inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Hair Metal too "cheesy" to make a comeback?

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/06/06 at 6:19 pm

If '80s nostalgia goes chronological, it might, but I sorta doubt it truly will. I think new wave can because people respect it for being "edgy" in its own way, and being such a big part of the early MTV days. Despite its corny moments, it was groundbreaking enough, but hair metal always gets knocked for being silly, which I sorta understand (even though I like it too).

I remember reading an article in Rolling Stone in 1998 or '99 that said something to the effect of the hairbands making a slow comeback - with a few of them releasing new albums, and Poison going on a full-fledged tour. It also went on to mention how there were alot more fans and open acceptance of that type of music then just a few years earlier around the mid '90s, when it was cheese and more cheese to most people.

But it sorta stopped after that. If those bands were gonna make a comeback, I think it already would've happened. True, Bon Jovi are still reasonably popular, but they sound nothing like "Living on a Prayer" now, of course.

Subject: Re: Is Hair Metal too "cheesy" to make a comeback?

Written By: velvetoneo on 10/06/06 at 8:46 pm

I think it might have a mini-comeback towards the end of the '80s comeback crest c. 2009 or so, at the beginnings of the backlash towards femmey '00s rock.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/06/06 at 8:50 pm

I think it might have a mini-comeback towards the end of the '80s comeback crest c. 2009 or so, at the beginnings of the backlash towards femmey '00s rock.

Yeah, I agree. There might be a slight comback within the next couple of years. I also think cheesy late '80s rap(like MC Hammer for example) might make a slight comback in the late '00s as well.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/06/06 at 8:52 pm

Yeah. Do you think it'll be pretty much just the big namers like Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Motley Crue and old-school Bon Jovi? If it comes back, I could agree with it being a backlash against whiny '00s Emo rock.

That's also similar to one reason I believe the '70s came back so strong in the 1992-2003 era (and still, to a lesser extent, around now): because the '70s were so cheesy and ragged on in the '80s, then the '80s were pretty cheesy in the '90s. So, making them cool again helped erase '80s pop culture even more.

Like that old saying about "the enemy of your enemy being a friend".

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/07/06 at 12:36 pm

If anyone could bring back 80's style metal, these guys could.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-4nc4X63pY

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/07/06 at 3:05 pm

There have been a lot of "college rock" bands in the '00s who deliberately fashion themselves after 1980s Duran Duran, OMD, and New Order.  I could see the same thing happening with a whole raft of bands modeling themselves after Poison, Damn Yankees, and White Snake.  It's probably happened already.  However, this isn't "comeback" so much as "tribute" to a style.  It's like what the Stray Cats did with rockaabilly in the '80s.  Great look, great sound, inspired a slough of other bands to do the same.  Music mags like Rolling Stone were heralding the "Rockabilly Revival" in 1983.  Popular culture had changed too much for rockabilly to be much more than a schtick.  It did lead to "psychobilly," guys like Reverend Horton Heat and Flat Duo Jets, but these guys were strictly a niche market and never made the Top 40 or anything.  Same thing is happening with synth-pop bands such as Ladytron, Add N to X, and My Robot Friend.  Could be the same with neo-Hair Metal!

Written By: woops on 10/08/06 at 4:45 am

The Darkness sort of tried to bring glam rock back...

OK, but the singer's voice was too high

Check for new replies or respond here...