inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss (1988)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/09/06 at 6:21 pm

Does anyone remember this movie? They use to air it during the summertime on the Disney channel. I enjoyed watching it but for years I couldn't remember the name of it. I finally found the title (as I remembered Jerry O'Connoll was in it).

So, who remembers this one?

Subject: Re: Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss (1988)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/06 at 8:29 pm

The Ollie I remember from the '80s was Ollie North, and he didn't have no show on the Disney Channel, though that's where he belonged!  "Ollie's Playhouse" or someting!
::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/09/06 at 9:31 pm

I totally remember this movie!! It was a classic! Wasn't it supposed to be like a spin-off using the same characters as "A Christmas Story?" ??? It is him when he's a teenager...and they take a summer vacation...gosh, I wanna see this again!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/10/06 at 1:45 pm

I totally remember this movie!! It was a classic! Wasn't it supposed to be like a spin-off using the same characters as "A Christmas Story?" ??? It is him when he's a teenager...and they take a summer vacation...gosh, I wanna see this again!

Yeah, to me, it really reminded me of one of those Jean Shepherd kinda of stories. I just remember watching it whenever it came on and enjoying it. I remember the mother having some sort of obsession with roadside attractions and having to get one of those flamingos you put in your front yard. There's also one scene where Jerry O'Connoll's character has to lift a huge piece of appliance up a staircase and I just remember watching and thinking how agonizing that would be - lol  ;D

It's on video, but not DVD yet. It's a shame, but I guess it's not a priority for the studio that put it out  ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/10/06 at 1:47 pm

Yeah, to me, it really reminded me of one of those Jean Shephard kinda of stories. I just remember watching it whenever it came on and enjoying it. I remember the mother having some sort of obsession with roadside attractions and having to get one of those flamingos you put in your front yard. There's also one scene where Jerry O'Connoll's character has to lift a huge piece of appliance up a staircase and I just remember watching and thinking how agonizing that would be - lol  ;D

It's on video, but not DVD yet. It's a shame, but I guess it's not a priority for the studio that put it out  ::)

I went onto www.imdb.com and checked out the info for it....it's actually by Jean Shephard and it's supposed to be the boys as teenagers.  I checked Ebay and they have a few copies of it (VHS of course)...but they are like $30!! :o

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/10/06 at 1:57 pm

I went onto www.imdb.com and checked out the info for it....it's actually by Jean Shephard and it's supposed to be the boys as teenagers.  I checked Ebay and they have a few copies of it (VHS of course)...but they are like $30!! :o

Oh, wow, so that really is suppose to be them as teenagers. How interesting!

Here's some extra info I found on Wikipedia:

Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss was a 1988 TV movie following the family from A Christmas Story on their annual vacation to Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss, a set of cabins by a lake in Michigan. Ralph, now much older, secures a summer job moving furniture along with his friends Flick and Schwartz, thereby risking missing the family vacation. Some creative use of footage from Fritz Lang's Metropolis and an eerie nightmare scene involving a robotic refrigerator provide some entertainment there. After a small subplot involving the disappearance of the family's dog, Fuzzhead (played by the director's pet dog), the family sets off on an epic journey involving bees, windmills, seedy gas stations, and the inevitable life lessons.

It is based on one of Jean Shepherd's semi-autobiographical short stories. PBS made a series of TV movies based on the Parker family, including The Great American Fourth of July and Other Disasters, and The Phantom of the Open Hearth.

A movie sequel to A Christmas Story was My Summer Story, which follows a younger Ralphie despite having been made at a later date.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/10/06 at 2:00 pm

Here is a link that actually show's screencaps from the movie - I LOVE the person who did this!  :)

http://www.flicklives.com/Movies/Hopnoodle/movie_hopnoodle.htm

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/10/06 at 7:28 pm

Oh, wow, so that really is suppose to be them as teenagers. How interesting!

Here's some extra info I found on Wikipedia:

Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss was a 1988 TV movie following the family from A Christmas Story on their annual vacation to Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss, a set of cabins by a lake in Michigan. Ralph, now much older, secures a summer job moving furniture along with his friends Flick and Schwartz, thereby risking missing the family vacation. Some creative use of footage from Fritz Lang's Metropolis and an eerie nightmare scene involving a robotic refrigerator provide some entertainment there. After a small subplot involving the disappearance of the family's dog, Fuzzhead (played by the director's pet dog), the family sets off on an epic journey involving bees, windmills, seedy gas stations, and the inevitable life lessons.

It is based on one of Jean Shepherd's semi-autobiographical short stories. PBS made a series of TV movies based on the Parker family, including The Great American Fourth of July and Other Disasters, and The Phantom of the Open Hearth.

A movie sequel to A Christmas Story was My Summer Story, which follows a younger Ralphie despite having been made at a later date.

oh wow..I would love to see all of those sometime!

Here is a link that actually show's screencaps from the movie - I LOVE the person who did this!  :)

http://www.flicklives.com/Movies/Hopnoodle/movie_hopnoodle.htm

Man, I really wanna see this movie again!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/11/06 at 12:26 pm

oh wow..I would love to see all of those sometime!

Man, I really wanna see this movie again!

Yeah, sometimes I remember certain scenes from that movie and I feel nostalgic for it.

Check for new replies or respond here...