inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dutch Top 40 in the 1980s

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/25/06 at 4:07 pm

Here's your chance to listen to some of the most popular songs by Dutch (or Holland based) artists from the 1980s.
I've made a selection of 34 songs, nearly all of which hit the top 10 in Dutch Top 40.
I'm quite sure none of those charted elsewhere - but that doesn't mean they're not worth listening to IMHO
(well, there is the odd exception of course...)

Just click on the image below to start. I've also posted some background info on the artists and songs.

http://www.filecabin.com/members_vb/files/64582/Images/DollyDots.jpg

A LITTLE BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

01."Who let the heartache in" by Patricia Paay
Born April 7, 1949. Started her singing career in 1967, initially in Dutch, but from 1970 onward in English. From 1983 to 1987 she was one of the Star Sisters (a spin-off of the Stars on 45 project). Married to former vj Adam Curry. As a solo artist, she scored 15 Top 40 hits (1967-1983), including 4 Top 10 hits.

02. "Good lookin'" by Vitesse
Rock band, formed in 1975. 1982 was their most successful year with two Top 10 hits.

03. "I save the day" by Roberto Jacketti & the Scooters
Ska/Popband, lead singer Erik van der Hoff. Band was named after founding member Robert Jak, who left the band before their first recording. Band split up in 1990, after 8 Top 40 hits (including 2 Top 10 hits).

04. "South Africa" by Revelation Time (feat. Ruud Gullit)
A 6-man reggae band. This was their only Top 40 hit, mainly thanks to a special guest appearance by soccer hero Ruud Gullit.

05. "See you tonight" by Tower
Five piece pop/rockband. Had two Top 40 hits in 1982, never heard of since.

06. "Why tell me why" by Anita Meyer
Most successful Dutch female solo artist of the 1980s. She scored 18 Top 40 hits between 1976 and 1994, including 2 #1's.

07. "I will follow him" by Jos

Subject: Re: Dutch Top 40 in the 1980s

Written By: whistledog on 09/25/06 at 11:01 pm

Those are all awesome Henk 8)

I had no idea Max Werner was Dutch.  "Rain in May" was a minor hit in the USA.  I've got "Manhattan" by G'race on 45.  Love that song

That version of "I Will Follow Him" is awesome.  I need to download some of these. 

Gerard Joling had a modest radio hit here in Canada with a song called "No More Bolero", but it never made the singles chart so I've no idea what year it came out, but I believe it was late 80s

Loved this thread Henk.  I should do a thread like this of Canadian hits.  It's a great way to get people hooked on songs they've never heard before 8)

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/25/06 at 11:49 pm

Those are all awesome Henk 8)

Surely not all... ::)

I had no idea Max Werner was Dutch.  "Rain in May" was a minor hit in the USA.  I've got "Manhattan" by G'race on 45.  Love that song

The lyrics to "Manhattan" don't seem to make any sense however... :-\\

That version of "I Will Follow Him" is awesome.  I need to download some of these. 

It was her only #1 hit.

Gerard Joling had a modest radio hit here in Canada with a song called "No More Bolero", but it never made the singles chart so I've no idea what year it came out, but I believe it was late 80s

Must've been 1989. It was his other #1 hit in Dutch Top 40. Although he's popular, he's not had a continuous string of hits through the 1990s/2000s. Most of his songs didn't even reach Top 20.

Loved this thread Henk.  I should do a thread like this of Canadian hits.  It's a great way to get people hooked on songs they've never heard before 8)

That was indeed my intention, and I'm sure to hear from you soon. 8)

Written By: whistledog on 09/26/06 at 1:57 pm

Surely not all... ::)

There are a few weird ones, but I love weird international hits.  80s hits with extra cheese please 8)

Written By: mighty_lemon_drop on 09/26/06 at 2:52 pm

What about Clan of Xymox?? They were Dutch didn't they? and they were fabulous!

Haven't seen them on the list.  :-\\

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/26/06 at 3:40 pm

What about Clan of Xymox?? They were Dutch didn't they? and they were fabulous!

Haven't seen them on the list.  :-\\

I've never heard of a band with that name. They certainly never made it to Dutch Top 10, let alone Top 40, so that's why they're not on this list.

Written By: whistledog on 09/26/06 at 3:43 pm

I've never heard of a band with that name. They certainly never made it to Dutch Top 10, let alone Top 40, so that's why they're not on this list.

Gothic rock.  They were from the Netherlands yes, but according to Wikipedia, were a cult success

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_of_Xymox

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/26/06 at 3:48 pm

Gothic rock.  They were from the Netherlands yes, but according to Wikipedia, were a cult success

I see. I didn't know this. :-[

I guess the 1980s weren't the right era for gothic rock bands in The Netherlands (well, not from a commercial point of view anyway).

Written By: Paul on 09/26/06 at 4:40 pm

Interesting stuff, Henk...all of which never made the short distance over the North Sea... :-\\

(Barring #15. in a version by Aswad - their follow-up to 'Don't Turn Around'...also a cover!)

I...think I'll stick with my Little Peggy March version!  :P

Written By: mighty_lemon_drop on 09/26/06 at 4:44 pm

Not exactly gothic rock. They played darkwave/ebm actually, which belonged to a more industrial and techno side of gothic music.

Yes, they are a cult band, but they have lots more of fans around the world than say The Nits, who are on the list.

Gothic and industrial music had its golden era from 88-92 more or less. I think the Netherlands contributed quite a lot on this, but even more Belgium and its great EBM bands (Front 242, A Split Second, Signal Aout 42, etc). Gothic music had their most successful bands with The Cure, Depeche Mode, Sisters of Mercy, Peter Murphy, Love & Rockets....  ;)

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/26/06 at 5:01 pm

Interesting stuff, Henk...all of which never made the short distance over the North Sea... :-\\

(Barring #15. in a version by Aswad - their follow-up to 'Don't Turn Around'...also a cover!)

FYI: the Hammond & West version dates from 1986.

I...think I'll stick with my Little Peggy March version!  :P

I've no problem with that. :)

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/28/06 at 3:24 pm

I need to download some of these. 

I forgot to ask: which ones? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/06 at 9:35 pm

Clan of Xymox fan here, though their out put is spotty.  Clan of Xymox worth owning:

Clan of Xymox
Medusa
Blind Hearts/One Million Things/Scum 12" (as Xymox)
Twist of Shadows (as Xymox)
Subsequent Pleasures (early demos, released c. 1994)

I'm a little hazy on the available '80s singles, but most of the singles material has been issued on later editions of the CDs.

Avoid everything released between 1991--1993.

Clan of Xymox CDs starting with "Hidden Faces" (1997) onwards all have between 1 and 4 worthwhile tracks.

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/06 at 11:26 am

I forgot to ask: which ones? ???

I Will Follow Him - Jos

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/29/06 at 1:57 pm

I Will Follow Him - Jos

Check for new replies or respond here...