inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: alcoholic beverages/ mixed drinks of the 80s

Written By: jeanette on 09/24/06 at 10:33 pm

what were the alcohol beverages and mixed drinks of the 80s?? i need to kno sum funky ones

Subject: Re: alcoholic beverages/ mixed drinks of the 80s

Written By: robby76 on 09/25/06 at 6:10 am

Cinzano and lemonade... not funky but oh so popular!

Written By: Gis on 09/25/06 at 6:50 am

I was too busy getting rat arsed on beer and cheap wine.  ;D

Written By: karen on 09/25/06 at 9:27 am

I used to drink either dry martini and lemonade or vodka and orange.

Written By: Davester on 09/25/06 at 9:43 am

The Diver  at Silky O'Sullivan's in Memphis, TN...

While stationed near Memphis in the late 80s, I'd visit Silky's frequently...

The Diver (mixed and served in a paint bucket), according to Silky's website:

It's a secret concoction, if we told you what's in it, we'd have to kill ya'. Keep the Bucket, it might come in handy...

It did  come in handy...

Written By: Gis on 09/25/06 at 10:16 am

I used to drink either dry martini and lemonade or vodka and orange.
I did used to drink vodka and lime for a while, I used to have to hold my nose and chuck it back because I hated the taste! I still don't drink spirits now.

Written By: Gis on 09/25/06 at 10:16 am

It's a secret concoction, if we told you what's in it, we'd have to kill ya'. Keep the Bucket, it might come in handy...

It did  come in handy...

Sounds a bit like an 'Around the world' which was a shot of everything behind the bar....................

Written By: robby76 on 09/25/06 at 10:31 am

Babycham was the epitome of girlie 80s alcohol in the UK.

Written By: karen on 09/25/06 at 10:46 am

Babycham was the epitome of girlie 80s alcohol in the UK.

can't say I ever drank it.

Apart from the martini and vodka mentioned above I generally drank bitter or, if I was feeling flush, Stella Artois.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/25/06 at 11:47 am

Bartles & Jaymes. Thank you for your support.  :D

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/25/06 at 2:43 pm

Bartles & Jaymes.

Cat

I remember those!

How about Mudslides?  Mmmmmm.... :D

Written By: Paul on 09/25/06 at 2:55 pm

Apart from the obligatory cocktails, I seem to remember that a lot of ladies from my part of the world drank brandy and cream soda, which sounds positively disgusting!  :P

For the fellas, 'lager top' was the order of the day...almost a pint of lager with a splash of lemonade (and that was disgusting, too!)

'Snakebites' went through a popular time in the 80s...lager and cider in equal quantities with an optional squirt of blackcurrant juice...gave you a hangover lasting three weeks, if you were lucky!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/25/06 at 2:59 pm

Apart from the obligatory cocktails, I seem to remember that a lot of ladies from my part of the world drank brandy and cream soda, which sounds positively disgusting!   :P

For the fellas, 'lager top' was the order of the day...almost a pint of lager with a splash of lemonade (and that was disgusting, too!)

'Snakebites' went through a popular time in the 80s...lager and cider in equal quantities with an optional squirt of blackcurrant juice...gave you a hangover lasting three weeks, if you were lucky!

None of those sound very appealing to me... :P

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/25/06 at 3:03 pm

'Fuzzy Navels' (Peach Schnapps & orange juice) and 'Amaretto Sours' (Amaretto & sweet 'n' sour mix) are a couple more I remember having on occasion in the 1980's...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/25/06 at 3:08 pm

'Fuzzy Navels' (Peach Schnapps & orange juice) and 'Amaretto Sours' (Amaretto & sweet 'n' sour mix) are a couple more I remember having on occasion in the 1980's...

I love fuzzy navels. Drink them all the time (well, maybe not ALL the time-but frequently.  ;) )

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/25/06 at 3:24 pm

I love fuzzy navels. Drink them all the time (well, maybe not ALL the time-but frequently.  ;) )

Cat

They're good, but they're awfully sweet!  :D

Written By: Davester on 09/25/06 at 4:01 pm

Bartles & Jaymes. Thank you for your support.  :D

Cat

Gads, the wine cooler craze...

I remember buying another brand, California Cooler, in 2-liter bottles...

Don't know when it was first introduced, but I remember drinking this Mad Dog 20/20 stuff, came in a variety of flavors, that left me with the absolute worst hang-overs I've ever had in my life go ;)...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/25/06 at 4:38 pm

They're good, but they're awfully sweet!  :D

I don't find them too sweet.

Gads, the wine cooler craze...

I remember buying another brand, California Cooler, in 2-liter bottles...

Don't know when it was first introduced, but I remember drinking this Mad Dog 20/20 stuff, came in a variety of flavors, that left me with the absolute worst hang-overs I've ever had in my life go ;)...

Talk about too sweet. I found that after awhile, I couldn't drink wine coolers because they were too sweet. Yeah, I remember California Coolers, too.

(And in both of your cases, you both have just the right amount of sweetness.  ;) )

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/25/06 at 4:49 pm

(And in both of your cases, you both have just the right amount of sweetness.  ;) )

Cat

That's awfully sweet of you to say, Cat...

Thank you!  :)

Modified to let you know that I just gave you a karma point!  8)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/25/06 at 4:57 pm

Michelob Dry.

Written By: Gis on 09/26/06 at 4:13 am

I only tried mad dog 20/20 once that was enough...............

In the late 80's Thunderbird was hugely popular lord only knows why it was like paint stripper!

Paul is right about Snakebite though, that was huge in the 80's in the U.K everyone was drinking it and getting sick..........

Written By: karen on 09/26/06 at 6:19 am

Paul is right about Snakebite though, that was huge in the 80's in the U.K everyone was drinking it and getting sick..........

Snakebite and black is known locally as a Purple Nasty and is very popular with the students.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/26/06 at 10:31 am

That's awfully sweet of you to say, Cat...

Thank you!  :)

Modified to let you know that I just gave you a karma point!  8)

Thanks. Right back at ya.

Cat

Written By: mighty_lemon_drop on 09/27/06 at 3:42 pm

Cinzano and lemonade... not funky but oh so popular!

Cinzano was quite a popular drink in the 80's. Nowadays it has almost disappeared. In fact red vermouth is not a common drink today. I didn't and still don't like any type of vermouth though.

Written By: spaceace on 09/29/06 at 8:05 pm

Boone's, I drank that stuff like Kool-Aid.  I'm not ashamed to admit, give me Boone's it's GONE. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/06 at 11:15 pm

Wine Cooler hangovers were an awfully nasty affair!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/suru.gif

Written By: GlamDiva on 09/30/06 at 9:35 pm

Fuzzy Navels, yep that ultimate drink....and Woo woo's  Peach schnapps and cranberry juice.

Oh and cant forget the Kamikazee. Vodka shot and triple sec was it? and lime juice

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/01/06 at 4:45 am

Each member of my family (with the exception of my 5 year-old daughter) has a favorite '80s cocktail.

This is verified via Mr. Boston's Bartender's Guide, 50th Edition, circa 1985.

My Mom- Whiskey Sour

My Wife- Melon Balls (must be made with Midori)

My Older Sister- Harvey Wallbangers

My Older Brother- Alabama Slammers

Me- 3-Way Tie between: Singapore Slings, Bahama Mamas, and Shandy Gaffs.

Written By: spaceace on 10/01/06 at 1:16 pm

What about good old rum and coke?  That was really big back during my early party years. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/01/06 at 2:33 pm

Each member of my family (with the exception of my 5 year-old daughter) has a favorite '80s cocktail.

This is verified via Mr. Boston's Bartender's Guide, 50th Edition, circa 1985.

My Mom- Whiskey Sour

My Wife- Melon Balls (must be made with Midori)

My Older Sister- Harvey Wallbangers

My Older Brother- Alabama Slammers

Me- 3-Way Tie between: Singapore Slings, Bahama Mamas, and Shandy Gaffs.

I used to drink Whiskey Sours until they became...um...too sour for me.

Cat

Written By: GlamDiva on 10/01/06 at 3:30 pm

I went to bartender school, we call whiskey sours and 7 in 7's the "grandma drink" LOL

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/02/06 at 12:00 pm

I went to bartender school, we call whiskey sours and 7 in 7's the "grandma drink" LOL

Yeah, I used to drink 7 and 7's too (or anything like it-whiskey, burbon, scotch, etc. with either 7 Up, Sprite, Ginger Ale-I wasn't picky) and I called them "14s" You know, 7 + 7 = 14.  :D ;D ;D  So, I guess that I was (and still am) a "grandma".  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: bj26 on 10/02/06 at 3:21 pm

flying zombo   
Some drink that Steve Martin offers to buy Rick Moranis in the fascinating movie "My Blue Heaven". Quote: "You know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna buy you a drink. I'm gonna buy you a flying zombo."

Whatever it is it sounds good :D I've probably had a few :)

Written By: joedeertae on 10/03/06 at 4:51 pm

Tom Colliins and Funkey Cold Madina  :D

Written By: Wiffle on 10/04/06 at 1:18 am

I spent a lot of money on booze in the 1980s and 1990s.

Bartles and Jaymes wine coolers
Kamikazes
Corona with lime
Tequila shooters with the lime and salt
Long Island Iced Tea
Amaretto and orange juice
Sex on the Beach (shock value name)

For the youngsters: Boone's Farm. We snuck that into more than one church dance.

I actually remember going to Kelbo's, a tiki bar in West L.A. and having rum drinks there but that was just a blur.

I know most of those had been mentioned, I'm just adding my .02

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/06 at 2:03 am

What about good old rum and coke?  That was really big back during my early party years. :)

We used to mix rum and Coke, just with the portions reversed!  We used to buy the cheap sh*t too, really bad Bacardi!
Yeah, I still get nauseous from the scent of rum and Coke.  Reminds me of upchucking in the bushes at the age of sixteen!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sad4.gif

For the youngsters: Boone's Farm. We snuck that into more than one church dance.

Ah, then I assume it wasn't a Unitarian church dance.  Unitarian dance you snuck in something to smoke, not something to drink!
;)

Written By: Wiffle on 10/04/06 at 7:46 am

It did  come in handy...

This reminded me of the Red Onion chain of restaurant bars/"cantinas" in the 1980s. I think liquor laws have changed or maybe liability issues since then, but they used to sell you "buckets" of an alcohol drink of your choice. They offered margaritas, long island iced teas, and some others. They brought you the bucket with a bunch of straws so you could share. We often didn't share.  ;)

Another thing they did was have special events on "slow nights" (like Sundays) where people paid a cover charge and alcohol was included or a number of drink tickets were provided at the door (I distrinctly remember getting five drinks and a Mexican appetizer buffet for $5).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/06 at 8:36 pm

This reminded me of the Red Onion chain of restaurant bars/"cantinas" in the 1980s. I think liquor laws have changed or maybe liability issues since then, but they used to sell you "buckets" of an alcohol drink of your choice. They offered margaritas, long island iced teas, and some others. They brought you the bucket with a bunch of straws so you could share. We often didn't share.  ;)

Another thing they did was have special events on "slow nights" (like Sundays) where people paid a cover charge and alcohol was included or a number of drink tickets were provided at the door (I distrinctly remember getting five drinks and a Mexican appetizer buffet for $5).

That reminds me of a place around here that had a weekend special of $2.00 pitchers of malt liquor.  The result: brawls. Upon curtailing the $2.00 malt liquor pitchers, the result: no brawls.
8)
Some places didn't understand, malt liquor isn't just ghetto beer!  It was like selling $2.00 pitchers of scotch!

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/05/06 at 4:31 am

flying zombo   
Some drink that Steve Martin offers to buy Rick Moranis in the fascinating movie "My Blue Heaven". Quote: "You know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna buy you a drink. I'm gonna buy you a flying zombo."

Whatever it is it sounds good :D I've probably had a few :)

I think you mean a "Flying Zombie".

I've had one...don't touch it unless you REALLY love tequila, and have at least 3 brands of it to use.

Written By: bj26 on 10/05/06 at 9:42 am

I think you mean a "Flying Zombie".

I've had one...don't touch it unless you REALLY love tequila, and have at least 3 brands of it to use.
That's it and it's making my mouth water, especially for that blue agave tequilla :D

Written By: spaceace on 10/05/06 at 5:10 pm

I can remember drinking "screwdrivers" we'd mix orange juice and vodka. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/occasion14.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/06/06 at 11:43 am

I can remember drinking "screwdrivers" we'd mix orange juice and vodka. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/occasion14.gif

The very first mixed drink I ever had-at the age of 13.  :o :o  My sister's boyfriend made me the drink and he slipped accidently on purpose with the vodka. Needless to say, I got drunk-and then sick.  :P

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 10/06/06 at 6:08 pm

Let me guess, you had your next drink at the age of 33?  This is why I drink at home alone!!!! :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/06/06 at 6:19 pm

Let me guess, you had your next drink at the age of 33?  This is why I drink at home alone!!!! :)

Actually, I had my next drink about a week later.  :o :o  Don't get me wrong. Yeah, I drank a lot in my youth but I hardly drink now. It has been several months since the last time I had a drink (treated my step-daughter to a fuzzy navel for her 21st birthday in July).

Edited to add that I forgot that I had a glass of wine last month, too.

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 10/06/06 at 6:24 pm

I like to drink rum and coke at home while watching movies.  I can't stand bars!  Let alone people. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/06 at 1:38 am

I like to drink rum and coke at home while watching movies.  I can't stand bars!  Let alone people. :)

Will you please capitalize "Coke" so I don't think you mean "cocaine"?
:D

Written By: Abix on 10/08/06 at 3:21 am

Sun Country Coolers
Champale
Malt Duck
Schlitz Malt Liquor
Southern Comfort and Coke
TJ Swan Magic Moments, Easy Nights, Mellow Days wine
Michelob in the little brown bottles, bought in 6 packs
Mickey's Malt Liquor
Windsor Canadian straight from the bottle to try and impress people, only to end up puking my guts out later
Sloe Gin and 7up
Tanqueray Sours
Schmidt Beer (it was cheap.. and had a laxative quality when combined with White Castle burgers)

God.. those were the days... 

Written By: robby76 on 10/08/06 at 9:53 am

Judging by the Hagar The Horrible "Skol" adverts, I'd say that was a popular 80s bevvy in the UK!

http://fisica.urbenalia.com/users/tupaka/hagar_skol.jpg

Written By: karen on 10/09/06 at 5:32 am

Judging by the Hagar The Horrible "Skol" adverts, I'd say that was a popular 80s bevvy in the UK!

http://fisica.urbenalia.com/users/tupaka/hagar_skol.jpg

No, it was just advertised a lot.  I don't know anyone who drank the stuff.

I can still sing the 'theme tune'  ;)

Written By: spaceace on 10/09/06 at 5:57 pm

Sorry Max, rum & Coke. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/06 at 8:35 pm

Sorry Max, rum & Coke. :)

I mean, it was the Wall Street drug of choice in the '80s, so.....

Written By: robby76 on 10/09/06 at 8:51 pm

I can still sing the 'theme tune'  ;)

Ha ha yeah I remember bits of it... the lyrics however often escape me... "Skol, Skol, Skol, Skol, Skol"... or something along those lines.  :D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/18/06 at 10:05 pm

Sun Country wine coolers
Fuzzy Navels
Boone's Farm Strawberry wine

I was still underage in the 80s, so I wasn't a heavy drinker naturally.  But I had a few.  Still not much of a drinker, had a wine cooler last year.  Yeah I'm pathetic.  lol

Written By: wndysbg on 11/19/06 at 7:48 pm

Fuzzy Navels
Melon Balls
Slow Comfortable Screw  (ordering is half the fun with this drink)  :D

I am one of those "wimpy" drinkers.  I like the sweet drinks - however - because they are sweet you do not realize how much alcohol you have taken in until you stand up to leave.  I still prefer might sweet drinks.  NO beer or wine for me.

Written By: Silent_Bob on 11/21/06 at 4:23 pm

Delving back into ancient history, I seem to remember drinking an awful lot of vodka and orange, I foolishly thought it made me more sophisticated than the beer swilling masses  :-[ , southern comfort and lemonade, lowenbrau german lager, holsten export & pils. I only drank Hofmeister once and it was horrible, Royal Albert Hall before my first ever New Order gig, threw up afterwards cos it was so nasty. Whatever happened to Double Diamond, more a 70s pint but I did drink 5 pints in one night in 1985.

In 1986/7 I worked in the wine trade and remember Michelob & Rolling Rock being imported. Sadly, from the time I started in the wine trade, I got so pissed tasting wine (that was my job!!!  :D :D :D) ) that I don't remember an awful lot beyond that  ;)

Written By: Abix on 11/22/06 at 11:28 pm

Sun Country wine coolers
Fuzzy Navels
Boone's Farm Strawberry wine

I was still underage in the 80s, so I wasn't a heavy drinker naturally.  But I had a few.  Still not much of a drinker, had a wine cooler last year.  Yeah I'm pathetic.  lol

I was grandfathered in . I turned 19 in 1986.. and the legal age turned to 21 in Sept 1986, here in Minnesota.. but if you were 19 before then, they allowed you to buy/consume alcohol legally. By the time I turned 21, it wasn't so fun anymore.

Written By: karen on 11/23/06 at 3:38 am

Delving back into ancient history, I seem to remember drinking an awful lot of vodka and orange,

I used to drink that a lot because it was one of the cheaper options at the student bar where I drank.  I once had a drinking competition with a bloke where we were both drinking vodka and orange.  I lost count in the end but we had at least 15 of them.

Whatever happened to Double Diamond, more a 70s pint but I did drink 5 pints in one night in 1985.

Double Diamond!  Not seen that for years.  As you say it was much more a seventies thing.  Was it brewed by Whitbread?

Written By: Gidgxx on 11/24/06 at 9:31 pm

Lets see:

I remember drinking B52's, Screw Driver, rye and cola, and a occassional beer

For those who don't know what a B52 and a Screw Driver are.

B52 :

fill shot glass

1/3 oz kahlua
1/3 oz baileys irish cream
1/3 oz cointreau

Screw Driver :

1 oz Vodka
fill orange juice

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/25/06 at 12:28 pm

Lets see:

I remember drinking B52's, Screw Driver, rye and cola, and a occassional beer

For those who don't know what a B52 and a Screw Driver are.

B52 :

fill shot glass

1/3 oz kahlua
1/3 oz baileys irish cream
1/3 oz cointreau

Screw Driver :

1 oz Vodka
fill orange juice

At one time, I was known as the "B52 Queen" and we used to do "bomb runs" ALL THE TIME.  Only we used Grand Marnier instead of cointreau.

Cat

Written By: Tiamat on 10/11/07 at 2:53 am

Bacardi Rum 151 proof, and orange juice. This was the drink of choice when we were 14 years of age. 

Check for new replies or respond here...