inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cutting Crew - Poll

Written By: whistledog on 10/04/06 at 4:55 pm

Cutting Crew were a pop band formed by British singer Nick Van Eede and Canadian guitarist Kevin MacMichael.  The idea for the band came together in the early 80s at the time when Eede was in a band called The Drivers.  In 1983, they signed with a Toronto based record label and while in Canada to promote themselves, they toured with group called Fast Forward, a band featuring guitarist Kevin MacMichael

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhKvbb_8Mwo

In Canada, Tears on Your Anorak made it to #31 and the parent LP titled Short Cuts made it to #73.  Fast Forward never had any chart singles, and when both bands demised, Eede and MacMichael formed Cutting Crew in England and this was their story ...

Year 1986 1986 1986 1987 1987 1989 1989 1989 1990

Song Title (I Just) Died in Your Arms * One For the Mockingbird * I've Been in Love Before * I've Been in Love Before <remix> Any Colour (Between A) Rock and A Hard Place The Scattering Everything But My Pride The Last Thing

United Kingdom #4 #52 #31 #24 #83 #66 #96 -- --

Canada #1 #47 #8 -- -- #54 -- #72 #90

United States #1 #38#9-- -- #77-- -- --

* didn't become hits in North America until 1987

Subject: Re: Cutting Crew / The Drivers

Written By: Paul on 10/19/06 at 4:26 pm

Just my opinion, but that Drivers track is actually better than any of Cutting Crew's stuff...

Not quite sure if it ever got a release here, tho...

Heh! Before I heard 'Died In Your Arms', I did think that Cutting Crew was the name of a hip-hop band...

Written By: whistledog on 10/20/06 at 2:05 am

Just my opinion, but that Drivers track is actually better than any of Cutting Crew's stuff...

No argument here 8)

It is strange how it never became a hit in the UK.  It's quite rare for a British artist to find bigger success here in Canada than the UK.  It does happen, but not very often 

Written By: conker on 10/20/06 at 12:09 pm

I have the Short Cuts LP and the 45 for Tears on Your Anorak.
Great brit pop and I've noticed the song showing up on 80's compilation CDs lately....an over looked jem.

Written By: Simon on 10/23/06 at 5:52 am

Some further info for you.....

There were 3 Nick van Eede solo singles released in the UK in 1978/9.  1) Rock 'n' Roll Fool b/w Ounce Of Sense 2) All Or Nothing b/w Hold On To Your Heart 3) I Only Want To Be Number One b/w Dicing.  All were issued by Barn records and are pretty hard to find these days. (I'm still trying to find the 3rd one after 20 odd years!!)

There were two singles released in the UK by The Drivers.  The first, Talk All Night b/w Sister on the Greyhound label was taken from the Short Cuts LP. The second Things (the old Bobby Darin song) was released on Nouveau records and was intended to be part of a compilation album called 'Boy Meets Girl' but that never got released.  It's b-side ws Stolen Treasure from the Short Cuts LP.  Neither single made any impact on the charts, but I did hear Annie Nightingale play Talk All Night on Radio 1 once!  I have no idea why they decided to go with Talk All Night rather than Tears On Your Anorak, it always seemed to me to be a strange decision.

There was also a Drivers cassette titled 'Under The Circumstances' sold at some of their gigs in c.1984 - it featured a live Canadian radio broadcast, some demo recordings made in London and a couple of live tracks also recorded in London.

whistledog - your Broadcast pictures are the wrong way around!  The grey one on the left is the North American version.  Worth pointing out also that some of the songs on this version were remixed from the original UK/International release (the red one).

Lastly,  The Cutting Crew 'Grinning Souls' album is in actual fact a reissue!!  It was originally released in 2004 with the title Capture and the artist name not as Cutting Crew, but as Grinning Souls.  It was sold exclusively through the Grinning Souls website. Nick decided to revert to the Cutting Crew name after generating some record company interest when he appeared on an ITV 'where are they now' type show called 'Hit Me Baby One More Time'. Sadly Nick didn't win.  There were plans for a single releaase in Feb of this year, but I'm not sure it happened!

If I think of anything else, I'll add it later....

:)

Written By: whistledog on 02/18/13 at 9:53 am

I did this topic years ago, but I figured I'd turn it into a poll.

I like most of these, but my favourite has always been Everything But My Pride.  Chartwise, it was not a big hit at all, but the amount of radio play I remember it receiving, you would never think otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ZIUQW006w

Written By: warped on 02/18/13 at 9:57 am

I picked: (I Just) Died in Your Arms

Subject: Re: Cutting Crew - Poll

Written By: Dagwood on 02/18/13 at 10:00 am

Same here

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/18/13 at 6:36 pm

I don't know anything except

I-eee - I just Die-eed in your arms to-ni-eeet!
:D

Written By: Bobby on 02/18/13 at 7:03 pm

I only know '(I just) died in your arms tonight'.

Great song, awful videos...

Bland...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dOwHzCHfgA

Disorientating...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrJky8YuTr4

Written By: Howard on 02/18/13 at 7:07 pm

I picked it too, It's the only song I remember from that group.

Written By: warped on 02/18/13 at 7:11 pm

I remember more than "I just died in your arms". I also remember "I've Been in Love Before" and "Between A Rock and A Hard Place"

Check for new replies or respond here...