inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s nostalgists, what do you dislike about the 90s

Written By: TheBlackGuy.returns on 10/14/06 at 9:12 pm

It seems that every 80s notalgists I've come across hates at least one thing about the 90s.  From the lack of taste in clothes, to the "self-centered", "violent", and "indulgent" music. So what do you hate the most of the 90s and explain why.

Subject: Re: 80s nostalgists, what do you dislike about the 90s

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/14/06 at 9:22 pm

Well..they're not the '80s!

But I'm not a "nostalgist." 

What do I hate about the '90s pop-culture-wise?  First and foremost, Grunge!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/jinnwink.gif

Written By: MewMewkara on 10/15/06 at 2:58 pm

I don't like them cuz they're not the 80's, either. Plus, I don't like the music, the fashion and it was kinda dark and gloomy.

Written By: robby76 on 10/15/06 at 10:08 pm

It's mainly 93-97 that I hate pop-culturally. Mens hair was atrocious, womens make up was pale with bright red lipstick, I hated any cheesy euro-house hit, loathed gangster rap and kids cartoons were on the decline. Grunge wasn't too in my face so I could take it or leave it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/16/06 at 12:46 am

I remember "House Music" getting trendy in '88 and all the slick trendmonger mags, ahem, raving about it.  Then I'd hear it on the college radio stations and was like, "Jeezus, this sh*t's inane!  It makes Giorgio Moroder look like Wagner!"  You didn't even have to have the rhythmic talent the rappers had, all you needed was a drum machine and a sampler and it was cut 'n' paste from there!
::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/16/06 at 3:41 pm

It seems that every 80s notalgists I've come across hates at least one thing about the 90s.  From the lack of taste in clothes, to the "self-centered", "violent", and "indulgent" music. So what do you hate the most of the 90s and explain why.

Yeah, I'd say that's part of it. Also the huge hip-hop dominance over pop culture is what I've heard. During the '90s itself, especially towards the late '90s as I started getting older and into high school, I'll admit I sort of despised the '90s not so much for what they were, but simply because "they weren't the '80s". I'm sure that's how other people felt, too.

Despite my lifelong love of the '80s, I admit one thing that bothers me a little is when some people lump everything after 1991 as exactly the same, or they claim it was all about rap and grunge, which of course, isn't true (even if those genres have been a big part of what was popular. Rap started passing rock around 1995).

Like I've said though, I love both the '80s and the '90s (my "home time" in terms of experience is about 1984/85-1996), so it's kinda annoying to me when people love one and hate the other. ;)

Written By: Brian06 on 10/16/06 at 4:21 pm

As I've said before, Grunge was not really big on the radio, not too many grunge songs in the higher parts of the hot 100. Grunge was the rock trend of the '90s, but it was not a top 40 thing. What was big on the radio was r&b/pop ballads, alt-pop, dance.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/16/06 at 4:31 pm

Urban music was already the dominant force on the radio in 1993, here's a top 20 from October 1993. At least half of these songs are urban.

1. Dreamlover- Mariah Carey
2. Just Kickin' It- XScape
3. I'd Do Anything for Love- Meatloaf
4. All That She Want's- Ace of Base
5. The River of Dreams- Billy Joel
6. Right Here- SWV
7. Whoomp! There it is- Tag Team
8. Hey Mr. DJ- Zhane
9. If- Janet Jackson
10. Anniversary- Tony Toni Tone
11. Another Sad Love Song- Toni Braxton
12. Two Steps Behind- Def Leppard
13. What is Love- Haddaway
14. Cryin- Aerosmith
15. Again- Janet Jackson
16. I Get Around- Tupac
17. Sweat- Inner Circle
18. Can't Help Falling In Love- UB40
19. Reason to Believe- Rod Stewart
20. Baby I'm Yours- Shai

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/16/06 at 4:37 pm

As I've said before, Grunge was not really big on the radio, not too many grunge songs in the higher parts of the hot 100. Grunge was the rock trend of the '90s, but it was not a top 40 thing. What was big on the radio was r&b/pop ballads, alt-pop, dance.

Yeah, Grunge was just as much about general attitude and fashion as it was about music (even if the songs weren't that popular on Top 40 radio, their impact still made them a big part of the 1991-'96 '90s).

Written By: velvetoneo on 10/16/06 at 4:50 pm

I wasn't alive in the '80s, but I'm an "'80s music aficionado", so I'll try and answer this question. I dislike that the '90s, quite honestly, saw the death of decent mainstream pop music, and to a degree, of musical diversity. I dislike gangsta rap and the sociocultural values it perpetuated. I think Quentin Tarantino, despite Pulp Fiction being excellent, spawned a genre of hip "music video" imitator movies that we're still shaking off. Of course, there were things about 1994 that were better than 1984. Clinton was president, whereas Reagan was the devil. TV was better by about 100 times, and there was stuff like Tori Amos out there that wasn't around in the '80s, and the fashion was nice and casual.

Written By: lizjagger on 10/16/06 at 6:05 pm

I didn't like the music ..anything after 1992 sucked.any trace of the 80s was non existent at that point. And I didn't like  the atmosphere off the mid to late 90s. I have a couple of good memories of 98 and 99 but that was because of some friends from high school and the pre-millenium craze.

Written By: Chasey on 10/17/06 at 6:28 am

I don't hate the 90's, indeed I think from 1990-1995 there was some excellent music.  The Eurodance movement was great, the Happy Mondays baggy-brigade was an excellent but short-lived interlude, and the Techno era was rather amusing.

OK, so grunge was big, but lest we forget that the 80's also had it's fair share of alternative music.

One thing I really didn't like about the 90's was that it just seemed to lack that overall sense of fun that the 80's had.  You couldn't wear anything loud, bright or outdated for fear of stern criticism from the fashion police....in the end it just became a somewhat conformist and drab.

The 80's were just crazy, and that's what I missed about the 90's!

Written By: Doc Brown on 10/19/06 at 10:28 pm

Gosh, where do I begin?

I guess I could start with the President who never spoke a word of truth(until he was caught lying), and did nothing for anyone in the country except whatever ugly girl he was hiding in the closet(or under the desk!).

And of course, since the President had no morals, neither did most of the public. Every show on Must-See-TV introduced after Cheers left the air was about a pack of stupid and/or self-absorbed people who would never be pals in real life. Each character seemed to fall into one of a small number of categories. And I'll use Friends as an example:
The Slut(Rachel), The Manipulator(Monica), The Freak(Phoebe),
The Idiot(Joey), The Wiseguy(Chandler), and The Loser(Ross)
Not every show had them all, but 9 out of 10 MSTV shows had a combination of them, none of them plausible.

Worst of all might have been the distortion of sexual reality. If the kind of bedhopping seen on 90210, Melrose Place, etc. went on outside the TV, the U.S. would need a VD clinic on every street corner, and 9 out of every 10 people who've ever dumped someone would've been shot or stabbed to death by now. And to this day I'd like to beat it into the heads of some sitcom writers that not every third person you meet in the world wants to jump into bed with someone of the same sex! Most of us out here are intelligent, straight, and have morals.

This is the Clinton legacy, and I despise it: A media (and an amoral fringe group that it glorifies) that assumes they can get away with everything!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Haman on 10/21/06 at 12:51 pm

So what do you hate the most of the 90s and explain why.

I do not hate the nineties. I simply acknowledge that that decade presented a change in tendencies, and that I find the 80's more pleasant and inspirational in some areas.

Written By: Lindee on 10/23/06 at 9:38 am

Bad fashion and bad music.

Written By: Haman on 05/22/07 at 3:49 pm

(...)Worst of all might have been the sexual distortion of reality. If the kind of bedhopping seen on 90210, Melrose Place, etc. went on outside the TV, the U.S. would need a VD clinic on every street corner, and 9 out of every 10 people who've ever dumped someone would've been shot or stabbed to death by now. And to this day I'd like to beat it into the heads of some sitcom writers that not every third person you meet in the world wants to jump into bed with someone of the same sex! Most of us out here are intelligent, straight, and have morals.

This is the Clinton legacy, and I despise it: A media (and an amoral fringe group that it glorifies) that assumes they can get away with everything!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Now THAT is a statement! Well said, Doc!

Sadly, the TV of today is getting even worse and its indoctrination is twisting our youth more than ever before.

A lot of teenagers are convinced that if their love relationships are going poorly the solution is to become homosexuals!

Written By: LittleMissUsername on 05/22/07 at 4:28 pm

I hated that my carefree life style had to end.

I went to collage and had to work.

I had to be 'normal'  and make money to pay for my crappy apartment.

I Hated the Gulf War  for taking my boyfriend away.

I hated flannel.

The music was  just ok.

Written By: Doc Brown on 05/22/07 at 4:38 pm

Now THAT is a statement! Well said, Doc!
Sadly, the TV of today is getting even worse and its indoctrination is twisting our youth more than ever before.
A lot of teenagers are convinced that if their love relationships are going poorly the solution is to become homosexuals!

Thank you, HC. That little anecdote at the end sounds like it came right out of an episode of Seinfeld! George(the loser) caught a woman he was dumped by having a fling with another woman, and he blamed himself for turning her to the dark side, so to speak. But later he found her dating Kramer(the freak), and he pronounced, "I drive'em... he brings'em back!". It's hard to think of anything as stupid as that, outside of so-called "Reality TV". But then, in 2003 the sitcom Two And A Half Men, while very funny, began with a morally bankrupt woman(Judith) lying about discovering she was homosexual to make an easy path out of her marriage! Which is why poor, honest Alan(and Jake, part-time) wound up being thrown out of his home and forced to move in with Charlie! But sadly, there's far more to my statement than what you quoted...

I recently caught an anti-Bush sticker on a stranger's bumper that stated, No One Died When Clinton Lied. Everyone who knows anything about the 90's knows this is
HORSECRAP! If Clinton had been doing his job and sending our military (or at least our intelligence services) after Osama in 1997-98-99 when he was only a minor threat, 9-11 probably would never have happened. But instead the lascivious clown was spending all his time getting it on with the infamous intern, then alternately denying and defending his despicable actions. Clinton's sexual shenanigans, combined with his dishonesty, in the end, cost the lives of over 3,000 innocent people. And Carter just called George W. the worst president in history?!?!? I have lost nearly all respect for that one-term fool! Maybe being a Democrat he can't help it, but if he weren't they should revoke his Nobel Prize! >:(

Don't forget what I've posted here before you even THINK of voting for Hilary!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: bastid5150 on 05/24/07 at 3:06 pm

one word...NIRVANA  >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/07 at 8:55 pm

I recently caught an anti-Bush sticker on a stranger's bumper that stated, No One Died When Clinton Lied. Everyone who knows anything about the 90's knows this is
HORSECRAP! If Clinton had been doing his job and sending our military (or at least our intelligence services) after Osama in 1997-98-99 when he was only a minor threat, 9-11 probably would never have happened.
^ HORSECRAP!
Want more?  Take it to the politics board.

This is nothing new.  The difference is homosexuality is no longer considered a psychiatric disorder.  It is open and accepted, and in some circles it is celebrated.  As in previous eras, young people might be bi-curious or gay-curious, but if they are not truly "homosexual" or "bisexual" they generally phase out of the curiosity factor by their late 20s.  Perhaps they are more likely to "experiment" now that the lifestyle isn't subject to so much persecution.  However, provided they are careful, homosexual experimentation is no more risky than heterosexual experimentation.  Yeah, a lot of heterosexuals find their relationships go poorly.  You know who else finds similar problems?  Homosexuals.
I see the problems with commitment nowadays as being part of the overall culture of narcisissism and selfishness pushed primarily by television.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/07 at 9:15 pm

I hated that my carefree life style had to end.

I went to collage and had to work.

I had to be 'normal'  and make money to pay for my crappy apartment.

I Hated the Gulf War  for taking my boyfriend away.

I hated flannel.

The music was  just ok.

I sympathize.  I had no personal ties to the Gulf War, mind you.

I mentioned in another thread, my psychiatric illness set in in my teen years of the 1980s.

I had to hear the warnings of teachers, guidance counselors, and the half-azzed therapists I went to regarding what would happen if I didn't:
Get good grades.
Get a good SAT score
Get into a good college
Get a good "career plan."
What they didn't understand---what I didn't understand myself---was I would have done all these things had I been able.  One of the worst things about dysthymia (+ major depressive episodes,with ADD/anxiety factors) is that to others and yourself  it seems like everything would be find if you'd just get cracking and snap out of it.  It's not like schizophrenia or bipolarity where the individual's behavior is obviously out of control or wrapped up in delusions.  You just appear to be a slacker who won't take personal responsibility.  But...that's not true.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysthymia

So that was the '80s.
In the early '90s, the stressors of adulthood--after a youth bereft of achievment--were like a fists in the face over and over.
Panic attacks.  Depersonalization. Rage. Alienation. Paranoia. Hyperesthesia. Anhedonia.
Basic atmospheres of the early '90s for me.
::)

Written By: retrobaby87 on 07/20/07 at 2:26 am

The TV

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/20/07 at 9:20 pm

Not a big grunge fan.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/20/07 at 9:28 pm

The TV

That's interesting. Even though I prefer '80s music, I think television was one of the stronger points of the '90s. It seemed to be more diverse in its options. I really liked alot of the sitcoms, as well as semi reality shows like Unsolved Mysteries and Rescue 911 with recreations of events.

The '80s seemed kinda like a dead period for TV, at least until c. 1987 when sitcoms started getting popular again, or shows like The Simpsons at the very end of the decade.

Written By: robby76 on 07/20/07 at 11:33 pm

The '80s seemed kinda like a dead period for TV, at least until c. 1987 when sitcoms started getting popular again, or shows like The Simpsons at the very end of the decade.

What about A-team, Knight Rider, Automan, V... all great shows with great concepts. Nothing run of the mill there. Plus cartoon wise, the 80s are unmatched with Thundercats, HeMan, GI Joe, Transformers. Then you had big sitcoms like Cosby Show and Golden Girls.

The 90s seemed a lot "safer" for tv. No-one took wild chances like they did in the 80s with way-out concepts that got your imagination going.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/20/07 at 11:43 pm

What about A-team, Knight Rider, Automan, V... all great shows with great concepts. Nothing run of the mill there. Plus cartoon wise, the 80s are unmatched with Thundercats, HeMan, GI Joe, Transformers. Then you had big sitcoms like Cosby Show and Golden Girls.

The 90s seemed a lot "safer" for tv. No-one took wild chances like they did in the 80s with way-out concepts that got your imagination going.

Oh, I don't doubt there were good things to watch at the time. I do like alot of the late '80s shows like Full House and Growing Pains, but I think my personal perception has something to do with the fact that TV and movies reflect more on different aspects of real life. On the other hand, music seems to be the one of the most universally enjoyable things - I guess 'cause all you have to do is hear it or like the melodies, lol.

So back then (and in the time since), while I might've liked songs on the radio or on albums, I didn't really interact with people or experience life as much. Yes, I have an excellent memory for the most part, but truthfully, I didn't start getting a really good grasp on pop culture until about late 1990 or early 1991 (I started a new school then, right after I turned 9). This is why I probably relate more to Nineties TV.

I guess I'll put it like this - I'd rather live in 1995, but be listening to 1985 music. ;)

That all being said, I do like '80s movies quite a bit too. Although most of those I was introduced to in the early-mid '90s.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/21/07 at 11:41 pm

To me, the 80's was so much more fun than the 90's, especially the music, television, movies, and fashion. There are some things I like about the 90's (certain music and movies) but it just wasn't the colorful decade the 80's was.

Written By: dodgeboy on 07/30/07 at 1:56 pm

The 80s was the transition from the old times to the modern era, but still, the TV shows and many other things in the 80s were so much better than the 90s and beyond. I loved the action in the 80s shows such as The A Team and many others. By the time the 1990s started, I have pretty much stopped watching TV cuz most of the shows were a joke!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/30/07 at 1:59 pm

I dislike that I had to be born in January 1990!

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/30/07 at 1:59 pm

Sorry, but that's the one thing I guess I'll have to permanently agree to disagree on. ;) To nitpick it, 1987 to 2001 was probably the extended era of "Nineties TV", and that was the best. You can't deny that the more intelligent/laid back sitcoms as well as kids' shows were much, much better then compared to now. Same with movies.

Even though I do love '80s music, I think the better '90s stuff is quite underappreciated (like anyone born before 1973 seems to generally have a disliking for it, lumping it all together as "crap", etc).

For the point of discussion since we're already on the topic, I just wondered....do Generation Xers or just general fans of "pure eighties" stuff (1982/'83-1988 pop like Michael Jackson, peak Phil Collins, new wave, Madonna, Van Halen and Lionel Richie) also like the fringe stuff from the very end of the decade around 1989 or 1990? In other words, do you guys tend to lump "U Can't Touch This", "King of Wishful Thinking" or Paula Abdul in with stereotypical Nineties music, or is that sorta the last wave of things you enjoy too?

In some ways, that's my favorite era because it's got elements of both (like 1989-1992 or early '93).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/30/07 at 2:02 pm

Sorry, but that's the one thing I guess I'll have to permanently agree to disagree on. ;) To nitpick it, 1987 to 2001 was probably the extended era of "Nineties TV", and that was the best. You can't deny that the more intelligent/laid back sitcoms as well as kids' shows were much, much better then compared to now. Same with movies.

Even though I do love '80s music, I think the '90s is underappreciated (like anyone born before 1973 seems to generally hate it).

I agree, I think 80s TV sucked for the most part until the late 80s. There's some good shows from before 1987, but not a lot. The 80s are about equally good as the 00s for TV, maybe a little better. The 90s were the best age for TV, maybe because they were the last decade where TVs were bigger than computers?

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/30/07 at 2:13 pm

^ Yeah, it didn't start turning around until Growing Pains, but it was very hit or miss. Movies were pretty good in the early-mid '80s, though.

Check for new replies or respond here...