inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anyone know this song?

Written By: MysticMitch on 09/20/06 at 10:44 am

I've been looking for this song a long time.  Maybe someone here can help me.  I know the main chorus goes "I wanna soak it up, I'm gonna soak it up, I wanna soak it up.  I'm a sponge for your love."  It was a really odd song, but the melody was interesting.  I only remember it from seeing the music video on U68 out of north Jersey (the poor man's MTV).  Any help appreciated.

Subject: Re: Does anyone know this song?

Written By: Guest on 09/20/06 at 3:30 pm

Can you give some other info?

About what year?

Male or female?

Group or Solo?

Style?  (Rock, New Wave, R&B, Country. etc)

Written By: MysticMitch on 09/21/06 at 1:24 am

Can you give some other info?

About what year?

Male or female?

Group or Solo?

Style?  (Rock, New Wave, R&B, Country. etc)

I'll try.  It was a male group that may have been British (they sounded a bit like it).  The music video looked early 80's.  Might have been new wave (or even punk).  Very synthesizer heavy.

Other lyrics I can think of are (may not be exact) "...my baby come unwound...my baby's wearing a tupolatin gown(?), A tupolatin gown in the fountain of love, oh whoa... (and then it goes into the chorus)... I'm gonna soak it up, I wanna soak it up, I'm gonna soak it up.  I'm a sponge for your love".

If you have an idea of what the song may be, definitely let me know.  The song sounds dark/haunting.  Its arrangement is very strange and very catchy at the same time.

Thanks for your help.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 09/21/06 at 2:37 am

4 specific groups come to mind:

-Information Society
-Devo (although I don't recall any songs about sponges...)
-Invisible Sex
-Soft Cell

A close 5th would be: Naked Eyes
A distant 6th would be: Romeo Void

Try those.

Written By: Ansand on 09/21/06 at 1:29 pm

I've been looking for this song a long time.  Maybe someone here can help me.  I know the main chorus goes "I wanna soak it up, I'm gonna soak it up, I wanna soak it up.  I'm a sponge for your love."  It was a really odd song, but the melody was interesting.  I only remember it from seeing the music video on U68 out of north Jersey (the poor man's MTV).  Any help appreciated.

It's called "Soak It Up" by Barnes and Barnes from 1983.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b7GGQ9tBoY

They also did "Fish Heads" 

Written By: Mushroom on 09/21/06 at 2:28 pm

Ahhh, Art & Artie Barnes, the brothers from Lumania.  Once I was reminded of them, I recognized the song.

And yes, they had many similarities with DEVO.  In fact, for both groups some of their earliest exposure came from appearances on Saturday Night Live.

Most people do not realize that Artie Barnes is in real Life Bill Mumy.  In addition to being Will Robinson on Lost In Space, he was also Anthony in the iconic episode of The Twilight Zone; I'ts A Good Life.

His musical ability is less well known however.  As a musician, he has toured as a musician for Rick Springfield, Sean Cassidy, and America.  And of course being half of Barnes & Barnes.

Written By: MysticMitch on 09/22/06 at 5:49 am

It's called "Soak It Up" by Barnes and Barnes from 1983.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b7GGQ9tBoY

They also did "Fish Heads" 

That's the one!!!  THANK YOU!!!  I haven't heard that song in about 20 years.  Never knew who sang it.  I appreciate the video link too!

And another thanks goes to HawkTheSlayer for helping also.

Check for new replies or respond here...