inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: VH1's "100 Greatest Songs of the 80's"

Written By: WalkerP20 on 10/30/06 at 8:26 pm

New Series on VH1 right now called the "100 Greatest Songs of the 80's" counting down from 100 to 1 in five seperate episodes

It's on VH1 right now, but if you missed any of it, you can watch it from the beginning on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday

Subject: Re: VH1's "100 Greatest Songs of the 80's"

Written By: woops on 10/30/06 at 8:32 pm

Can't wait... though I rather much watch music videos

Atleast one of the most underrated pop singer/songwriters of all time is on the list  8)

Written By: WalkerP20 on 10/30/06 at 8:53 pm

Here is the list so far from the 1st episode (100 through 81)

100. Loverboy / "Working for the Weekend"

99. Wang Chung / "Everybody Have Fun Tonight"

98. Bobby Brown / "My Perogative"

97. The Romantics / "What I Like About You"

96. Men at Work / "Down Under"

95. Debbie Gibson / "Only in My Dreams"

94. The Rolling Stones / "Start Me Up"

93. Gary Numan / "Cars"

92. New Kids on the Block / "You Got It (The Right Stuff)"

91. Katrina and The Waves / "Walking On Sunshine"

90. Tone-Loc / "Wild Thing"

89. The Pretenders / "Brass in Pocket"

88. Chaka Khan / "Ain't Nobody"

87. Falco / "Rock Me Amadeus"

86. Bow Wow Wow / "I Want Candy"

85. Robert Palmer / "Addicted to Love"

84. Lionel Richie / "All Night Long (All Night)"

83. Prince / "Kiss"

82. Squeeze / "Tempted"

81. Cameo / "Word Up!"

Written By: woops on 10/30/06 at 10:50 pm

Second batch...  8)

Though "Mr. Roboto" should be replaced with "Too Much Time On My Hand" ...

100 Greatest 80's Songs #80-61

61. Styx / "Mr. Roboto"
62. Berlin / "Take My Breath Away"
63. Devo / "Whip It"
64. Paula Abdul / "Straight Up"
65. Foreigner / "I Want to Know What Love Is"
66. Depeche Mode / "Just Can't Get Enough"
67. REO Speedwagon / "Keep On Loving You"
68. Public Enemy / "Fight the Power"
69. R.E.M / "It's The End of the World As We Know It (and I Feel Fine)"
70. Joan Jett & The Blackhearts/ "I Love Rock N' Roll"
71. Rick James / "Super Freak"
72. The Fixx / "One Thing Leads to Another"
73. Nena / "99 Luftbaloons"
74. George Michael / "Faith"
75. Prince / "Little Red Corvette"
76. Thomas Dolby / "She Blinded Me With Science"
77. New Edition / "Candy Girl"
78. Blondie / "Call Me"
79. Human League / "Don't You Want Me?"
80. Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock / "It Takes Two" 

Written By: woops on 10/31/06 at 9:43 pm

Third episode: #60 to 41...

Only if they were to air the videos...

41. Motley Crue / "Dr. Feelgood"
42. The Clash / "London Calling"
43. ABC / "Look of Love (Part One)"
44. Bananarama / "Cruel Summer"
45. Janet Jackson / "Nasty"
46. The Police / "Every Breath You Take"
47. Twisted Sister / "We're Not Gonna Take It"
48. Bruce Springsteen / "Born in the U.S.A."
49. Beastie Boys / "Fight For Your Right"
50. Eurythmics / "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)"
51. Ratt / "Round and Round"
52. Dead or Alive / "You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)"
53. Billy Idol / "White Wedding"
54. Salt-N-Pepa / "Push It"
55. A Flock of Seagulls / "I Ran (So Far Away)"
56. Bonnie Tyler / "Total Eclipse of the Heart"
57. Toni Basil / "Mickey"
58. Culture Club / "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me"
59. John Mellencamp / "Jack & Diane"
60. Young M.C. / "Bust a Move"

Written By: WalkerP20 on 10/31/06 at 10:09 pm

Third episode: #60 to 41...

Only if they were to air the videos...

If they aired the entire videos, the show would take hours.

Plus, I like how they do it, they give a description of the song/video and then talk about it for a couple minutes and then talk about where the artists are today

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/31/06 at 10:10 pm

I saw the whole thing from start to finish, last night on VH1 Classic.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/01/06 at 12:34 am

Atleast one of the most underrated pop singer/songwriters of all time is on the list  8)

Tiffany's on the list? Excellent!  8)

Written By: woops on 11/01/06 at 1:57 am

Here's a spoiler...

Let's say there's many omission from the list and a few suprises...

Written By: WalkerP20 on 11/01/06 at 9:37 am

Why do they have U2's "With Or Without You" listed as a 1984 song??  It was released on the "Joshua Tree" which came out in like Late 1986/Early 1987, and the song itself reached #1 in May 1987

VH1 has gotten alot of the years wrong on these songs.  Shame on them

Written By: WalkerP20 on 11/01/06 at 1:08 pm

A couple of songs that i'm surprised didn't even make the list...

"Sexual Healing" by Marvin Gaye

"Another One Bites The Dust" by Queen

"Eye Of The Tiger" by Survivor

"Another Brick In The Wall Pt. II" by Pink Floyd

"Maneater" by Hall & Oates

"Thriller" by Michael Jackson

"Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2

"Centerfold" by J. Geils Band

"Rock You Like A Hurricane" by Scorpions

"Rockit" by Herbie Hancock

"Purple Rain" by Prince

I'm also surprised that such a horrible song like "Walk Like An Egyption" by The Bangles is #14 (Right above "Jump" by Van Halen)  :o

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/01/06 at 8:58 pm

A couple of songs that i'm surprised didn't even make the list...

"Sexual Healing" by Marvin Gaye

"Another One Bites The Dust" by Queen

"Eye Of The Tiger" by Survivor

"Another Brick In The Wall Pt. II" by Pink Floyd

"Maneater" by Hall & Oates

"Thriller" by Michael Jackson

"Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2

"Centerfold" by J. Geils Band

"Rock You Like A Hurricane" by Scorpions

"Rockit" by Herbie Hancock

"Purple Rain" by Prince

I'm also surprised that such a horrible song like "Walk Like An Egyption" by The Bangles is #14 (Right above "Jump" by Van Halen)  :o

You must realize that viewers chose the songs, not VH1 and maybe they were going for the impact. "Thriller" was known more for its video than the song itself. Prince has a couple of his songs on there, so it doesn't hurt to not have "Purple Rain" listed.

Written By: WalkerP20 on 11/02/06 at 11:49 am

You must realize that viewers chose the songs, not VH1 and maybe they were going for the impact. "Thriller" was known more for its video than the song itself. Prince has a couple of his songs on there, so it doesn't hurt to not have "Purple Rain" listed.

I know that the viewers chose the songs.  I'm just worried that the viewers are so dumb

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/02/06 at 12:35 pm

I know that the viewers chose the songs.  I'm just worried that the viewers are so dumb

Who cares if the viewers don't pick the right songs?  This is hardly something of extreme importance.

Written By: Ed216 on 11/03/06 at 2:39 pm

I have problems with most of the list. I'll give just one example though:

I'm shocked that Cameo's Word Up even made the list. It's not only one of the worst songs of the 80s, but one of the worst songs of all time. The "lead singer" couldn't even sing. The music was awful. The whole song just sucks. OK, so I really really hate that song! If I ever hear it on the radio, I immediately change the station. I never want to hear it again.

Written By: zcrito on 11/03/06 at 9:54 pm

Who cares if the viewers don't pick the right songs?  This is hardly something of extreme importance.

"This is hardly something of extreme importance."

Really? It tells me a good number of people in this country will be voting on Tuesday and some of them wouldn't know a good '80s song if it bit them in the ass. People like that shouldn't be allowed to vote!

I saw the complete list 1-100, and most are songs I just as soon never hear again. The "best of" songs lists we come up here on this Web site are a heck of a lot better. So many good '80s songs a missin'. It's a shame.

Let's see, it looks like 24 good songs out of 100 (or 24%), that's not very good. No, not good at all.

:(

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/03/06 at 10:33 pm

The viewers, including myself, are by no means dumb (especially considering that I'm working on my Ph.D as we speak, lol). We picked songs that had meaning to us in the 80s and that may have been tied to a particular event or defining event at the time of the song's release. It's that simple. It's not supposed to be as deep as you are making it out to be.

Really? It tells me a good number of people in this country will be voting on Tuesday and some of them wouldn't know a good '80s song if it bit them in the ass. People like that shouldn't be allowed to vote!

I saw the complete list 1-100, and most are songs I just as soon never hear again. The "best of" songs lists we come up here on this Web site are a heck of a lot better. So many good '80s songs a missin'. It's a shame.

Let's see, it looks like 24 good songs out of 100 (or 24%), that's not very good. No, not good at all.

Are you seriously comparing a political election to a VH1 music election? Craziness!  ???

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/04/06 at 12:34 am

Everyone's got different opinions on what kind of music they favor. Doesn't mean one is better than the other. Personally I tend to like arena rock and polished soft rock/pop rock, so if it were me choosing, you'd see alot of Phil Collins, Hall and Oates, Foreigner and stuff like that. I would've probably put "Take Me Home Tonight" by Eddie Money as my #1.

One thing I did notice about the countdown was that it was leaning slightly heavier on metal (well hair metal) and old school rap/dance type music than I expected. Anytime I've seen any '80s music list (I'm talking every one, it's just so predictable), there's never even any wonder in my mind, I just know there's gonna be a Michael Jackson song at #1, and tons of MJ and Madonna in the Top 10.

So I was kinda surprised to see "Living on a Prayer" as #1, but I love that one (hair metal or not ;) ), so I'm not complaining. Hey, I like "Billie Jean" and "Thriller" as much as the next person, but it was actually a nice breath of fresh air to not have one of them at the top spot.

P.S. Did anyone else think that Larry dude from Cameo was a little cocky about his own music? Aside from the regular list, watch the outtakes at VSpot. Every single time he was asked about '80s music in general, he made "Word Up" and his band sound way bigger than it really was (by no means is it a bad song, but certainly it's not as memorable with the masses as something like "Billie Jean").

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/04/06 at 1:00 am

Gary Numan's "Cars" is from 1979 ! Not in the '80s.

I was sorely disappointed with the top ten.

VERY disappointed.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/04/06 at 1:08 am

Close enough.  :P

I'm guessing it peaked in early '80 or something, plus you've gotta admit, it resembled new wave of the Eighties alot more than Seventies pop. But hey, that whole 1978/'79-1983 era is transitional.

VERY disappointed.

"Living on a Prayer" was a great song, though. ;)

BTW, if there was anything I was disappointed by, it was realizing how much "older" some of the stars look today. That's to be expected (the '80s don't seem that long ago, but they were awhile when you think about it), but it's still kinda sad. Especially when they look even older than a few years ago.

For instance, I have this 5 part series about the '80s they aired in 1998 or '99. I was so used to thinking of that as their "updated" look. I thought Pat Benatar looked even better/hotter than in her c. 1982 heyday. She still looks good for her age, but it's a noticeable difference from the late '90s.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/04/06 at 1:13 am

What in the name of God........?

It's a stupid poll about 80s music!  You're taking this far too seriously.

Written By: woops on 11/04/06 at 1:17 am

Pat Benatar now looks like Sally Field, though don't think Benatar is a good actress

Most of the songs were OK with a few I disagree with.

Deborah Gibson still looks great, though she's in her mid 30's (same age as Mariah Carey & Heather Graham)  and still active in theatre

Written By: Brian06 on 11/04/06 at 1:57 am

Deborah Gibson...

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/BangHead.gif

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/04/06 at 2:00 am

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/BangHead.gif
nicely timed smiley

Written By: woops on 11/04/06 at 2:01 am

Journey doesn't belong on the list, unless it's one of their "Awesomely Bad" lists

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/04/06 at 2:03 am

Journey doesn't belong on the list, unless it's one of their "Awesomely Bad" lists

Journey was a damn good band.  They had some of the biggest hits of the decade.  Open Arms, Don't Stop Believin', Separate Ways.....you can't leave any of those songs off a "Best of the 80s" list.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/04/06 at 2:44 am

Journey was a damn good band.  They had some of the biggest hits of the decade.  Open Arms, Don't Stop Believin', Separate Ways.....you can't leave any of those songs off a "Best of the 80s" list.

Yeah, I never understood why people knock Journey so much for being cheesy (isn't something like "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" way cheesier?). ;D I think my favorite song by them is "I'll Be Alright Without You", even if they started sounding more like Survivor or Loverboy in the mid '80s.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/04/06 at 2:54 am

(isn't something like "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" way cheesier?).

The video is worse than the song.  Short shorts?  Ultraviolet light?  George Michael prancing?

Written By: Eddie on 11/04/06 at 9:21 am

VERY disappointed.

Written By: Eddie on 11/04/06 at 9:25 am

"Cars" debuted on the Billboard charts 2/16/80 and peaked at #9..weeks later...so this song is from 1980, according to the charts..it may have been heard on the radio in late 79, but it's considered a 1980 hit since it peaked on the charts in '80.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/04/06 at 10:52 am

Oh young one, lol, Journey was actually a good band.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/04/06 at 10:55 am

"Cars" debuted on the Billboard charts 2/16/80 and peaked at #9..weeks later...so this song is from 1980, according to the charts..it may have been heard on the radio in late 79, but it's considered a 1980 hit since it peaked on the charts in '80.

Same with "Video Killed the Radio Star" by The Buggles >=O.

I wonder if that was on the list?

I only saw part of the first episode, and the whole of the last one.

Written By: Marian on 11/04/06 at 4:14 pm

Here's a spoiler...

Let's say there's many omission from the list and a few suprises...
I can agree with omissions."On the Wings of a nightingale' isn't on the list!!! >:(

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/05/06 at 10:57 am

I can agree with omissions."On the Wings of a nightingale' isn't on the list!!! >:(

I'm one of the biggest '80s music fans and I've never even heard of that one.

Since this list was picked by voters, it basically focused on well-known songs from the '80s. More people are gonna know "Billie Jean" or "Maneater" than, say, an obscure hit single from a late '80s hair band (although there were a few entries that surprised me, and some I didn't think would be omitted either).

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/05/06 at 12:48 pm

The video is worse than the song.  Short shorts?  Ultraviolet light?  George Michael prancing?

Hey, give ultraviolet light a break, eh?  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/05/06 at 12:50 pm

I like Journey, too. I actually own their greatest hits CD. I think Woops has a hard time liking much else besides Deborah "Debbie" Gibson, who I believe was NOT underrated at all. She had her share of the limelight, as did many other '80s stars. Get over it!!  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/05/06 at 12:54 pm

I like Journey, too. I actually own their greatest hits CD. I think Woops has a hard time liking much else besides Deborah "Debbie" Gibson, who I believe was NOT underrated at all. She had her share of the limelight, as did many other '80s stars. Get over it!!  ;D

What if Steve Perry covered "Only in My Dreams"? ;D

Sure, I enjoy a couple of Deb's songs, such as "Out of the Blue". And I'll admit she's hot today (probably looks more like 27 than her mid 30s), but this guy is a little too obsessed. ;)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/05/06 at 1:02 pm

What if Steve Perry covered "Only in My Dreams"? ;D

Sure, I enjoy a couple of Deb's songs, such as "Out of the Blue". And I'll admit she's hot today (probably looks more like 27 than her mid 30s), but this guy is a little too obsessed. ;)

I agree :0)  ;) I owned her first two albums as a youngster and played them to death! But, that was nearly twenty years ago, and I like what she did, but I just can't be that crazy over her like I am over the Beatles.

And you're right, she's very pretty still!

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/05/06 at 1:17 pm

I agree :0)  ;) I owned her first two albums as a youngster and played them to death! But, that was nearly twenty years ago, and I like what she did, but I just can't be that crazy over her like I am over the Beatles.

And you're right, she's very pretty still!

Definitely. I think she's one of those people that'll still be really attractive when she's 60 or so.

Although I knew of her around 1988, I wasn't really a fan. Despite listening to so much '80s music as a kid, ironically I didn't get into some artists until after the fact, during the '90s. I think that's partially why I've never "burned out" on Eighties music. It was more the stuff around 1984 that I latched really hard onto, that and the poppier soft rock in the late '80s (i.e. Steve Winwood).

Of course the older classic bands like Aerosmith, The Beatles and the Stones, I was pretty fond of too. That whole "classic rock" era of 1964-1981/'82.

Written By: zcrito on 11/05/06 at 1:42 pm

Only when they're playing

"Feeling That Way"+"Anytime" from '78
or
"Any Way You Want It" from '80.

Other than those two, you'd have to admit, they were pretty bad.
;)

Written By: zcrito on 11/05/06 at 1:50 pm

I didn't agree with most of the 100 songs listed but I would say the shows were definitely much better than the last shows about the '80s.

The comments weren't as stupid as the previous shows and at times they were even funny.  And positive comments about songs were always given. So, I guess overall it was a well made group of shows with mostly bad '80s music -- except for about 25 songs -- and some good comments.

:)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/05/06 at 1:55 pm

Definitely. I think she's one of those people that'll still be really attractive when she's 60 or so.

Although I knew of her around 1988, I wasn't really a fan. Despite listening to so much '80s music as a kid, ironically I didn't get into some artists until after the fact, during the '90s. I think that's partially why I've never "burned out" on Eighties music. It was more the stuff around 1984 that I latched really hard onto, that and the poppier soft rock in the late '80s (i.e. Steve Winwood).

Of course the older classic bands like Aerosmith, The Beatles and the Stones, I was pretty fond of too. That whole "classic rock" era of 1964-1981/'82.

I played a lot of '80s music as a kid, such as Genesis, The Bangles, Debbie Gibson, New Kids on the Block, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Tiffany, MC Hammer, Paula Abdul, Duran Duran, etc. So, eventually I tired of that stuff pretty quickly once they were out of favor. Then when I got into my early teens (13, actually), I started to latch onto oldies ('50s, '60s, and '70s) more and began favoring that a lot.. then eventually, as time passed on, I had a renewed interest in the '80s again.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/05/06 at 2:36 pm

I played a lot of '80s music as a kid, such as Genesis, The Bangles, Debbie Gibson, New Kids on the Block, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Tiffany, MC Hammer, Paula Abdul, Duran Duran, etc. So, eventually I tired of that stuff pretty quickly once they were out of favor. Then when I got into my early teens (13, actually), I started to latch onto oldies ('50s, '60s, and '70s) more and began favoring that a lot.. then eventually, as time passed on, I had a renewed interest in the '80s again.

I can see that. No matter how good something is, I think when you truly experience all of it, you can grow sick of it. I'm guessing I didn't because most of what I liked was usually after the fact (hearing 1979 songs on the radio in 1985, or watching '80s videos on VH1 in the early '90s).

Yeah, your experience I feel is why kids I remember (even around our age in 2nd grade around 1989) being so eager for the '90s. They did experience most of the '80s. Although they liked it, they were ready for something new. Like how the very late Eighties-type superstars from 1989-'91 like MC Hammer, Wilson Philips and even some hair metal ballads were always touted as being "The Nineties".

P.S. I think if something is "cooler" it ages quicker because it's tied to its era. I guess most of my stuff wasn't as trendy as Debbie or New Kids (i.e. Huey Lewis, Phil Collins, Van Halen, Journey), so I could live with it longer. ;D

Written By: woops on 11/05/06 at 2:53 pm

Nobody mentioned that they forgot Simple Minds, especially "Don't You (Forget About Me)"

Though many more like Madness, Huey Lewis & The News, The Smiths, Oingo Boingo, Quiet Riot, "Do They Know It's Christmas" benefit song from Band Aid, LL Cool J, Stray Cats, Sheena Easton, Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam, Tina Turner, Billy Joel, etc.

I listened to music from the 1970's & 1980's in the mid 1990's, though mostly pop, rock, alternative, some old school hip hop, and whatever catches my interest.

Not to mention those 80's music video showcases ("MTV500", "VH1 History of Music Video A to Z", "The Big 80's",).

I've always thought of Journey as a second rate '70's leftover band since they sound close to bands from the era like the slightly better Foreigner and greats like like Aerosmith. Ironically, Aerosmith opened up for them at one time and many people said that Journey should've been the opening act instead.

As for Deborah Gibson, I enjoy her later material, which is obiviously matured and more A/C  and some upbeat pop like "Think With Your Heart" (1995) and "MYOB" (2001).  She may not be famous because she's still looked as the '80's pop princess, which in reality she's old enough to be the mother of Miley Cyrus (14).

Alanis Morrissette was also a teen idol in Canada, but good thing she wasn't famous in the US or "Jagged Little Pill" would've been a flop.

Written By: woops on 11/05/06 at 9:12 pm

The VH1 special Deborah had said that Steve Perry has a great voice, though don't care since Ashley Tisdale idolizes Jessica Simpson

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/06/06 at 11:11 am

Hello!!! I hear ya, lol. I liked her in her time. But it passed like other "stars" of the time. Her core audience (including me) grew up and moved on.

Written By: woops on 11/06/06 at 3:04 pm

She still has core fans and her music also has evolved...

If not, Ron Howard is still some child actor on some boring sitcom  ::)

Nobody mentioned that they forgot Simple Minds, especially "Don't You (Forget About Me)"

Though many more like Madness, Huey Lewis & The News, The Smiths, Oingo Boingo, Quiet Riot, "Do They Know It's Christmas" benefit song from Band Aid, LL Cool J, Stray Cats, Sheena Easton, Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam, Tina Turner, Billy Joel, etc.

I listened to music from the 1970's & 1980's in the mid 1990's, though mostly pop, rock, alternative, some old school hip hop, and whatever catches my interest.

Not to mention those 80's music video showcases ("MTV500", "VH1 History of Music Video A to Z", "The Big 80's",).

I've always thought of Journey as a second rate '70's leftover band since they sound close to bands from the era like the slightly better Foreigner and greats like like Aerosmith. Ironically, Aerosmith opened up for them at one time and many people said that Journey should've been the opening act instead.

As for Deborah Gibson, I enjoy her later material, which is obiviously matured and more A/C  and some upbeat pop like "Think With Your Heart" (1995) and "MYOB" (2001).  She may not be famous because she's still looked as the '80's pop princess, which in reality she's old enough to be the mother of Miley Cyrus (14).

Alanis Morrissette was also a teen idol in Canada, but good thing she wasn't famous in the US or "Jagged Little Pill" would've been a flop.

Written By: lti313 on 11/08/06 at 8:21 am

No Stevie Nicks "Stand Back"?  Robbed  :P

Written By: Lennon on 11/29/06 at 11:11 am

What are the other Top Songs (#40 - 1) from VH1's "The 100 Greatest SOngs of the 80's?"

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/29/06 at 11:14 am

The VH1 I have here are showing the 90s, not the 80s.

Check for new replies or respond here...