inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: War Games: Shall We Play A Game?

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/25/06 at 11:12 pm

Greetings.
> Hello!
Shall we play a game?
> Let's play Global Thermonuclear War.
Wouldn't you prefer a good game of chess?
> Later.  Let's play Global Thermonuclear War.
Fine.  Which side do you want?

It only took 23 years, but it's almost here.  DEFCON:  Release date September 2006.  Confidence is high, I repeat, confidence is high.

I've waited most of my life for this game.  Who shall we nuke first?

Subject: Re: War Games: Shall We Play A Game?

Written By: Doc Brown on 08/27/06 at 2:21 pm

I just rented Wargames barely two weeks ago! DEFCON better be XP compatible. I'll play the Americans, how about you? Speaking of games based on classic 80's films, did you ever play TRON: Killer App? If so, should I get it?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: La Roche on 08/27/06 at 3:29 pm

Greetings.
> Hello!
Shall we play a game?
> Let's play Global Thermonuclear War.
Wouldn't you prefer a good game of chess?
> Later.  Let's play Global Thermonuclear War.
Fine.  Which side do you want?

It only took 23 years, but it's almost here.  DEFCON:  Release date September 2006.  Confidence is high, I repeat, confidence is high.

I've waited most of my life for this game.  Who shall we nuke first?

Oh my... I need this.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/06 at 5:40 pm

Thanks for reminding me, War Games is one film I should be looking out in the DVD sales.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/27/06 at 10:43 pm

I just rented Wargames barely two weeks ago! DEFCON better be XP compatible. I'll play the Americans, how about you? Speaking of games based on classic 80's films, did you ever play TRON: Killer App? If so, should I get it?

Didn't try Tron 2.0 on the PC, but I liked what I saw demo-wise.  Heard the gameplay was so-so, but the graphics were a beautiful re-creation of the Tron environment.  On that basis alone, I'd say get it.  (And thanks for reminding me to watch the movie.  It's been a year or two since I last saw it.)

As near as I can tell from the website, DEFCON will be distributed in both boxed form and via Steam.  Because Steam requires XP, DEFCON will run on it.  Introversion Software's previous two games, Darwinia and Uplink, ran on 98 and XP, and were rapidly ported to OS X and Linux.  I'd bet at least one city that DEFCON follows the same path.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/29/06 at 10:39 am

Coool!  I like War Games alot, it's a good movie.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/06 at 1:16 pm

Coool!  I like War Games alot, it's a good movie.
I have not seen it for somewhile now, and wish to see it again.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/15/06 at 11:38 pm

I have not seen it for somewhile now, and wish to see it again.

Two weeks to go :) 

Shameless plug:  game now available for pre-order.  $10 on Steam, $notmuchmore for the boxed copy direct from the programmers.  I've pre-ordered the boxed copy. 

The game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defcon_%28computer_game%29

I'm ashamed of my fellow Defcon fans that they don't even have PWEI's "Defcon One" and Sigue Sigue Sputnik's "M.A.D. (Mutual Assured Destruction)" on their forums' Soundtrack of the Apocalypse thread, even after ten pages.  I'm gonna hafta do something about that. 

(But all is forgiven.  If you like old-school "Samples of famous figures over cool backbeat", stop reading my ramblings and read page 8 of that thread, which links to an MP3 of a techno track called "Oppenheimer".  If you read nothing else, read page 8 of that thread and do what comes naturally when you see the linky.)

/never had the chance to buy Oppenheimer a beer.
//woulda bought Teller a beer too.
///did the next best thing, threw $100 cash in an envelope and as-anonymously-as-snail-mail-can-be-in-2003 sent it to the funeral home.
////hmm, Trinity Site is open to the public two days a year, one of which isn't too long from now.

Written By: ralfy on 02/21/16 at 8:55 am

"‘WarGames’ and Cybersecurity’s Debt to a Hollywood Hack"

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/21/movies/wargames-and-cybersecuritys-debt-to-a-hollywood-hack.html

Check for new replies or respond here...