inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I need help with 80s style... ITS FOR SCHOOL!

Written By: spartan01 on 10/25/06 at 2:13 pm

Alright, this may seem like an odd request but...

This week is "Spirit Week" at my High School and we are supposed to dress up in a different theme every day. Tomorrow (Thursday) is "Throwback Thursday"... we are supposed to dress in styles from the 50s-80s.. I was thinking of doing 80s... I don't have much clothes to choose from though... I have jeans, polo shirts, and T shirts... with just regular Reebok sneakers.. nothing 80s-ish.... is there anyone here who can help me??

Subject: Re: I need help with 80s style... ITS FOR SCHOOL!

Written By: La Roche on 10/25/06 at 2:21 pm

Alright, this may seem like an odd request but...

This week is "Spirit Week" at my High School and we are supposed to dress up in a different theme every day. Tomorrow (Thursday) is "Throwback Thursday"... we are supposed to dress in styles from the 50s-80s.. I was thinking of doing 80s... I don't have much clothes to choose from though... I have jeans, polo shirts, and T shirts... with just regular Reebok sneakers.. nothing 80s-ish.... is there anyone here who can help me??

Cut some big ass holes in your jeans, knee hole jeans.

Errr... how tight can you wear a t-shirt? I'm thinking the sleaze motley crue look.

Written By: spartan01 on 10/25/06 at 5:49 pm

I don't have very tight T shirts

Written By: La Roche on 10/26/06 at 4:15 am

I don't have very tight T shirts

Got any younger siblings?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/26/06 at 4:52 am

Spartan-

3 Vital Things Needed For The Proper '80s Styled Look:

1. Glow Bracelets (Guys wore them, too...trust me)
2. Any T-Shirt with an '80s band On It (If no '80s Bands, any will do just fine)
3. The Mullet Hairstyle, or a feathered back Pompadour

Written By: spaceace on 10/26/06 at 9:01 am

If I were you I would get ahold of a copy of "The Preppy Handbook"  if you're of the "pycho-prep" persuasion.  Davey's suggestion was quite appropriate.  (You forgot to mention the leather jacket with the fringes ;))  GOOD LUCK! :)

Written By: La Roche on 10/26/06 at 9:07 am

If I were you I would get ahold of a copy of "The Preppy Handbook"  if you're of the "pycho-prep" persuasion.  Davey's suggestion was quite appropriate.  (You forgot to mention the leather jacket with the fringes ;))  GOOD LUCK! :)

And the faux snakeskin boots.

Written By: spaceace on 10/26/06 at 9:14 am

Oh yes, how could I have forgotten those?  And the one dangling earring. :)

Written By: La Roche on 10/26/06 at 9:19 am

Oh yes, how could I have forgotten those?  And the one dangling earring. :)

Right, plus the black plastic crappy looking sunglasses.

Written By: spaceace on 10/26/06 at 9:26 am

Of course.  And we must not forget the ever popular bandanna around the leg.  :)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/27/06 at 11:30 am

Or, if you're the "preppy" type, you need the obligatory funky suit jacket, metallic colored shirt, and skinny piano-print tie, along with a pair of Vans with the small hole in the toe.

Written By: spaceace on 10/27/06 at 4:16 pm

If he's going "Preppy".  I was thinking a white oxford, one of those thin ties (losely tied, of course) jeans and eithers Vans or Converse. :) 8)

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/27/06 at 5:42 pm

If he's going "Preppy".  I was thinking a white oxford, one of those thin ties (losely tied, of course) jeans and eithers Vans or Converse. :) 8)

Or, if you're the "preppy" type, you need the obligatory funky suit jacket, metallic colored shirt, and skinny piano-print tie, along with a pair of Vans with the small hole in the toe.

You're both wrong...guys gotta have polos (layered in pastel colors)with the collars turned up.  Pleated front chinos.  Penny loafer or deck shoes.  If you've got a navy sweater, tie it around your neck.

Written By: spaceace on 10/29/06 at 11:44 am

OMG you are such a "Prep"!!!  Don't forget the Swatch!! :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/01/06 at 9:18 pm

It would be a good idea to wear a Swatch.

Written By: Marian on 11/04/06 at 4:17 pm

A bif top with shoulder pads and/or/falling off one shoulder,leggings,jelly shoes,big teased hair with a butterfly clip,headband,big earrings and other jewelry,wide belt,lots of makeup,fingerless gloves,and leg warmers.

Written By: spaceace on 11/05/06 at 12:20 pm

Most of that stuff should either be pastels of fluorescent colors. ;)

Written By: Abix on 11/05/06 at 3:18 pm

get an oversized sweatshirt preferably in a dayglo color like lime or fuschia or orange, and tear out the collar and cut it so that the shoulders hang off your shoulders ala flash dance... a muscle tank top under the sweatshirt in a contrasting color but also dayglo or else plain white or black. black leggings with some sort of scrunchy socks in flourescent colors. and white keds tennis shoes..with flourescent laces. rat your hair and tie some torn up lace doilies in it.

if you're a guy.. get some tight 501 Levis button fly jeans. faded or acid washed...  with some holes in the knees.. a rock tshirt ala Motley Crue, Scorpions, Def Leppard, Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden, with a plaid flannel button down shirt unbuttoned of course, and some 'shi tkicker' boots or Nike Leather cortez tennis shoes. a black leather biker jacket a dangly cross earring, and rat your hair so that it has that big 80's hairband look to it.

Written By: Abix on 11/05/06 at 3:20 pm

And the faux snakeskin boots.

or boots with fringes too.

Check for new replies or respond here...