on the market!
I've run Cosby down numerous times here.  In a nutshell,  American sit-coms had a "everybody-learns-a-lesson" formula.*  Cosby had a "I-teach-you-a-lesson-because-I'm-the-doctor-and-your-a-naive-kid" formula.  A major turn off.  We now see Cosby-ism in the Uncle Tom-ery of the Williamses: Walter, Armstrong, and Juan!

*this is why I loved "Seinfeld" so much.  It follwed the more Brit-com model---nobody learnes a lesson!  They were a bunch of jerks at the start of the episode, and they were a bunch of jerks at the end of the episode!

Written By: whistledog on 08/18/06 at 11:01 pm

TBS does show alot of Cosby Show.  It's a good show, until you've seen every episode of all 8 seasons like 10 times.  Then it's just a bit too much ;D

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/19/06 at 12:45 am

Actually, I love "Leave It To Beaver."  Every episode is the same formula.  It doesn't matter where you start, stop, or pick up in a given episode, it's the same thing with slight variations on plot and dialogue.  Oh, and the dialogue always follows the same cadence.  It's sort of a monotone with a downward inflexion.  It's like everybody in Mayfield was on sedatives.  They should have called it Miltown!  The still make Miltown, it's still on the market!
I've run Cosby down numerous times here.  In a nutshell,  American sit-coms had a "everybody-learns-a-lesson" formula.*  Cosby had a "I-teach-you-a-lesson-because-I'm-the-doctor-and-your-a-naive-kid" formula.  A major turn off.  We now see Cosby-ism in the Uncle Tom-ery of the Williamses: Walter, Armstrong, and Juan!

*this is why I loved "Seinfeld" so much.  It follwed the more Brit-com model---nobody learnes a lesson!  They were a bunch of jerks at the start of the episode, and they were a bunch of jerks at the end of the episode!

So true.... I loved Seinfeld.. I really loved Arrested Development and I like My name Is Earl,  they are different types of shows and they are so refreshing... The oldies are good but, U have to break the cookie cutter mold sometimes

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/19/06 at 10:46 am

I've run Cosby down numerous times here.  In a nutshell,  American sit-coms had a "everybody-learns-a-lesson" formula.*  Cosby had a "I-teach-you-a-lesson-because-I'm-the-doctor-and-your-a-naive-kid" formula.  A major turn off. 

I agree. I can watch The Cosby Show for a bit, but it does get annoying with the whole doctor/lawyer, "I know everything because of my status" thing.  I really can't stand Claire Huxtible...she really annoys me with her whole, "high and mighty" attitude. ::)  Give me a white trash/redneck family (The Harpers) anyday! LOLOL! ;D :D

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/20/06 at 1:37 am

I agree. I can watch The Cosby Show for a bit, but it does get annoying with the whole doctor/lawyer, "I know everything because of my status" thing.  I really can't stand Claire Huxtible...she really annoys me with her whole, "high and mighty" attitude. ::)  Give me a white trash/redneck family (The Harpers) anyday! LOLOL! ;D :D

LOL... Im with u 100%.. I never liked the mom either and I always thought that they treated that kid Vanessa really crappy.. If I were here , I would have run away.. LOL

Written By: Wiffle on 08/20/06 at 3:12 am

I'm sad that Mamas Family is going away. We don't get the other network mentioned that might pick it up. Maybe we'll end up with it though as our cable provider just changed from Comcast to Time Warner.

Remember how everything was "Ray" this and that. Raytown, Ray Drug, etc. I always think of that when I see Lake Ray Roberts up here in North Texas.

My parents loved that show.

eta: http://www.televisionhits.com/mamasfamily/raytown.html a whole list of Raytown references!

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/20/06 at 3:18 pm

I'm sad that Mamas Family is going away. We don't get the other network mentioned that might pick it up. Maybe we'll end up with it though as our cable provider just changed from Comcast to Time Warner.

Remember how everything was "Ray" this and that. Raytown, Ray Drug, etc. I always think of that when I see Lake Ray Roberts up here in North Texas.

My parents loved that show.

eta: http://www.televisionhits.com/mamasfamily/raytown.html a whole list of Raytown references!

Lol.. that is cute the way they always used Ray in the names, Ray lanes, Ray Mart  etc..... LOL
ABout the new station carrying it, we just went to time Warner cable < we hate it, no NFL Network> I bet you will get the station.. U may have it now.. if u have Pax Tv, I think U will get The I network.. Check out ur local Pax tv Mon-Thurs at 8pm, If u have it,Mamas Family should be on it.  Good Luck

Check for new replies or respond here...