inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This Week in 1985 charts ...

Written By: whistledog on 11/12/06 at 3:01 am

I was bored, so here are the songs and albums that were in the weekly Top 20 charts in the UK, USA and Canada this week in 1985 because 1985 was an AWESOME year!

S  I  N  G  L  E  S The Power of Love - Jennifer Rush Take on Me - a-ha Nikita - Elton John A Good Heart - Feargal Sharkey Trapped - Colonel Abrams Something About You - Level 42 Don't Break My Heart - UB40 Gambler - Madonna St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion) - John Parr Election Day - Arcadia Alive and Kicking - Simple Minds The Taste of Your Tears - King Yeh Yeh - Matt Bianco Miami Vice - Jan Hammer Lipstick, Powder and Paint - Shakin' Stevens Stairway to Heaven - Far Corporation Road to Nowhere - Talking Heads Sisters Are Doin' it ... - Eurythmics / Aretha Franklin Slave to the Rhythm - Grace Jones Cloudbusting - Kate Bush

UK 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

A  L  B  U  M  S Love Songs - George Benson Afterburner - ZZ Top Once Upon A Time - Simple Minds Out Now 2 - Various Artists Hounds of Love - Kate Bush Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits The Singles 81-85 - Depeche Mode Like A Virgin - Madonna Power Windows - Rush Love - The Cult World Machine - Level 42 Slave to the Rhythm - Grace Jones Live After Death - Iron Maiden Miami Vice - Various Artists The Gift - Midge Ure West Side Story - Bernstein/Te Kanawa/Carreras Greatest Hits 1 and 2 - Billy Joel Now That's What I Call Music 5 - Various Artists Vital Idol - Billy Idol The First Album - Madonna

S  I  N  G  L  E  S Miami Vice - Jan Hammer Part Time Lover - Steve Wonder Head Over Heels - Tears For Fears You Belong to the City - Glenn Frey We Built This City - Starship Saving All My Love For You - Whitney Houston Separate Lives - Phil Collins/Marilyn Martin Take on Me - a-ha Be Near Me - ABC Lay Your Hands on Me - Thompson Twins Broken Wings - Mr. Mister Never - Heart One Night Love Affair - Bryan Adams You Are My Lady - Freddie Jackson Lovin' Every Minute of It - Loverboy Who's Zoomin' Who - Aretha Franklin Fortress Around Your Heart - Sting I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down - Paul Young Love Theme From St. Elmo's Fire - David Foster Oh Sheila - Ready For the World

US 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

A  L  B  U  M  S Miami Vice - Various Artists Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits Scarecrow - John Cougar Mellencamp Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston Songs From the Big Chair - Tears for Fears Heart - Heart In Square Circle - Stevie Wonder The Dream of the Blue Turtles - Sting Born in the USA - Bruce Springsteen Reckless - Bryan Adams No Jacket Required - Phil Collins Greatest Hits 1 and 2 - Billy Joel Lovin' Every Minute of It - Loverboy Rock Me Tonight - Freddie Jackson Hunting High and Low - a-ha Who's Zoomin' Who - Aretha Franklin Ready For the World - Ready For the World Make it Big - Wham! Emergency - Kool and the Gang The Secret of Association - Paul Young

S  I  N  G  L  E  S Part-Time Lover - Stevie Wonder Oh Sheila - Ready For the World Miami Vice - Jan Hammer Cherish - Kool and the Gang Separate Lives - Phil Collins/Marilyn Martin I Got You Babe - UB40 w/ Chrissie Hynde Money For Nothing - Dire Straits Saving All My Love For You - Whitney Houston Dancing in the Street - Mick Jagger/David Bowie You Belong to the City - Glenn Frey Lay Your Hands on Me - Thompson Twins Lonely Ol' Night - John Cougar Mellencamp Take on Me - a-ha We Built This City - Starship There Must Be An Angel - Eurythmics I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down - Paul Young Lovin' Every Minute of It - Loverboy Alive and Kicking - Simple Minds Dress You Up - Madonna Fortress Around Your Heart - Sting

CAN 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

A  L  B  U  M  S Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits Miami Vice - Various Artists Scarecrow - John Cougar Mellencamp Boy in the Box - Corey Hart Alien Shores - Platinum Blonde Reckless - Bryan Adams In Square Circle - Stevie Wonder Born in the USA - Bruce Springsteen Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston Sting - The Dream of the Blue Turtles No Jacket Required - Phil Collins Hunting High and Low - a-ha The Secret of Association - Paul Young Here's to Future Days - Thompson Twins Songs From the Big Chair - Tears for Fears Hounds of Love - Kate Bush St. Elmo's Fire - Various Artists Be Yourself Tonight - Eurythmics Who's Zoomin' Who - Aretha Franklin Greatest Hits 1 and 2 - Billy Joel

Subject: Re: This Week in 1985 charts ...

Written By: Nostalgic on 11/12/06 at 3:35 am

Ther's a lot of awesome songs there ... I remember the 1985 music charts quite well ... there's a lot of fond memories.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 11/12/06 at 6:36 am

Wow... so many incredible songs listed! It's amazing how diverse the music was back then, as music today is so very generic and bland in comparison... :(

Written By: Chasey on 11/20/06 at 3:05 pm

I've said it once, and I'll say it again....1985 was one of the most memorable and diverse music years ever.   8)

I note that Miami Vice was probably at it's peak....not just the album itself, but also the singles that were promoted on the show:

Gambler - Madonna
You Belong to the City - Glenn Frey
Who's Zoomin' Who - Aretha Franklin
Miami Vice - Jan Hammer

Written By: FaultyDog on 11/20/06 at 4:33 pm

I could only find the (Dutch) singles chart for this week...

01 | 01 | 08 |  (I'll Never Be) Maria Magdalena - Sandra
02 | 03 | 07 |  Alive & Kicking - Simple Minds   
03 | 04 | 05 |  Slave To The Rhythm - Grace Jones   
04 | 06 | 04 |  Take On Me - A-Ha   
05 | 05 | 05 |  Dress You Up - Madonna   
06 | 02 | 07 |  Only Love - Nana Mouskouri   
07 | 15 | 03 |  Nikita - Elton John   
08 | 08 | 04 |  The Power Of Love - Jennifer Rush   
09 | 11 | 04 |  Road To Nowhere - Talking Heads   
10 | 17 | 04 |  Trapped - Colonel Abrams   
11 | 28 | 02 |  Say You Say Me - Lionel Richie   
12 | 18 | 03 |  That's What Friends Are For - Dionne Warwick & Friends   
13 | 07 | 11 |  Ticket To The Tropics - Gerard Joling   
14 | 09 | 10 |  Sunday Bloody Sunday - U2   
15 | 10 | 06 |  One Of The Living - Tina Turner   
16 | 16 | 06 |  If I Was - Midge Ure   
17 | 14 | 06 |  The Sweetest Taboo - Sade   
18 | 13 | 06 |  Only The Rain - Dolly Dots   
19 | 22 | 03 |  I'll Be Good - Ren

Written By: Paul on 11/20/06 at 5:01 pm

I could only find the (Dutch) singles chart for this week...

01 | 01 | 08 |  (I'll Never Be) Maria Magdalena - Sandra

Woo-hoo! Remember that one well (Laser 558 listener at the time!)

03 | 04 | 05 |  Slave To The Rhythm - Grace Jones 

Such a good song, which is why it never made the Top 10 here... :-\\  

06 | 02 | 07 |  Only Love - Nana Mouskouri   

Such a crud song, which is why it almost made #1 here... ::)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/20/06 at 6:49 pm

Simply awesome. I do believe I like about 95% of those songs.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/20/06 at 6:51 pm

Not my favourite year in music, (probably '67 or '69 wins that one) but it beats 2006. Hell, any year beats 2006 musically.  :P

Written By: whistledog on 11/20/06 at 6:56 pm

14 | 09 | 10 |  Sunday Bloody Sunday - U2   

That a re-release?

Written By: FaultyDog on 11/21/06 at 2:44 pm

Such a crud song, which is why it almost made #1 here... ::)

It was the theme song to "Mistral's Daughter", as you might remember, and it was a #1 hit in The Netherlands.

Mind you, she didn't sing out of tune back then. ::)

That a re-release?

Not sure, but it was the first time it reached the charts in The Netherlands anyhow.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/21/06 at 2:58 pm

Not my favourite year in music, (probably '67 or '69 wins that one)...

'67 and '69 were wonderful years for music!  8)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/21/06 at 3:01 pm

'67 and '69 were wonderful years for music!  8)

I third that!!!

Written By: Paul on 11/21/06 at 6:01 pm

It was the theme song to "Mistral's Daughter", as you might remember

Ah...one of those mini-soap opera/drama things (in about 139 weekly parts, if memory serves...)

and it was a #1 hit in The Netherlands.

My comiserations...

Strangely, we seemed to have two different versions issued (I'd have thought one was bad enough!)

Written By: FaultyDog on 11/24/06 at 1:15 pm

Ah...one of those mini-soap opera/drama things (in about 139 weekly parts, if memory serves...)

Surely not that many.... :-\\ Maybe just 7...or 13...or....

Gimme a minute (or two) - I'm sure it's on the net somewhere.

Modified to add:

Well, no such luck! All I could find was that it was a "mini series". It's available on DVD, lasting 390 minutes. That would make 13 episodes of 30 minutes each, I suppose...but I can't be sure.

Written By: Paul on 11/24/06 at 3:43 pm

Surely not that many.... :-\\ Maybe just 7...or 13...or....

Well, it certainly felt like it was on for 139 weeks... ;)

Same thing applies to 'Shogun' and 'The Thorn Birds'...

Check for new replies or respond here...