inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Justine Bateman

Written By: Lindee on 11/03/06 at 9:32 am

I saw her recently on a rerun of Still Standing and a commercial for a Lifetime movie. She doesn't look very good for her age.  Did she have any drug or medical problems? I seem to remember reading in a magazine that she left acting for good to design clothes.

Subject: Re: Justine Bateman

Written By: whistledog on 11/03/06 at 1:10 pm

She doesn't look that bad, but she sure doesn't look as hot as she did back in the day.  That was a recurring role on Still Standing .. she played a lesbian  :o

Written By: Stacy_80s on 11/03/06 at 1:38 pm

I saw her recently on a rerun of Still Standing and a commercial for a Lifetime movie. She doesn't look very good for her age.  Did she have any drug or medical problems? I seem to remember reading in a magazine that she left acting for good to design clothes.

She had an eating disorder for years; bulimia, I believe. That'll age you.

Written By: woops on 11/04/06 at 1:35 am

Ashley Tisdale appeared on some episodes of "Still Standing"

Just saying since I have no idea who Justine Bateman is, but familiar with Courtney Thorne Smith  :D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/04/06 at 1:40 am

Just saying since I have no idea who Justine Bateman is, but familiar with Courtney Thorne Smith  :D

You have no idea who Justine Bateman is?  Haven't you ever seen an episode of Family Ties?

Written By: whistledog on 11/04/06 at 1:47 am

You have no idea who Justine Bateman is?  Haven't you ever seen an episode of Family Ties?

Unless Family Ties airs on The Disney Channel, it's likely he hasn't  ;D :D :P

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/04/06 at 1:54 am

Oh SNAP.  ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 11/04/06 at 1:56 am

lol  ;D

Written By: woops on 11/04/06 at 1:58 am

I've heard of that show, but never watched it, though I know Michael J Fox starred in it.

It's not on reruns, that I know of and I also watch Comedy Central, VH1, and sometimes TCM.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/04/06 at 1:59 am

I've heard of that show, but never watched it, though I know Michael J Fox starred in it.

It's not on reruns, that I know of and I also watch Comedy Central, VH1, and sometimes TCM.

They had it on Nick at Nite a while ago, that's where I know it from.

Written By: robby76 on 11/04/06 at 5:53 am

Family Ties is out on dvd Feb 2007! I'm definitely getting this!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.net/graphics/news3/FamilyTiesS1.jpg

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 11/04/06 at 11:45 am

"Mallory...."

Family Ties was probably the purest 80s sitcom, seeing as it covered most of the decade and didn't include the late 70s or early 90s, i.e. it ran from 1982-1989.  I remember the creator said he wanted to end it in 1989 because it was only supposed to be about an 80s family and the Reagan mindset vs '60s liberals. 

I just looked Justine Bateman up on IMDB, expecting to see a horribly haggard woman.  But she really doesn't look all that bad, she looks older ofcourse, but she doesn't look as bad as some of you guys make her.  Most of the pics there (outside of Family Ties) are all failry recent and within the past 3 years.  It's hard to believe Mallory is 40 though, I still have it my head that she should be wasting time at the mall or something.  (she's always Mallory to me, and MJFox is always Alex P. Keaton/Marty McFly)   :)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000868/

Written By: whistledog on 11/04/06 at 2:44 pm

OMG awesome!  I gotta get me a copy of that 8)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/04/06 at 8:26 pm

COOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!  8)

I'm so there already!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/05/06 at 4:01 pm

"Mallory...."

Family Ties was probably the purest 80s sitcom, seeing as it covered most of the decade and didn't include the late 70s or early 90s, i.e. it ran from 1982-1989.  I remember the creator said he wanted to end it in 1989 because it was only supposed to be about an 80s family and the Reagan mindset vs '60s liberals. 

I just looked Justine Bateman up on IMDB, expecting to see a horribly haggard woman.  But she really doesn't look all that bad, she looks older ofcourse, but she doesn't look as bad as some of you guys make her.  Most of the pics there (outside of Family Ties) are all failry recent and within the past 3 years.  It's hard to believe Mallory is 40 though, I still have it my head that she should be wasting time at the mall or something.  (she's always Mallory to me, and MJFox is always Alex P. Keaton/Marty McFly)   :)

"Family Ties" was much better written than most '80s sit-coms, that's why the jokes still hold up decades later.  I wouldn't say the Keatings were "'60s liberals" so much as '80s yuppies with a socially liberal mindset.  Steven Keaton worked for PBS, so that was pretty acurate.

Well, Justine Bateman dated Leif Garrett who isn't looking so hot these days either!
;D

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 11/05/06 at 4:44 pm

Did you know that Matthew Broderick was initially going to play Alex P. Keaton?  Brodericks father became terminally ill and so the part went to Michael J. Fox.

I can see Broderick playing Alex P. Keaton actually, and making it his own character.  I can actually see Broderick playing Marty McFly too.  Though I'm not sure if Fox could play Ferris Beuller. 

Written By: ch on 11/06/06 at 10:58 pm

She had an eating disorder for years; bulimia, I believe. That'll age you.

i think she looks alot older than she is & looks ill :\'(

Written By: Davester on 11/07/06 at 5:44 am

Get the hell out of here..!  Family Ties is coming to DVD!?  I've been pissing and moaning on this board for years about a Family Ties DVD release..! 

I'm like, you know...there!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/07/06 at 12:23 pm

I think she looks great.  You guys are crazy!  :D

I loved Family Ties when I was a kid.  I'll most assuredly be getting the DVD's.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/07/06 at 12:31 pm

I think she looks great.  You guys are crazy!   :D

I loved Family Ties when I was a kid.  I'll most assuredly be getting the DVD's.

she looks pretty good to me too..I mean, ya gotta figure, she's not that very young girl that she used to be when she was on Family Ties....that was a long time ago....it's called..getting older. :D ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/07/06 at 12:35 pm

she looks pretty good to me too..I mean, ya gotta figure, she's not that very young girl that she used to be when she was on Family Ties....that was a long time ago....it's called..getting older. :D ;)

I think people are so used to women getting ridiculous amounts of plastic surgery that they don't know what a real woman looks like.  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/09/06 at 1:41 am

Did you know that Matthew Broderick was initially going to play Alex P. Keaton?  Brodericks father became terminally ill and so the part went to Michael J. Fox.

I can see Broderick playing Alex P. Keaton actually, and making it his own character.  I can actually see Broderick playing Marty McFly too.  Though I'm not sure if Fox could play Ferris Beuller.   

FBDO wouldn't have been nearly so memorable without Matthew Broderick and Alan Ruck as Ferris and Cameron, and Jeffrey Jones is a must for  Ed Rooney!  That's why TV series spinoffs of successful movies rarely work.  If they scripted and cast a "Ferris Bueller" TV show (or did they?) it would have lasted two seasons tops. 

I think if Broderick was cast as Alex P. Keaton from the start, he would have made the character work.  But who can picture Alex P. Keaton as anybody else?

(Indiana Jones is Harrison Ford, right?  Not their first choice.  They wanted Tom Selleck!  OMG, that would have suuuucked!)
;D

Written By: zcrito on 11/12/06 at 10:52 am

I think people are so used to women getting ridiculous amounts of plastic surgery that they don't know what a real woman looks like.   ::)

;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/19/06 at 8:19 pm

C U Around..  :)

wow, this has SO much to do with Justine Bateman. ::)

Written By: nally on 11/19/06 at 8:21 pm

wow, this has SO much to do with Justine Bateman. ::)

Just ignore it...there's a spammer on the loose. He's putting this same message in all the threads on this forum.

Written By: Tam on 11/19/06 at 8:32 pm

Got 'em!!!! ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/19/06 at 8:33 pm

Got 'em!!!! ;)

thanks Tam...you GO GIRL! ;) ;D :D

Written By: nally on 11/19/06 at 8:37 pm

Got 'em!!!! ;)

Thank you so much, Tam!! :) 8) O0 You ROCK!

Written By: KKay on 11/19/06 at 11:18 pm

She was in one of my favorite bad movies; Satisfaction

Written By: pumbaaj on 11/20/06 at 12:39 pm

"Satisfaction"!  That brings back memories.  Justine recorded songs for the soundtrack with a rock band.  In the movie, Julia Roberts was in the band (!)  ;D  I wonder if she still keeps in touch with Justine.    ;D

I think this movie was supposed to help Justine launch a rock music career. 

Written By: snozberries on 11/29/06 at 8:22 pm

Matthew Broderick as Alex would have been interesting cause his father was the father on Family and Meredith played his daughter so his son Matthew would have been Meredith's son.  If James had remained heathy they could have done stunt casting for sweeps with James playing Elise's father making Matthew's dad his grandfather.

Makes my head hurt just thinking about it!

Written By: snozberries on 11/29/06 at 8:25 pm

"Satisfaction"!  That brings back memories.  Justine recorded songs for the soundtrack with a rock band.   In the movie, Julia Roberts was in the band (!)  ;D   I wonder if she still keeps in touch with Justine.     ;D

I think this movie was supposed to help Justine launch a rock music career.   

This film is so bad its good!  :) Its been playing on cable lately of course I have the dvd so I can watch it anytime

The actress who played drug addict Billie was the singing voice for Jem (of Jem and the Holograms)
This also has nothing to do with Justine Bateman but I gotta clear the head of some useless info floating around in there!

Check for new replies or respond here...