inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Songs Did You Pay For In The Jukebox?!

Written By: ktelqueen on 09/15/06 at 11:40 pm

my clearest memory is circa 80/81 at a campground called 'The Ovens' in Nova Scotia eating grapenut icecream and picking..

Breakdown Ahead-Boz Scaggs
Funky Town-Lipps Inc
Ride Like the Wind-Christopher Cross

how 'bout you?  :D

Subject: Re: What Songs Did You Pay For In The Jukebox?!

Written By: Tia on 09/16/06 at 12:11 am

my last jukebox memory was pumping lots of money to hear repeated ac/dc songs at a country bar, and the next thing i remember, i guess i'd gotten beat up... whatever. it was weird.

but you know, if you're gonna go down in martyrdom for a band, ac/dc is a good one to do it for.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/16/06 at 12:14 am

I don't recall ever going someplace that had a jukebox.

Written By: ktelqueen on 09/16/06 at 12:15 am

my last jukebox memory was pumping lots of money to hear repeated ac/dc songs at a country bar, and the next thing i remember, i guess i'd gotten beat up... whatever. it was weird.

but you know, if you're gonna go down in martyrdom for a band, ac/dc is a good one to do it for.

ya know,shockingly,i kinda agree  :o ;D

Written By: ktelqueen on 09/16/06 at 12:16 am

[quote author=

Written By: whistledog on 09/16/06 at 12:16 am

Can't recall ever paying to play a jukebox, but in the 80s and 90s when my folks would take me to Sandbanks Provincial Beach in Picton, Ontario ... they had a little eatery / convenience store that we'd go into, and I always used to hear "Wave Babies" by Honeymoon Suite on the jukebox.  Guess the folks there were like super proud that the video for that song was filmed there  ;D

Written By: Davester on 09/16/06 at 4:45 am

Neat topic... 8)

('81-'83) Rocky's Diner, Thomposville, IL - Stopping by before school, which was just down the street, getting-in a little Pac-Man after dropping a few quarters into the jukebox:

Shake It Up ~ The Cars
  Open Arms ~ Journey
  Twilight Zone ~ Golden Earring
  Down Under ~ Men At Work

('84/'85) Small diner, Crockett, CA - My dad and I out for one of our walks around town on a cold, foggy evening (man, I miss that...).  We stop in the diner for a cup of coffe and a plate of nachos.  Dad gives me a quarter, "See what's on the jukebox...", he tells me:

Cover Me ~ Bruce Springsteen
  Beat It ~ Michael Jackson

groove ;) on...

Written By: maddog on 09/17/06 at 3:16 pm

There used to be a jukebox in the Students Union bar at Liverpool University when I was there in the early to mid Eighties.

At lunchtime I used to have two favourites, "Wanna Be Starting Something" by Michael Jackson and "Eighties" by Killing Joke.

On one occasion I put the latter on 5 times in succession but everyone else got fed up with it and the barman came over and unplugged it  >:(.

Written By: maddog on 09/17/06 at 3:23 pm

Come to think of it (and this is a good topic Maria), there was also a jukebox at our local YMCA where I used to attend weekly judo classes in the 1970s.

The jukebox was downstairs in the basement refreshment bar where all the kids could get a Coke and crisps etc. after their activities. It wasn't only the judo crowd, we used to mingle with the roller skaters and badminton players, oh yes we were an eclectic bunch  ;).

The big favourite I recall on that jukebox was "Rock and Roll Part II" by Gary Glitter. We all used to drum along on the tables with the palms of our hands and join in with the "hey" parts. It was a great memory of growing up for me but I'm afraid Gary's activities in his later life have tarnished those memories for all of us...  :(.

Written By: Paul on 09/17/06 at 4:41 pm

On one occasion I put the latter on 5 times in succession but everyone else got fed up with it and the barman came over and unplugged it  >:(.

Reminds me of an occasion where me and my cronies were almost 'barred' from a certain drinking establishment for playing The Scaffold's 'Lily the Pink' once too often...!!

Well, we liked it!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/17/06 at 4:52 pm

No Anchovies, Please-J. Giles.  :D :D :D

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/18/06 at 10:37 am

The earliest song I remember, Modern Love by David Bowie.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/18/06 at 11:54 pm

girl,run don't walk..there's gotta be a place near ya now!!! :D ;D

No, not really.  We don't really go to places that would have a jukebox.  We're not one for "family fun".

Written By: dcs84 on 09/19/06 at 12:01 am

I clearly remember stumbling across one of those video jukebox things at a pub back in the day, and seeing it had "Is there Something I should know" by Duran Duran, wild horses couldn't have prevented me from flicking in my coin and punching the appropriate numbered buttons.  Although the reaction from the Patrons when it began to play wasn't too friendly.

Written By: MysticMitch on 09/20/06 at 10:33 am

I have a few memories.  One when I was with my family at a Pizza Hut in central Jersey.  The only record I can remember picking constantly was Phil Collins "Sussudio".  I'm surprised no one wanted to unplug the box considering how many times it was played.  Hey, I was about six when the song came out and didn't know better.

Also, my family went to a party for one of my dad's friends.  It was held in some dance hall (ballroom?) with a bar on the other side.  We were there for an hour or so when they rolled the jukebox in from the bar side.  I don't remember many of the songs in there, but I did play "Allentown" a few times.  Also "Upside Down" and some Michael Jackson tune.

Another time was at, might've been the same, Pizza Hut.  My brother and I picked some tunes.  I was hanging around listening to "Boys Of Summer" when all of a sudden, the jukebox ejected the record in the middle of the song.  After that, it would play part of each record after that and eject early or halfway into it.  When we asked for our change back, the guy at the counter thought we messed with the machine.  Shortly afterwards, he put it out of service.  The last song that we heard, someone else's pick, was "Manic Monday" and surprisingly that one played all the way through.

Last 80's jukebox memory was when I picked what I thought was the song "Reflex" by Duran Duran, but it turned out to be "Politics Of Dancing" by The Reflex.  Looks like I could'nt read title cards too well back then.  Didn't like that song originally, but now it's one of my faves.

Written By: DJ Midas on 09/20/06 at 5:13 pm

I can't recall what songs I used to pick out, but the last jukebox I remember paying for plays that actually had 45's was Gario's pizza in/near Aurora IL. (Montgomery?).  Anywho, that was circa 1985 so I'm thinking there was stuff like Journey and DeBarge and some Don Henley.

Last place I went that had a jukebox was a bar in downtown Aurora in July.  It actually had the ability to find mp3s and play them on request.  My bro paid for some Twisted Sister and Scorpions and The Cult.

Written By: karen on 09/22/06 at 11:11 am

A few memories of jukebox things from the eighties

Finding that a pub (Forest Gate) had Wipeout by The Surfaris on their jukebox and playing it a lot every time we went there.
In the same pub a friend mistyping the number and playing Sunglasses by Tracey Ullman instead of some Duran Duran number.
Can't recall who it's by but playing Camouflage at least once a night in the Three Nuns in honour of our mate Tony who wore a camouflage jacket.
Finding a pub in Derby with extreme stereo.  It was a huge place and you could only ever here one side of the speakers.  Real stereo effect songs were surreal because chunks of it were missing.  Bohemian Rhapsody was silent for large parts of it!

Written By: Dagwood on 09/24/06 at 7:35 pm

The only song that stands out in my mind is Disco Duck, but that was in the 70's.

Written By: spaceace on 09/30/06 at 5:24 pm

I Love Rock and Roll by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.  Brick House.  Push It by Salt and Pepa. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/1blue1.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...