inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: McDonald's in the 80's

Written By: wsmith4 on 08/31/06 at 7:02 am

I used to LOVE McDonald's as a kid, and that's about the only reason I'll go there on occassion now, to relive those memories.  But it's so much different now.  They've come under so much attack for not having "healthy" food.  Did anybody ever think they were getting a healthy meal at McDonald's??  If they did, they were stupid.  But now they're all about salads and smaller sizes and apples and crap like that.  I miss the days of fries cooked in lard and juicy greasy burgers.  That's when it was good.  Their fries suck now compared to how they tasted in the 80's.  Nothing is the same.  The commercials are horrible, they used to be so cheesey and so good!!  Just had to vent because I went through the drivethru last night for a large order of fries and they were just bad... they didn't used to be.

Subject: Re: McDonald's in the 80's

Written By: Mushroom on 08/31/06 at 9:41 am

My favourite McDonalds memories from the 1980's is the famous "Mac Tonight" promos from around 1985-1987.  It was an attempt to bring in more adult customers, and it led to the creation of the first "Meal By Number" system in fast food.

Before then, you just ordered whatever items, and it was always different.  With the Mac Meal, you got your burger, fries, and drink in this neat holder.  When the promo ended, they still had people asking for the meals by name, so they decided to expand by making menu items around each of their major food items.

I have long wished they would bring those commercials and meals back, just for nostalgia sake if nothing else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYb9dTumLAE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw60ycOQbVI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bucLVkXXnBM

Written By: wsmith4 on 08/31/06 at 10:28 am

My favorite was a Christmas commercial with Ronald and a kid ice skating.  It really tugs at your heartstrings.  :\'(

Written By: wsmith4 on 08/31/06 at 1:06 pm

Aw come on people.... i know somebody else here ate at McDonald's during the 80's and has fond memories of it.  ::)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/31/06 at 2:02 pm

I remember back around 1982 or 83 when McDonald's first came out with the McRib sandwich. And I really liked it. (Granted, it's total crap when compared to authentic BBQ, but for Mickey D's it was still pretty damn good.) Then, suddenly, without warning, they quit selling them. Then they brought it back a few years later, for about 3 or 4 months, and then they quit making them again, and then every few years they'd bring it back "for a limited time only." I never understood why they do this, I've always liked the McRib and don't see why it's not a permanent part of their menu. (Maybe it is now, it's been a while since I've been to McDonald's.)

Written By: CeeKay on 08/31/06 at 4:25 pm

I saw a lady on the news recently who said that a latte at Starbucks has the same amount of fat and calories as a burger at McDonald's so....go for the grease!

Written By: Davester on 08/31/06 at 9:03 pm

Became absolutely addicted to Chicken Mc Nuggets in my early teens.  Can't even look at them, now...

Breakfasts at Mac & Don's was always a pleasure.  The so-called Big Breakfast and especially Egg McMuffins.  Most of the time I'd run two to the face.  I still love  them.  They also offered breakfast pastries in the mornings.  I'd gobble-up two of three of the raspberry variety...

The last Mickie-D's promotional glasses we purchased (remember those..?) were the "Great Muppet Caper" glasses in 1981.  Damn, I think mom still has those around somewhere groove ;) on all...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/31/06 at 10:05 pm

One memory I have is that the family would go for lunch, on Sundays, almost every week.

The promotional toy I remember the most was the stuffed Muppet Babies, and stuffed toys of Mickey Mouse and friends, from when Mickey's Christmas Carol came out.

Written By: robby76 on 08/31/06 at 10:19 pm

I was gonna mention McNuggets. They were my favourites. I remember the old styrofoam packaging with a little indent for the sauce. Anyway McD's doesn't scream 80s for me as it's always been around. To me the french fries taste the same, not that I have them that often.

Written By: Davester on 08/31/06 at 10:34 pm

I was gonna mention McNuggets. They were my favourites. I remember the old styrofoam packaging with a little indent for the sauce. Anyway McD's doesn't scream 80s for me as it's always been around. To me the french fries taste the same, not that I have them that often.

Yeah, always has been around.  As a kid, though, a trip to Mike-D's was, oh how do I put it...exciting..?  When we went to Mike 'N Dons I knew I was going somewhere.  It was a big deal, and as a consequence, memorable.  Not so now, of course, because it's only Mike's...

I tend to, for nostalgia value, associate Mick's more with the seventies than the eighties.  Actually, I'm doing that more and more of late.  Funny thing about nostalgia (if I'm using the right word...) is I always get the feeling that I missed something.  Something other than my youth was lost.  I don't know why.  I'm rambling again...

go ;)

Written By: robby76 on 09/01/06 at 1:04 am

You mean you've found yourself yearning for the 70s more of late or you've been looking back at a much earlier time in your life?

I switch between the 70s and 80s too even though I only spent 4 yrs in the 70s. But 80, 81 and 82 may as well have been the 70s.

Good thing about McDonalds is that some outlets are unchanged since the 70s/80s location wise which is cool. Almost an institution! I remember there was a meet n greet at Mc D's in 1984 and I met Ari Meyers from sitcom "Kate & Allie".

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/data/673/3ka37.jpg

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/01/06 at 7:06 am

yeah i know mcdonald's isn't necessarily 80's but i associate it with that because that's when i was just a youngin and those are the days i miss most.  and i just feel a difference between mcdonald's then and mcdonald's now. 

Written By: Southern Image on 09/01/06 at 1:21 pm

Mickey D's was great back in the 80s. You could eat their fries cold and they STILL tasted good. I didn't eat there everyday , but when I did, I would get the Big Mac value meal.

There were times we would get Mickey D's when we were going to the Drive-In. I would always get 2 small burgers, fries, and a vanilla shake, my sister would either get a cheeseburger, or chicken mcnuggets. Those were GOOD TIMES!!

I also remember when they started doing the Happy Meals, but by that time I had graduated to the Big Mac.

NOW THE PLACE SUCKS, THE PEOPLE WORKING THER MESS UP YOUR ORDER, AND THE FRIES TASTE LIKE CRAP!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/01/06 at 1:41 pm

Yes Mickey D's was better in the 80s. The commercials were banging, the food wasn't as greasy as it is now, and styrofoam ruled!!! Hahahaha I even jumped rope to this jingle: "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun!!!

Yes, I was even the difficult child that had to have the chicken mcnugget happy meal when everyone else was getting a cheeseburger one. Oddball out!! lol

Written By: Mushroom on 09/01/06 at 1:43 pm

I remember back around 1982 or 83 when McDonald's first came out with the McRib sandwich. And I really liked it. (Granted, it's total crap when compared to authentic BBQ, but for Mickey D's it was still pretty damn good.) Then, suddenly, without warning, they quit selling them. Then they brought it back a few years later, for about 3 or 4 months, and then they quit making them again, and then every few years they'd bring it back "for a limited time only." I never understood why they do this, I've always liked the McRib and don't see why it's not a permanent part of their menu. (Maybe it is now, it's been a while since I've been to McDonald's.)

They discovered that people only ordered the McRib for so long, then stopped.  They did some tests, and discovered that it worked best when released for a few months every other year or so.  And even then, it was regional.  It was up to each disctrict to determine if they wanted to participate or not.  That is why you rarely see it anymore.

The same with the "Shamrock Shakes", and many other of the older promotional programs of the past.  Personally, I miss getting the green Vanilla Milkshakes on St. Patrick's Day.  None of my local stores participate in this one, and the closest one that does is in Tallahhassee.  I am not driving 200 miles just for a green shake!

Written By: Southern Image on 09/01/06 at 1:48 pm

I am not driving 200 miles just for a green shake!

Don't even bother.

I got one a few years back with my daughter. They didn't mix it right and it just didn't taste the same, when I used to be little.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/02/06 at 2:31 pm

What about the McDLT and the mysterious McRib?

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/03/06 at 5:19 am

:D Gotta love McDonalds..I used to get the kids meal..even tho I wasnt a kid..those small cheeseburgers are the best!....and I do love the fries...My daughter gets the kids meal..( just for the toy I think...Hmmmm)....but I love um.....and the Egg McMuffins...ooohhh.. I make them better home made tho... ::)

Written By: Class of 84 on 09/03/06 at 6:10 pm

This will seem bizaar, but the song "Only time will tell" by Asia always strikes up a memory of me, my brother and a friend going to the local McDonalds  :o.  Probably because at the time that song was big on the radio, my friend had "left" home, and was eating breakfast, lunch and supper at McDonalds, and we joined him often.  Just my way of tying the 80's to McDonalds.......

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/03/06 at 7:06 pm

What about the McDLT and the mysterious McRib?

I loved the McRib and the McDLT. I remember the commercials introducing the McDLT. The styrofoam container with the cool side (e.g. lettuce, tomato) and the hot sauce (e.g. burger, bun). I ran up and got it when it first came out. I felt so mature. Wow, what a preteen thinks is amazing! ;D

Written By: Wiffle on 09/04/06 at 1:50 am

I remember McDonalds before the happy meal was invented. Before chicken mcnuggets.

I also remember when chicken mcnuggets came out I thought, oh wow, chicken! How healthy!

I remember when they started doing breakfast. The lines were ridiculous.

I even remember when many locations didn't have a drive through, and still had the x million served sign.

Damn, I am old!  :D

Written By: whistledog on 09/04/06 at 2:42 am

I can tell you one thing.  The meat in today's Hamburgers at McDonalds tastes like it was made in the 80s ;D

Written By: Davester on 09/04/06 at 5:42 pm

You mean you've found yourself yearning for the 70s more of late or you've been looking back at a much earlier time in your life?

I'll get back to this after I figure out what in blazes I was talking about... :-\\

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/05/06 at 8:50 am

thanks for all your mcd's stories!! i ate there this weekend and it was yummy again.

Check for new replies or respond here...