inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Got My Mind Set On You" - George Harrison

Written By: SmithersDana on 08/26/06 at 6:09 pm

Remember this hit?  It was a big hit around December 1987 and then reached #1 in America in January 1988 and reached #2 in the UK.  I would even say it's probably the catchiest song i've heard.  The best part about the song however was the music video, which had George Harrison in a haunted house with the deer head on the wall singing and had the little squirrel playing the saxaphone at the end of the song, it was hilarious!

Here's the music video, I found it on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UllMRlXToWw

Gotta love that Youtube! They have everything!

Apparently there were 2 music videos made for the song.  The first one was with some guy and girl at an arcade, but once the song started rising on the charts in the US, they made a new video (The Haunted House one) and they started playing it constantly on MTV and it helped the song reach #1 on the Billboard Hot 100

Subject: h

Written By: tetratron on 08/26/06 at 7:17 pm

:-X

Subject: Re: "Got My Mind Set On You" - George Harrison

Written By: gmann on 08/26/06 at 7:59 pm

Wow. I haven't thought about this is in a long time. I remember the first version of the video. It was defenitely set in an arcade, with George and company showing up on an old penny-per-showing movie machine thingmabob...ya know what I'm talking about, right?  :)  I haven't seen it since.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 08/26/06 at 8:26 pm

This is such a great song... the last time I heard it was when I was grocery shopping and I was bopping down the aisles and singing along...  :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/26/06 at 9:41 pm

Here's the second version.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtG53aKPcxM

Written By: ktelqueen on 08/26/06 at 9:43 pm

Gotta love that Youtube! They have everything!

REALLY?!who knew!!!

and it's a fun song  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/26/06 at 10:07 pm

Produced by Anne O. Ying.

Written By: whistledog on 08/26/06 at 10:15 pm

This was one of my favourite songs growing up.  His whole "Cloud Nine" album was great 8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/27/06 at 12:36 am

Yep, I love this one. Other than Paul's '80s material, this is the best solo Beatle hit. I always felt it was songs like this that were part of the "classic rock revival" in the 1986-'91 era.

Loved seeing the alternate arcade video, which I'd heard existed for awhile but never seen. Even though I tend to like gimmicky, visual music videos, after seeing both of 'em, I do prefer the popular talking furniture/living room one. I can see why they used that instead of the arcade one. For some reason, that seemed kinda boring.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/06 at 3:22 am

Of the two given pop promos for George Harrison's Got My Mind Set On You", I only remember the first one. Which reminds me of a Haunted House  penny arcade machine.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/27/06 at 12:56 pm

I loved it!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/06 at 1:00 pm

I forgot to mention that I like it to.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/27/06 at 1:24 pm

This was one of my favourite songs growing up.  His whole "Cloud Nine" album was great 8)

I agree that the whole album is great. Not only do I love "Got My Mind Set on You" but I also love "When We Was Fab".  I think George is VERY underrated.

Cat

Written By: Davester on 08/27/06 at 9:10 pm

A mediocre song at best, IMO...

Got My Mind Set On You  was PLAYED-TO-DEATH back in '87.  I got sick of it pretty fast...

go ;)...

Written By: Chasey on 08/28/06 at 6:40 am

I agree that the whole album is great. Not only do I love "Got My Mind Set on You" but I also love "When We Was Fab".  I think George is VERY underrated.
Cat

It was a superb comeback album, after a few years in the wilderness for George.  He was perhaps the most underrated member of the Beatles, and certainly my favourite member.

'When We Was Fab' has a haunting undertone and very sincere lyrics...def my favourite from that particular album.

Written By: lizjagger on 08/28/06 at 3:17 pm

I can only listen to this song once in a while. If I hear it all the time or put it on repeat it becomes really annoying

Written By: Paul on 08/28/06 at 4:34 pm

It's acknowledged that George first came across the song when he bought James Ray's (the original artist) album when he went to the US in 1963...

...the song itself is rather slight and I've never had much of a liking for it...

Interestingly, it turned out to be George's last UK top ten hit (in his lifetime) and, at exactly the same time (late '87), Paul McCartney was having his last UK top ten hit...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/28/06 at 4:37 pm

I've never cared for the song myself...

Written By: KyleRysher on 08/28/06 at 11:11 pm

Why is it that when I see people say they don't care for the song or are annoyed by it, that they are only thinking about the Lyrics?

Am I the only breathing Human being who could care less about Lyrics to a song??  That beat is contagious, it's so catchy.  I don't see how anyone can't like it

Written By: Davester on 08/29/06 at 12:46 am

Why is it that when I see people say they don't care for the song or are annoyed by it, that they are only thinking about the Lyrics?

Am I the only breathing Human being who could care less about Lyrics to a song??  That beat is contagious, it's so catchy.  I don't see how anyone can't like it

That is a good question.  I know nothing of music theory.  Beat..?  Melody..?  Dissonance..?  Pitch..?  Why does someone enjoy some songs and not others..?

As to "Got My Mind Set On You", it's not only the lyrics (which I find to be pedestrian), the song simply doesn't pull me in or move me in any way.  Suppose if I'm not emotionally invested in a song it becomes uncomfortable, in a sense, to listen to it groove ;) on...

Written By: Nostalgic on 08/29/06 at 4:47 am

I also loved this song when I was growing up. I used to play it all the time. I don't like it as much now.

Written By: Chasey on 08/29/06 at 4:59 am

Good to see that this thread has captured some interest. Keep up the discusssion!  :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/29/06 at 10:24 am

I like the song, and it's still one of my favorites.

Written By: robby76 on 08/29/06 at 10:39 am

It will always remind me of my early morning school bus rides in 1987.  :)

Written By: Mushroom on 08/30/06 at 1:51 pm

I remember this song very well, because the Cloud Nine CD was the first one I ever bought.  I got it when I was in Japan in 1988.

And I remember both versions of the music video.  At the USO club, they had a Video Jukebox with the arcade version of the video.  Then at the Enlisted Club, they had another Video Jukebox with the version of George sitting in the chair.

And I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the Weird Al version of the song, "(This Song's Just) Six Words Long".

This song is just six words long

Couldn't think of any lyrics
No I never wrote the lyrics
So I'll just sing any old lyrics
That come to mind, child

You really need words
Whole lotta rhyming words
You gotta rhyme so many words, mm-mm
To do it, to do it, to do it, to do it
To do it, to do it right, child

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/weirdalyankovic/thissongsjustsixwordslong.html

Written By: Davester on 08/30/06 at 11:59 pm

tetratron mentioned the Weird Al version...

Ima see if I can find it on LimeWire go ;)...

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/06 at 1:09 am

I was singing this song in my mind all day at work yesterday.

Written By: tetratron on 09/01/06 at 2:29 am

Written By: nally on 09/01/06 at 5:11 pm

Wierd Al did a great parody of this song.

"This song is just Six Words Long."

...which would actually be seven words. Weird Al's title was actually "This Song's Just Six Words Long." He made a contraction between "song is" and treated it as one word.

Written By: tetratron on 09/01/06 at 5:34 pm

Written By: Mushroom on 09/02/06 at 8:58 am

I mentioned it first page but i didn't have the lyrics.  :p

I did see that looking back, sorry  :)

Written By: tetratron on 09/04/06 at 2:37 am

Check for new replies or respond here...