inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Seinfeld being 80s

Written By: Brendan McClelland on 10/01/06 at 7:36 pm

Does Seinfeld count as an 80s show?

Subject: Re: Seinfeld being 80s

Written By: whistledog on 10/01/06 at 8:06 pm

http://spiffy-entertainment.com/forums2/images/smiles/beatdeadhorse.gif

Written By: whistledog on 10/01/06 at 8:06 pm

oh yeah, about the question:  No

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/01/06 at 8:55 pm

Even though it started in 1989, it's definitely "Nineties" in nature (while obviously exaggerated, I think it kinda does accurately depict typical "casual" '90s lifestyles and friendships in a way - e.g. Elaine being like "one of the guys"). Although some of the technology does look a little antique and could blend in with real '80s tech, such as Jerry's cordless phone, lol.

Also, I've commonly brought this up before, but in one of the early shows, Kramer says to Jerry, "Come on, it's the '90s, it's Hammer Time!" ;D Of course, the irony is, that joke would be totally outdated even by early '93, making even the "so modern and not-Eighties at the time" atmosphere of 1991 seem pretty darn '80s a couple years later, too.

However, I think this is one of those shows that simply felt "natural" to the time it was taking place in and didn't really cater to it. In other words, it didn't really try too hard to scream "1992" or "1995", even if it may have included aspects of those years in its shows, such as the four of them hanging out at the Coffee Shop. That's why the first couple seasons don't really come across as '80s.

Written By: WalkerP20 on 10/02/06 at 4:48 am

To even imply that "Seinfeld" is an 80's show is just plain dumb.  Only 1 episode aired in the 80's (The Pilot episode aired in 1989 and every other episode aired in the 90's, all the way until 1998)

The very first episode of the show (which didn't even have Elaine in it yet, and Kramer was known as "Kessler") aired in July 1989, and then they took a full year hiatus waiting for the show to be picked up, and then they started the show (with the 2nd episode) as a Regular Weekly Program starting in May 1990

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/02/06 at 7:17 pm

http://spiffy-entertainment.com/forums2/images/smiles/beatdeadhorse.gif

LOL.  Yeah I rolled my eyes seeing this post.  It's like good lord will this ever end? You have to wonder if the poster was serious, he/she is 18, so that figures.

You know what, F' it.  Let's just go ahead and declare 1990 to 1994 or early 1995 as being 80s lite or something.  There, we'll end it.  It's over.  Debating this gets nuts.   

Written By: Brian06 on 10/02/06 at 7:42 pm

Umm no. lol.

Written By: whistledog on 10/02/06 at 8:12 pm

If you look at Brendan McClown's posts, he's done others like this.  Is Cops 80s .. Are the Simpsons 80s .. The real question is ... who cares?

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/04/06 at 12:04 am

I personally don't mind these types of threads, since I guess I've always sorta viewed stuff like this with interest (to me, it's cool to see everyone's own perception on certain things), but I can see how they'd get annoying, especially when repeated day in and day out.

Anyway, I think television especially tends to keep things current (you'll notice most shows will make fun of anything more than 2-3 years old at the time, especially anything trendy), so I never got an '80s vibe from Seinfeld. Maybe a few episodes have some "1991like" traces, but not enough to date it to that period. It's more natural.

Check for new replies or respond here...