inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: HELP! Want to find a game ...

Written By: Brett on 10/17/06 at 12:26 am

I saw mention of the old "Alice in Wonderland" game for the Apple from way back when and was wondering if it's the one I've been looking for forever.  Way back in elementary school (late 80's/early 90's) we played this "Alice in Wonderland" game in computer class.  I remember it being on those real big floppy disks, and it was for the old Apple computers. 
I've been looking for this game FOREVER and was wondering if anyone had any idea how I could find it.
If anyone knows, I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks!!  :)

Subject: Re: HELP! Want to find a game ...

Written By: Mushroom on 10/17/06 at 11:16 am

I think I know the one you are talking about.

Was it a kind of semi-graphical text game?  Where it would tell you several passages from the story, and you have to give a response?  And depending on how you responded, it would take you to another segment?  It was not the "free form" text game typical of most, but instead was much more linear in it's approach to the game and story.

There was a small company that made a series of these games in the early 1980's.  I know they also made one for Mutiny On The Bounty, and a few others.  If these are the ones you are thinking of, you may be outta luck.  I worked at a CompuLand at the time, and they were all made by a small computer company in California.  That company dissapeared around 1983, and I have been unable to find any of their games.

You might try looking on Google for Apple II Emulators.  A lot of the sites dedicated to software for Apple II have a lot of games for download.

Written By: pell on 10/21/06 at 11:19 pm

Or maybe this:
http://mac.the-underdogs.info/index.php?show=game&id=449

It's for a game called Alice (Through the Looking Glass) and is supposedly about dodging chess pieces or something. The site is Macintosh Garden, dedicated to abandonware games for the Mac. Note that though abandonware downloads are technically violations of copyright, it is assumed that since the games are long out of production that the publishers just don't care anymore.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/19/11 at 10:26 pm

I saw mention of the old "Alice in Wonderland" game for the Apple from way back when and was wondering if it's the one I've been looking for forever.  Way back in elementary school (late 80's/early 90's) we played this "Alice in Wonderland" game in computer class.  I remember it being on those real big floppy disks, and it was for the old Apple computers. 

Big 5.25" floppy disks?  Pre-Macintosh Apples?  Yeah, we may be five years late, but we got your back.

You're after Wyndham Classics, Alice in Wonderland, 1985, for the Apple ]Below the Root, which stands up pretty nicely (at least as far as storyline goes) even today.  (Walkthrough)

Check for new replies or respond here...