inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Duran Duran

Written By: Tam on 09/19/06 at 1:59 pm

http://www.imissthe80s.com/images/albumtheme.jpg

Duran Duran are a British New Wave band notable for a long series of catchy, synthesizer-driven hit singles and vivid music videos. They were the most commercially successful of the New Romantic bands, and a leading band in the MTV-driven Second British Invasion of the United States. They are still often identified as an "Eighties band" despite continuous recording and chart success over their twenty-eight year history.

The band has sold well over 70 million records worldwide, and has had eighteen singles in the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and thirty in the Top 40 of the UK Singles Chart, including "Rio", "Hungry Like the Wolf", "Is There Something I Should Know?", "The Reflex" and the James Bond theme "A View to a Kill" in the 1980s, "Ordinary World" and "Come Undone" in the early-1990s, and "Sunrise" and "What Happens Tomorrow" in the 2000s.

Duran Duran was created by Nick Rhodes (keyboards) and John Taylor (bass), with the later addition of Roger Taylor (drums), Andy Taylor (guitar), and Simon Le Bon (lead vocals); none of the Taylors are related. Guitarist Warren Cuccurullo was also a member of the band from 1989 to 2001, and drummer Sterling Campbell was a member from 1989 to 1991.

Although the group never disbanded, it went through several line-up changes over the years. The reunion of the original five members in the early 2000s created a stir among music media and the band's fans. Duran Duran released the first album from the reunited line-up, Astronaut, in 2004, and the next new album is expected to be released in early 2007.

Influence:
Although they began their career as "a group of art school, experimental, post punk rockers" in the tradition of Roxy Music, the band's quick rise to stardom, polished good looks, and embrace of the teen press almost guaranteed disfavor from music critics. The British music press was particularly venomous. During the 1980s, Duran Duran were considered the quintessential manufactured, throw-away pop group

Subject: Re: Duran Duran

Written By: Tam on 09/19/06 at 3:00 pm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/24/Duran_Duran_Notorious.jpg

1 "Notorious"                                    Notorious Video
2 "American Science" 
3 "Skin Trade"                                   Skin Trade Video
4 "A Matter Of Feeling"
5 "Hold Me"
6 "Vertigo (Do The Demolition)"
7 "So Misled" 
8 "Meet El Presidente"                       Meet El Presidente Video
9 Winter Marches On
10 Proposition

The next album Big Thing (1988) yielded the singles "I Don't Want Your Love", "Do You Believe In Shame?" and "All She Wants Is" (the last a top ten hit in the UK). The record was very experimental, taking inspirations from house music and rave music and mixing it with Duran's atmospheric synth pop and more mature lyrics (the juvenile title track notwithstanding). The album strongly featuring Cuccurullo's creative guitar work. By the next year, after touring for the album finished, Duran Duran would regain a five-man membership as Cuccurullo and tour drummer Sterling Campbell were made full-time members of Duran Duran.

Duran Duran would later allow the single "Do You Believe In Shame?" to be included on the soundtrack for Tequila Sunrise. Ironically, former guitarist Andy Taylor, still trying his hand at a solo career, contributed his own song, "Dead on the Money" for the soundtrack; it was the last time Taylor would appear on the same record with his former bandmates, until the release of Astronaut in 2004.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/af/Duran_duran_big_thing.jpg/200px-Duran_duran_big_thing.jpg

1 "Big Thing"
2 "I Don't Want Your Love"                I Don't Want Your Love Video
3 "All She Wants Is"                           All She Wants Is Video
4 "Too Late Marlene" 
5 "Drug (It's Just A State Of Mind)"
6 "Do You Believe In Shame?"             Do You Believe In Shame Video
7 "Palomino" 
8 "Interlude One"
9 "Land" 
10 "Flute Interlude" 
11 "The Edge Of America" 
12 "Lake Shore Driving"

A greatest hits album titled Decade: Greatest Hits was released late in 1989, along with the megamix single "Burning The Ground" which consisted of woven snippets of the band's hits from the previous ten years. The single came and went with little fanfare, but the album became another major seller for the band.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/36/Duran_Duran-Decade%E2%80%93Greatest_Hits.jpg

1 "Planet Earth" 
2 "Girls on Film" 
3 "Hungry Like the Wolf"
4 "Rio" 
5 "Save a Prayer"
6 "Is There Something I Should Know?" 
7 "Union of the Snake"
8 "The Reflex
9 "Wild Boys" 
10 "A View to a Kill" 
11 "Notorious
12 "Skin Trade "
13 "I Don't Want Your Love "
14 "All She Wants Is" 

However, the tepid 1990 release Liberty (a retreat from the experimentation of Big Thing) failed to capitalize on any regained momentum

Written By: whistledog on 09/19/06 at 4:58 pm

Fantastic job Tam!

I was just listening to "Violence of Summer" the other day.  It's a shame the "Liberty!" album did not become a smash success

Written By: Davester on 09/19/06 at 11:11 pm

Never heard of these guys...

Wow, the "I Don't Want Your Love" vid is a real blast from the past.  I first heard the song while in Williamshaven, Germany at one of those cool record stores where you could pick any  album and preview it on headphones in a lounge area while reclining on big, over-stuffed sofas...

I picked-up the cassingle of that song and played it well.  picked up the album Big Thing a short time later in the States...

Everything after Big Thing  I never payed attention to...

Anyway, my favorite work by these guys is definately Seven and the Ragged TigerEvery  track is a winner, IMO...

groove ;) on...

P/S:  I like the user comment below the "I Don't Want Your Love" vid:

"House music befor pepole know about HOUSE MUSIC
            Bravo! Ritham is the power!"
                                                    ~bejbe

Written By: DJ Midas on 09/20/06 at 5:25 pm

Fantastic job Tam!

I was just listening to "Violence of Summer" the other day.  It's a shame the "Liberty!" album did not become a smash success

It's also a shame that the remixes for "Violence Of Summer" sucked @$$.  :P

I like the user comment below the "I Don't Want Your Love" vid:

"House music befor pepole know about HOUSE MUSIC
            Bravo! Ritham is the power!"
                                                     ~bejbe

I wouldn't even consider "I Don't Want Your Love" a house track.  If anything, it sounds like freestyle IMO.  Good tune tho'.  ;) go...

Written By: whistledog on 09/20/06 at 6:22 pm

It's also a shame that the remixes for "Violence Of Summer" sucked @$$.  :P

They did yes ;D

How about "Fire" by Ferry Corsten?  It was actually more successful than the original "Serious"

Written By: DJ Midas on 09/20/06 at 8:25 pm

They did yes ;D

How about "Fire" by Ferry Corsten?  It was actually more successful than the original "Serious"

Yeah I like "Fire", and it's a shame "Serious" didn't do better than it did.

Written By: Apricot on 10/22/06 at 11:27 am

I know a few off The Wedding Album and love them.

I can't say outside of, maybe "Girls on Film" and "Rio" that I've heard too much otherwise, though.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/27/06 at 4:51 am

Despite my love of '80s music, ironically I could never get into them too much. However, I like "The Reflex": a pop-wave guilty pleasure along the lines of "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go". So cheesy that it's good. 8)

They did make great videos, though. I think many of those second British Invasion bands were more visual than musical.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/27/06 at 1:19 pm

Ordinary World is one of the best songs ever.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/27/06 at 1:57 pm

I love that song.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/27/06 at 2:02 pm

I love that song.

Me too.  :)

Written By: Apricot on 01/15/07 at 10:31 am

Absolutely.. there are some songs you just wonder how someone even made them, they're that good.. this one is up there.

Check for new replies or respond here...