inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "The NeverEnding Story" (1984)

Written By: SmithersDana on 09/08/06 at 11:45 pm

Anybody remember this movie?  Released in July 1984

The movie used to scare me as a child, mainly the giant white fluffy dragon/dog creature named "Falkor" that could fly.  I had nightmares of that thing  :-[

But what I remember most about the movie was the Theme Song, performed by "Limahl".  The song even peaked as high as #17 on the Billboard Hot 100 in June 1985 (I don't know why the theme song was released a year after the movie though)

I found the music video for it on Youtube (which includes clips from the movie).  And check out the lead singer and his cheesy mid 80's look  ;D (Billy Idol knockoff)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwzRm_Ut7HM

Subject: Re: "The NeverEnding Story" (1984)

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/06 at 11:58 pm

Anybody remember this movie?  Released in July 1984

The movie used to scare me as a child, mainly the giant white fluffy dragon/dog creature named "Falkor" that could fly.  I had nightmares of that thing  :-[

But what I remember most about the movie was the Theme Song, performed by "Limahl".  The song even peaked as high as #17 on the Billboard Hot 100 in June 1985 (I don't know why the theme song was released a year after the movie though)

I found the music video for it on Youtube (which includes clips from the movie).  And check out the lead singer and his cheesy mid 80's look  ;D (Billy Idol knockoff)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwzRm_Ut7HM

The song was first released for the UK the same year as the film where it got to UK #4 in October 1984 :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/06 at 1:31 am

Limahl (nee Chris Hamill) was the lead singer of the band Kajagoogoo (biggest hit "Too Shy," album "White Feathers," 1983).  Rivalry within the band forced Limahl out on his own.  He immediately had a huge success with the theme song to The Never Ending Story, written by disco producers Keith Forsey and Giorgio Moroder.  Riding on the success of the single, the Limahl solo album "Don't Suppose" performed well on the charts.  I've still got both the 12" and the album!
Kajagoogoo made several rotten records led by guitarist Nick Beggs under the truncated name "Kaja."  They petered out by the end of the '80s.  Limahl didn't fair much better.  He made a few noble efforts to rekindle his pop stardom, but it never came back.  Limahl does still have a loyal following.  If he could get the money to tour, he'd draw a small but appreciative audience, at least in the UK. 

Limahl was noooo Billy Idol knock off, mind you!  They both did awful things with hair bleach, but that's about it.  If I had to compare Limahl to anyone, I'd probably say Ian Broudie of Care and the Lightning Seeds.  Maybe Nick Kershaw as well. 

http://www.limahl.com/graphics/discography/never_ending_story_french.jpg

The actual NES movie, I've seen parts of it.  That style of fantasy never did much for me.  My little brother loved it though!

Written By: Mushroom on 09/09/06 at 9:36 am

This movie kinda tanked in the theaters.  It never got much attention in the US when it was released.

I think that the song came out a year later in the US because that is around the time the movie hit video.  I know I bought my copy around February of 1985 at an import record shop in Buena Park, California.  It was so unlike anything else at the time, with the long musical intro that got louder.  It had an almost ethereal quality about it.  My roomie at the time was a real nut for The Police, and he instantly fell in love with it.

It was just a few months later that it was finally brought over and released in this country.  By that time, probably half of the guys in my barracks already had a copy of it.  I had one of the best stereos in the barracks, and the largest LP collection.  I always had guys comming over with blank tapes and making their own collections.

Written By: velvetoneo on 09/09/06 at 10:16 am

That was one of my favorite movies growing up, actually.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/09/06 at 11:57 am

I liked the movie and LOVE the song. The sequal sucked.

Cat

Written By: star500 on 09/09/06 at 4:36 pm

I haven't really seen the first movie, I'll admit. But I really liked the 2nd Neverending Story movie. I had a crush on Jonathan Brandis when I went and saw the movie--and I was only 5 years old. :o I think he was my first ever celebrity crush, lol ;D Did anyone see the 3rd movie? I heard it was a TV movie and wasn't particularily great...but I haven't seen it so I can't comment.

Written By: Ebontyne on 09/09/06 at 5:08 pm

Thirteen years ago I was kicked out of class by Mrs. Moroz (my grade 4 teacher) for unintentionally laughing while Bastian's horse sank into the marsh. I wasn't even paying attention to the scene at that moment (I had already seen the whole movie), and my thoughts must have strayed to something else I found amusing.

Just a little associated memory I thought I'd share. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/06 at 9:08 pm

This movie kinda tanked in the theaters.  It never got much attention in the US when it was released.

I think that the song came out a year later in the US because that is around the time the movie hit video.  I know I bought my copy around February of 1985 at an import record shop in Buena Park, California.  It was so unlike anything else at the time, with the long musical intro that got louder.  It had an almost ethereal quality about it.  My roomie at the time was a real nut for The Police, and he instantly fell in love with it.

It was just a few months later that it was finally brought over and released in this country.  By that time, probably half of the guys in my barracks already had a copy of it.  I had one of the best stereos in the barracks, and the largest LP collection.  I always had guys comming over with blank tapes and making their own collections.

Hmmm...I wouldn't have guess Limahl would be a hit at an army barracks.  Learn something knew every day.  I guess since my images of army barracks come from the movies, I have a hard time picturing soldiers grooving to Limahl. 
;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/11/06 at 12:57 pm

Liked the flyling dog/luck dragon Falcor, was creeped out more by G'mork, the evil monster wolf beast.

He is truly the stuff of nightmares.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/12/06 at 12:03 am

I haven't really seen the first movie, I'll admit. But I really liked the 2nd Neverending Story movie. I had a crush on Jonathan Brandis when I went and saw the movie--and I was only 5 years old. :o I think he was my first ever celebrity crush, lol ;D Did anyone see the 3rd movie? I heard it was a TV movie and wasn't particularily great...but I haven't seen it so I can't comment.
8) I got my daughter the first one when she was around 5.. I just got the 2nd one and she said it sucked..she is 10 now..I watched it too AND i HAVE TO AGREE, THE SEQUIL WAS NOT VERY GOOD

Written By: Mushroom on 09/12/06 at 10:35 am

Hmmm...I wouldn't have guess Limahl would be a hit at an army barracks.  Learn something knew every day.  I guess since my images of army barracks come from the movies, I have a hard time picturing soldiers grooving to Limahl. 

Maxwell, it was Marines, not Army.

And the military listens to everything that everybody else does.  We had Headbangers, Funksters, Rappers, New Wave, Punk, even Country Cowboys.  Then there was always the oddball, who would be listening to Classical or Jazz.  And you also normally had at least a few that would be listening to Tejano or some other Ethnic music.

In fact, when I lived in open squadbays, it was common to see all the blacks segregate themselves to one area, and the whites to another.  Mostly this was done to prevent the music from clashing against each other.  In this way, there would be one area that was Rock & Country, and the other was Hip Hop & R&B.

Check for new replies or respond here...