inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ray Parker Jr.

Written By: Ray Parker Jr. on 11/17/06 at 10:18 pm

RAY PARKER JR.

Born: May 1, 1954

http://image.listen.com/img/356x237/7/6/2/2/732267_356x237.jpg

Ray Parker Jr. got his start in the mid 70s as a sideman for Barry White's "Love Unlimited Orchestra".  As well, he also wrote and played session work with several artists including Rufus, Stevie Wonder, The Spinners, The Temptations, Rhythm Heritage and Gladys Knight.  In 1977, he formed Raydio * with Vincent Bohnam, Arnell Carmichael, and Jerry Knight (the latter who would become better known in the 80s as one half of the duo "Ollie and Jerry").  In 1980, the group were re-named Ray Parker Jr. and Raydio ** until Ray officially went solo in late 1981. 

As well as his solo career, he also produced and wrote songs for many artists in the 80s such as New Edition (he wrote their hit "Mr. Telephone Man), Cheryl Lynn, Diana Ross and Deniece Williams.  He also sang the theme song to the Richard Pryor Saturday morning show "Pryor's Place".  In the 90s, Ray went on hiatus following his 1991 album "I Love You Like You Are" and re-appeared in 2006 with a new album titled "I'm Free"

-- DISCOGRAPHY --

(I could only find UK chart positions for Top 40)

Year 1978 1978 1979 1980 1981 1981 1982 1982 1982 1983 1984 1984 1985 1986 1987 1990

Song Title Jack and Jill * Is This A Love Thing? * You Can't Change That * Two Places at the Same Time ** A Woman Needs Love (Just Like You Do) ** That Old Song ** The Other Woman Let Me Go Bad Boy I Still Can't Get Over Loving You Ghostbusters Jamie Girls Are More Fun One Sunny Day <w/ Helen Terry> I Don't Think That Man Should Sleep Alone All I'm Missing is You <w/ Glenn Medeiros>

Album Raydio Raydio Rock On Two Places at the Same Time A Woman Needs Love A Woman Needs Love The Other Woman The Other Woman Greatest Hits Woman Out of Control Ghostbusters Soundtrack / Chartbusters Chartbusters Sex and the Single Man Quicksilver Soundtrack After Dark Glenn Medeiros <self-titled>

United States #8 -- #9 #30 #4 #21 #4 #38 #35 #12 #1 #14 #34 #96 #68 #32

Canada #5 -- #9 #93 #8 -- #7 -- #19 #26 #1 #38 #32 -- -- #65

United Kingdom #11 #27 ------------ -- -- #2 -- -- -- #13 --

-- MUSIC VIDEOS --

Ghostbusters | Girls Are More Fun | I Still Can't Get Over Loving You | One Sunny Day <w/ Helen Terry> | The Other Woman (Original Version) | The Other Woman (Version 2) | A Woman Needs Love (Just Like You Do)

Subject: Re: Ray Parker Jr.

Written By: whistledog on 11/17/06 at 10:21 pm

^ for the record, that was me who made that post lol

I like his song "Bad Boy" the best.  That guitar riff is just so catchy!  8)
I also like "That Old Song", but I'm a little sad to see that it was not a success here

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/17/06 at 11:00 pm

I just knew that was you, Jaso! I could tell by the format! :D ;)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/18/06 at 3:08 am

I'd really like to get a copy of the song "Jack and Jill" by Raydio.  It's a hard one to find though.  :-[

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/18/06 at 3:28 am

Believe it or not, I only know Ray Parker Jr. from his hit with Ghostbusters.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/18/06 at 10:27 am

Same here.

Written By: spaceace on 11/18/06 at 11:51 am

The Other Woman is a really cool song.  I haven't heard it in a while. :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/18/06 at 4:42 pm

The Other Woman is a really cool song.  I haven't heard it in a while. :)

It really is as is You can't change that.

Written By: spaceace on 11/18/06 at 4:45 pm

It really is as is You can't change that.

You Can't Change That was a great song too. :)

Written By: DJ Midas on 11/18/06 at 6:29 pm

I have the Chartbusters album as well as the 45 and 12" of "Ghostbusters" and the 12" of "The Other Woman" (which has the artist listing as Ray Parker Jnr. on the label - weird abbreviation).  Good stuff. 8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/18/06 at 6:41 pm

^ for the record, that was me who made that post lol

I like his song "Bad Boy" the best.  That guitar riff is just so catchy!  8)
I also like "That Old Song", but I'm a little sad to see that it was not a success here
you plagiarized yourself ???

Written By: DJ Midas on 11/18/06 at 7:27 pm

Jack and Jill *
Is This A Love Thing? *
You Can't Change That *
Two Places at the Same Time **
A Woman Needs Love (Just Like You Do) **
That Old Song **

Um...what do the asterisks mean for these songs?  ???

Written By: whistledog on 11/18/06 at 8:58 pm

you plagiarized yourself ???

I didn't want to increase my Total Topics started, so I figure I'd post it as a guest ;D

Um...what do the asterisks mean for these songs?  ???

* Raydio
** Ray Parker Jr and Raydio

Written By: statsqueen on 03/23/07 at 11:47 am

I know no one has posted on this topic in at least 120 days, but I have to share a song that you missed or didn't know about.  I loved Jack and Jill, You Can't Change That, A Woman Needs Love, and even the Ghostbusters theme, but he has gotten into Smooth Jazz and now my fave RPJ song is "Mismaloya Beach".

Written By: wildcard on 03/28/07 at 5:12 pm

same here

Written By: Paul on 03/28/07 at 5:26 pm

I'd really like to get a copy of the song "Jack and Jill" by Raydio.  It's a hard one to find though.  :-[

Really?

I'd have thought that would have been one of the easier ones!

For the record, Mr. Parker Jr. only had two more hits that stopped short of the British 40...

'Girls Are More Fun' #46
'Over You' (follow-up to 'I Don't Think That Man...') #65

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/28/07 at 5:33 pm

I'd really like to get a copy of the song "Jack and Jill" by Raydio.  It's a hard one to find though.  :-Sounds Of The Seventies: 1978 (Take Two)...

Because it's a Time-Life compilation (I bought mine when I was a member of their club), it's rather pricey...

But you might possibly be able to find a cheaper copy if you search eBay... :)

Written By: whistledog on 03/28/07 at 6:21 pm

I still love 'Bad Boy' the best.  Despite reaching the Top 40 in North America, I often find that no one seems to remember it :-\\

Written By: statsqueen on 03/28/07 at 8:01 pm

I still love 'Bad Boy' the best.  Despite reaching the Top 40 in North America, I often find that no one seems to remember it :-\\

'Fraid I'm one of 'em, whistle....sorry

Written By: whistledog on 06/18/07 at 5:50 pm

Lately I am addicted to Ray Parker Jr. songs.  In the old days, I never used to like 'Bad Boy' but after listening to it so much, it's now in my all-time favourites of the 80s.  That funky guitar is awesome! 8)

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/18/07 at 8:21 pm

I really love "Jack and Jill"; this one soft rock station I used to listen to (along with the Top 40 station) would play this at least once a day. It wasn't until years later that I found out the guy singing it (Ray Parker, Jr.) is the same guy who sang the Ghostbusters theme! What is he up to these days?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/19/07 at 4:01 am

I really love "Jack and Jill"; this one soft rock station I used to listen to (along with the Top 40 station) would play this at least once a day. It wasn't until years later that I found out the guy singing it (Ray Parker, Jr.) is the same guy who sang the Ghostbusters theme! What is he up to these days?

He's singing it this very moment on my radio station (Renegade Retro http://www.retroradionetwork.com/renegaderetro/

I don't know what he's doing presently (or where) but he looks like he's having fun.
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/hh/0662018/HH/0662018/iid_999821.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Parker%20Jr.,%20Ray

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/19/07 at 9:53 am

Speaking of plagirizing, am I the only one who never saw a connection between the sound of "Ghostbusters" and "I Want a New Drug"? There was this VH1 show in the early '90s where I heard that Huey Lewis sued Ray Parker for ripping the song off (after he turned down the offer to do the song for the movie himself).

Written By: whistledog on 06/19/07 at 1:02 pm

Speaking of plagirizing, am I the only one who never saw a connection between the sound of "Ghostbusters" and "I Want a New Drug"? There was this VH1 show in the early '90s where I heard that Huey Lewis sued Ray Parker for ripping the song off (after he turned down the offer to do the song for the movie himself).

That was a big scandal in the 80s yes.  I don't think they sound similar at all, but Huey's claim was for real

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/07 at 1:03 pm

That was a big scandal in the 80s yes.  I don't think they sound similar at all, but Huey's claim was for real
There is a Queen song that sounds similar to Ghostbusters, but I cannot remember the title at the moment.

Written By: whistledog on 06/19/07 at 1:08 pm

There is a Queen song that sounds similar to Ghostbusters, but I cannot remember the title at the moment.

Radio Ga Gahstbusters? ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/07 at 1:10 pm

Radio Ga Gahstbusters? ;D
Not quite.

I think I have remember the title, it could be The Invisible Man.

Written By: statsqueen on 06/20/07 at 11:20 am

He released a smooth jazz CD in 2006 "I'm Free"....so far have only heard one track played on my station:  "Mismaloya Beach"  - it is fantastic.  After that, don't know what he is up to.

Written By: airsupplyairhead on 06/20/07 at 1:52 pm

I like Ghostbusters.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/20/07 at 3:24 pm

I thought they sounded very similar!

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/07 at 3:28 pm

You know, as hard as I tried, the only connection between the two songs I could ever notice was something from the video - in the beginning if "I Want a New Drug" when Huey sorta rubs the sleep out of his eye, Ray Parker does that towards the end of the "Ghostbusters" video (when he's with the girl).

People say GB was IWAND sped up, but I never saw it, lol.

Written By: Doc Brown on 06/23/07 at 10:57 am

I used to have a Ghostbusters computer game, and if you don't begin the game, a sing-along began of the theme. But the most prominent part of the music is the bass line, and I clearly heard that it was "I Want A New Drug", just sped up! Of course, I didn't know about the lawsuit until a few years later, and I thought that because of Parker's theft, #1 hit status should really be credited to Huey, making it the first time he topped the charts! And here in the states, the Last time Ray did. I know I  never heard any more of him on the radio.
Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/23/07 at 6:03 pm

I used to have a Ghostbusters computer game, and if you don't begin the game, a sing-along began of the theme. But the most prominent part of the music is the bass line, and I clearly heard that it was "I Want A New Drug", just sped up! Of course, I didn't know about the lawsuit until a few years later, and I thought that because of Parker's theft, #1 hit status should really be credited to Huey, making it the first time he topped the charts! And here in the states, the Last time Ray did. I know I  never heard any more of him on the radio.
Your Pal,
Doc

8)

That's what Huey's Behind The Music said about it too, but I just never saw it, lol. BTW, "Power of Love" and "Stuck With You" were #1 hits, but those came after "Ghostbusters". None of the Sports singles got that high, I don't believe, even if they were pretty popular.

Check for new replies or respond here...