inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who remembers the 1980 Aussie hit "SPACE INVADERS" by PLAYER ONE??.. [video]

Written By: MERV SKILTON on 09/19/06 at 4:58 pm

Everybody remembers the Atari game "SPACE INVADERS".. ::)
..but who remembers the song dedicated to the game..?
"Space Invaders" by PLAYER ONE (Australia)
..it was a No.1 song in Australia in 1980..  :)
was this song given airplay in The UK & USA?

Here it is.. the music video from 1980..
:D www.shamozzle.com/PlayerOne-SpaceInvaders.html 

"Space Invaders" by PLAYER ONE

i luv it.. 

..what do you think if you have never seen & heard it before?

Subject: Re: Who remembers the 1980 Aussie hit "SPACE INVADERS" by PLAYER ONE??.. [video]

Written By: whistledog on 09/19/06 at 4:59 pm

quite cheesy it is ;D

I can tell you that it was not popular in either Canada or the USA

Subject: Re: Who remembers the 1980 Aussie hit "SPACE INVADERS" by PLAYER ONE??.. [video]

Written By: Davester on 09/19/06 at 10:55 pm

Sup, Merv...

I can't get the vid to load, but I'll keep trying (crappy connection... >:()

Guessing it's a Buckner & Garcia-ish ode to Space Invaders, which has  to be cheesy/cool groove ;) on...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/19/06 at 11:25 pm

No, I don't see how any video game song could be 1/2 has annoying as Buckner and Garcia's "Pacman Fever."  They're both going to rot in hell for that.
>:(

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 09/21/06 at 2:34 am

I not only remember it, but have a copy of the song when it was aired on "Dr. Demento"!

I also am getting access to all Buckner & Garcia material, including a never-released song based on "Joust".

The reason for this fantastic premise?
Simple: I got in touch with the Dastardly Duo recently, because I have an idea for a sequel/companion LP to theirs, and they liked the idea I came up with.
They cued me into some material they had never released, but had worked on for a second LP of this nature.

If I can pull it off, who knows? You may see "Pac-Man Fever: The Sequel"!

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/21/06 at 10:28 pm

I also am getting access to all Buckner & Garcia material, including a never-released song based on "Joust".

*blink*  That's probably one of the most interesting musical finds out there.

Please, see if they can get the rights to release it, even if only on a noncommercial basis.

I've got the original album (on vinyl, no less!), and prefer its sampling to the CD re-release they issued.  Not their fault they couldn't get the rights to the samples the second time around as easily as they could back in the '80s. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/22/06 at 12:57 am

*blink*  That's probably one of the most interesting musical finds out there.

Please, see if they can get the rights to release it, even if only on a noncommercial basis.

"May God forgive me for what I have unleashed onto this Earth "
--Evil Dead (as sampled on Skinny Puppy's "Who's Lauging Now")

Written By: Davester on 09/22/06 at 1:07 am

"May God forgive me for what I have unleashed onto this Earth "
--Evil Dead (as sampled on Skinny Puppy's "Who's Lauging Now")

LOL :D

Foo Bar and I are sadists...

But, it's still not  okay to cry in public...go ;)...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/22/06 at 1:26 am

But, it's still not  okay to cry in public...go ;)...

I would say it a bit differently.  It's not ok to snivel in public, like Ed Muskie.  If you're going to cry, man, just let it rip.  Do a Jimmy Swaggart!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/cry(1).gif

Written By: andré on 10/13/10 at 6:28 pm

i think SPACE INVADERS WAS ONE OF THE BEST SONG IN 1980 NO IT WAS THE BEST SONG IN 1980 AND FOR THE ONE WHO SAID IT WAS NOT POPULAR IN CANADA AND USA YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MUSIC HAS ADJ FROM 1975 HAS TODAY 2010 I AM STILL SPINNING HAS A DJ IN REUNION SCHOOL STILL ASK FOR THAT SONG SO IN YOUR PART WHERE YOU LIVE U DID NOT KNOW GOOD MUSIC FROM ANDRE IN CANADA I HOPE ONE DAY I WILL GET A RESPOND FROM THE GROUP PLAYER ONE XOXOXO

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/14/10 at 11:43 pm

1980 was for the most part pre-cable.  It was starting in affluent urban communities.  No MTV.  If the local FM radio stations didn't push it, we didn't hear it!

Written By: LeighMJ on 01/16/11 at 7:41 pm

i think SPACE INVADERS WAS ONE OF THE BEST SONG IN 1980 NO IT WAS THE BEST SONG IN 1980 AND FOR THE ONE WHO SAID IT WAS NOT POPULAR IN CANADA AND USA YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MUSIC HAS ADJ FROM 1975 HAS TODAY 2010 I AM STILL SPINNING HAS A DJ IN REUNION SCHOOL STILL ASK FOR THAT SONG SO IN YOUR PART WHERE YOU LIVE U DID NOT KNOW GOOD MUSIC FROM ANDRE IN CANADA I HOPE ONE DAY I WILL GET A RESPOND FROM THE GROUP PLAYER ONE XOXOXO

Sorry to say Andre but you won't get a response from them.  Space Invaders by Player was written/produced/sung by BAD (Brown And Dunlop).  They parted ways many years ago and my uncle, Russell Dunlop, passed away a couple of years ago.  I'm sure he would be please his music is still getting requested.

Leigh

Written By: whistledog on 01/17/11 at 8:27 am

I am from Canada.  I was alive in 1980.  I do not remember this song, nor does it appear in any chart listings for Canada.  It probably got radio play in clubs and college circuits, but for those people who only listened to what was on the radio, Player One, complete unknowns in Canada

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/18/11 at 9:29 pm

I am from Canada.  I was alive in 1980.  I do not remember this song, nor does it appear in any chart listings for Canada.  It probably got radio play in clubs and college circuits, but for those people who only listened to what was on the radio, Player One, complete unknowns in Canada

I can't vouch for Canada (other than that I heard it on the radio up there), but here's some evidence for Space Invaders popularity in Australia.  It also includes a complete solution to the lyrics, including background vocals towards the part where the song fades out.

Now I have to go find A Menacing Glow In The Sky, which was the B-side of one of the 7" releases.  (Unless it also appeared as "Space Suite" on the album...)

And Leigh?  Guess what just became the next album on my lyric transcription list?  I freaking loved that album.  

"Microprocessor, changing our lives,
Our fate is etched on silicon chips."
 - Player , Microprocessor, from "Game Over" ca. 1980

Were either of their backgrounds technical?  There are a few lines that strongly suggest a techie background: you pretty much had to live in Northern California at a certain time to remember what the Valley was like "before" it became Silicon Valley, and the time during which Silicon Valley transformed from an agricultural land ("geranium") into the world's center of high tech is roughly the era (50s-70s) in which germanium was replaced by silicon in transistors/ICs.

Check for new replies or respond here...