inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80's Food & Recipes

Written By: sparklyj on 09/16/06 at 2:28 pm

Hey!  I need some help!  I'm having an 80's party in about a month and I need food ideas!  I've tried to look up popular foods to serve that stay within the theme.  I've found a lot of popular candies such as Fun Dip, Nerds, Pop Rocks, Pixie Sticks and such, and I plan on having those scattered about, but I'm looking for some actual food to serve.  More so probably appetizer-finger food type of things.  If any one has any ideas or recipes, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone has decorating ideas, I'd love those too.  I've already gotten 80's albums and plan on using the covers, I've got cassette tapes and plan on having those strewn about.  I was thinking about splatter-painting a black sheet with neon colors and using that as a table cloth.  I've been looking for 80's posters, with no luck there too. 

I can't wait to hear some fun ideas!!  I know there's plenty of creative people out there that can help me bring back the 80's for a night!!

Subject: Re: 80's Food & Recipes

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/16/06 at 2:35 pm

that sounds like it will be a lot of fun.  I really can't think of any specific 80's foods...however, I know back in the 80's..my mom would get her fondue maker and we would cook things like cheese and then dip assortments of bread in them. That would be kind of neat to have several fondue makers with things like melted cheeses, or melted chocolate...etc.  Here's a link for some fondue recipes:

http://allrecipes.com/directory/2972.asp

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/18/06 at 3:20 pm

What a great idea for a party!  And your decor sounds great too.  You'll have to post some pics afterward.

I think that Totino's pizza rolls came out in the 80's and were pretty popular.  Other than that, most of the party food back then was the same as it is today.  Cheetos, Doritos, Pringles - your average junk food.  I wish I could be more helpful... 

Written By: robby76 on 09/18/06 at 8:34 pm

I remember in the early 80s my Mum went for microwave cooking classes. She used to try out all the new recipes on us.  ;D

Written By: sparklyj on 09/23/06 at 9:44 am

Thanks for the help guys!  I don't know what all I'm going to do yet, but I'm for sure checking into the pizza rolls (which I could microwave too~ hehe!).  I got pixie sticks and candy cigarettes too~ colorful, fun and funny!!  ;D

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/23/06 at 11:25 pm

that sounds like it will be a lot of fun.  I really can't think of any specific 80's foods...however, I know back in the 80's..my mom would get her fondue maker and we would cook things like cheese and then dip assortments of bread in them. That would be kind of neat to have several fondue makers with things like melted cheeses, or melted chocolate...etc.  Here's a link for some fondue recipes:

http://allrecipes.com/directory/2972.asp
8) My mom was a HUGE fondue fan...every party..out came the fondue Maker...I just remember that I thought it was gross ev one dipping thier bread...double dipping..in the same mix!...lol..

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/23/06 at 11:51 pm

8) My mom was a HUGE fondue fan...every party..out came the fondue Maker...I just remember that I thought it was gross ev one dipping thier bread...double dipping..in the same mix!...lol..

hahaaha...yes, we had a "no double dipping" rule...when my mom would make a fondue recipe....I used to love it though...those little fondue forks...it was so neato! :D ;D

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/24/06 at 12:16 am

hahaaha...yes, we had a "no double dipping" rule...when my mom would make a fondue recipe....I used to love it though...those little fondue forks...it was so neato! :D ;D
  8) I always set the table...so I got first dibs ..bfore the double dipping!!

Written By: spaceace on 09/30/06 at 8:32 pm

Dorritos and salsa (cheese in the salsa is usually best)  If possible get a party size sub. (for about 20 people) As for drinks wine coolers, my mom would suggest a punch made of fruit juice and 7 up.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/bdaybiggrin.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...