inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Morris Minor and the Majors

Written By: whistledog on 09/15/06 at 3:59 am

Does anyone remember Morris Minor and the Majors?  They were a late 80s rap trio (led by comedian Tony Hawks) from Britain who are best known as one hit wonders for their 1987/1988 Beastie Boys style parody "Stutter Rap (No Sleep 'Til Bedtime)".

http://www.mrpayne.com/archive/photo_misc_Morris_Minor_and_the_Majors.jpg

Like so many British songs, it was a hit almost everywhere but America.  It reached #4 in the UK, #14 in Canada, and it topped the charts in Australia.  In the video, John Deacon (of Queen) makes a cameo appearance, wearing a blue wig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAIOzM7SsMo

Subject: Re: Morris Minor and the Majors

Written By: karen on 09/15/06 at 5:49 am

I happen to be reading Tony Hawks's book "Round Ireland with a Fridge" at the moment.  I can vaguely recall the song.  Perhaps watching the video will refresh my memory

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/06 at 6:12 am

I happen to be reading Tony Hawks's book "Round Ireland with a Fridge" at the moment.  I can vaguely recall the song.  Perhaps watching the video will refresh my memory
The enjoy book about when he play tennis against a foreign football team.

Written By: Paul on 09/15/06 at 6:52 am

Like so many British songs, it was a hit almost everywhere but America.  It reached #4 in the UK, #14 in Canada, and it topped the charts in Australia.

I'm surprised that this one even managed to escape our shores!  :o

There was also a spin-off TV show (which came on just after the Sports programme had finished on Saturdays), called Morris Minor's Marvellous Motors, which I think lasted one series and then the game was up!

Written By: karen on 09/15/06 at 7:36 am

The enjoy book about when he play tennis against a foreign football team.

Care to translate that into English Philip?  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/06 at 2:33 pm

Care to translate that into English Philip?   ;D
Playing the Moldovans at Tennis by Tony Hawks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Playing-Moldovans-Tennis-Tony-Hawks/dp/0091874564

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/15/06 at 8:45 pm

Does anyone remember Morris Minor and the Majors?  They were a late 80s rap trio (led by comedian Tony Hawks) from Britain who are best known as one hit wonders for their 1987/1988 Beastie Boys style parody "Stutter Rap (No Sleep 'Til Bedtime)".

And they always forget about the other half of Stutter Rap:  "Another Boring B-Side"  :)

Anyone know who did a parody (accents sounded heavily Irish) of the Beastie Boys' "No Sleep 'Til Brooklyn" called "No Sleep 'Til Belfast"?  I once had what sounded like a live recording of it, taped from radio, but I can't remember where it is.  Here are a few snippets:

"Five? years on we're still the same,
F*kin' losers in the same old game
(a line I forget)
Thought that we'd try somethin' new
So we decided to rap tonight,
But all we came up with was this old sh*te,
(a line I forget)
?inflammable materials? ?? in my head,
(some other line ended in -ed)

No sleep 'til...
Belfaaaaaaaaast!"

Written By: Nostalgic on 09/16/06 at 9:04 am

MMATM followed Stutter Rap with "This Is A Chorus". In the song's video clip they parody singers whose songs have been produced by Stock Aitken and Waterman, like Rick Astley, Kylie Minogue and Bananarama.

Written By: Banks on 09/17/06 at 5:57 am

The bit I remember from that song was:

"Im down and out
And Im down on my luck
Im livin' on my own and dyin for a f-f-f-friend to say
Your great!!!
But Im under the hammer
Cause all I seem to do is s-s-s-s-s-s-s-stammer"

Love that song. Have the single and the video somewhere.

AN

Written By: maddog on 09/17/06 at 3:07 pm

I remember it well Jason, I was reminded of it by one of your quizzes recently. It was a mildly amusing comedy record but, like Paul, I'm very surprised it made any impact outside of the UK.

I like Tony Hawks a lot, that book that karen mentioned, "Round Ireland With A Fridge", is very good, very funny. I wasn't so keen on "Playing The Moldovans At Tennis", I thought he pushed the same idea a bit too far with that one.

Tony appears irregularly as a panellist on the BBC radio comedy shows "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue" and "Just A Minute". On the former there's a musical game where they have to sing one song to the tune of another and Tony Hawks doing "Girlfriend In A Coma" to the tune of "Tiptoe Through The Tulips" had me doubled on the floor with laughter.

Written By: Paul on 09/17/06 at 4:44 pm

Anyone know who did a parody (accents sounded heavily Irish) of the Beastie Boys' "No Sleep 'Til Brooklyn" called "No Sleep 'Til Belfast"?  I once had what sounded like a live recording of it, taped from radio, but I can't remember where it is.  Here are a few snippets:

"Five? years on we're still the same,
F*kin' losers in the same old game
(a line I forget)
Thought that we'd try somethin' new
So we decided to rap tonight,
But all we came up with was this old sh*te,
(a line I forget)
?inflammable materials? ?? in my head,
(some other line ended in -ed)

No sleep 'til...
Belfaaaaaaaaast!"

Judging by the lyrics...U2?  :D

(Tch! No...they were from the south! Nice try, tho'...)

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/17/06 at 5:54 pm

Judging by the lyrics...U2?  :D

(Tch! No...they were from the south! Nice try, tho'...)

Heh.  Serves me right for not going for rule number one about pop culture:  JFGI.  Just (effing) Google It.  On account of someone will have remembered it and posted something autoritative.

Stiff Little Fingers did "No Sleep 'Til Belfast"

Written By: karen on 09/18/06 at 6:20 am

Heh.  Serves me right for not going for rule number one about pop culture:  JFGI.  Just (effing) Google It.  On account of someone will have remembered it and posted something autoritative.

Stiff Little Fingers did "No Sleep 'Til Belfast"

As I read your first post on this song I thought about Stiff Little Fingers.  They did a song called Suspect Device which contains the line Inflammable materials burning in my head, I've got a suspect device and there's 2000 dead (or something very similar).

Written By: maddog on 09/18/06 at 12:13 pm

I could hardly work out any of the lyrics to "Suspect Device" because (a) Jake Burns' singing style was a deliberate snarl and a growl with the words almost unintelligible and (b) it was only ever played on John Peel's late night show on Radio 1 medium wave, on which I got pretty distorted reception at the best of times!

Written By: karen on 09/19/06 at 2:59 am

I could hardly work out any of the lyrics to "Suspect Device" because (a) Jake Burns' singing style was a deliberate snarl and a growl with the words almost unintelligible and (b) it was only ever played on John Peel's late night show on Radio 1 medium wave, on which I got pretty distorted reception at the best of times!

My brother Stuart was a big SLF fan and played their LPs all the time.

Written By: whistledog on 09/22/06 at 3:31 am

The one thing I always loved about this song was how they parody "I Feel For You"

"He was gonna throw a bottle, he was gonna chuck a can, chuck a can, chuck-a .. chuck-a .. chuck-a .." ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...