inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rothschilds?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/18/06 at 9:38 pm

It was a toss-up whether to post this in the '70s or the '80s thread.  I chose the '80s because that's when I last saw the product.
I first knew the name Rothschild as a name of line of sweets,* which I think were manufactured by Warner-Lambert, and later by Switzer.  Rothschilds candies seem to have disappeared from the face of the Earth with scant info about the brand on the web.
I recall seeing them and purchasing them between c. 1978--1982.  Only later would I hear of the namesake, the family of financiers, and all its controversial ramifications.
The candies were toffees, butterscotches, licorice and chocalate chews packaged in garish gold-colored foil with a dark brown (if I remember right) outer paper imprinted with "Rothschilds."  The confections were slightly higher quality than your NECCOS, Lifesavers, and M&Ms, but vended from the same candy racks.  They sort of disappeared in my early teens, and I never heard the story behind it, other than a clue from this NYT blurb:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=990DE1D7123BF934A1575BC0A967948260

Television commercial tagline: "Not now, I'm right in the middle of a Rothschild!"

*not to be confused with the cigar brand.  I can't even find a picture of the sweet brand online!
???

Subject: Re: Rothschilds?

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 09/21/06 at 6:12 pm

I remember eating them. Now Wurthers (sp) is sort of like them.

Subject: Re: Rothschilds?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/22/06 at 12:58 am

I remember eating them. Now Wurthers (sp) is sort of like them.

I like Werther's, but I don't eat 'em anymore, spent too much money on my dental work!

Check for new replies or respond here...