inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: what is the 80s?

Written By: monique on 11/21/06 at 2:14 pm

:-\\ hello can someone link to me good site 4 da 80s....or tell me xomethin bout it......it would be much appreciated...u cna also e-mail me at monique.bookworm2101@gmail.com

Subject: Re: what is the 80s?

Written By: logic908 on 11/21/06 at 10:05 pm

ummmm....the 80's was a sequence of consecutive years starting in 1980 and ending on december 31 1989..that about covers it :P

Written By: Tia on 11/21/06 at 10:46 pm

fast-rewind.com is pretty good. i haven't been there in forever.

Written By: karen on 11/22/06 at 6:12 am

You could also look at inthe80s.com

Written By: Mushroom on 11/22/06 at 10:15 am

fast-rewind.com is pretty good. i haven't been there in forever.

Wow, that brings back some memories.  I used to be very active on that site about 3-4 years ago.

I wrote quite a few reviews for that site, and did a lot of entries for movies ranging from "They Live" and "Xanadu" to "Taps" and "Buckaroo Banzai".  I did that for about 6 months, until I simply could not take how the webmaster took forever to update the sites.

There is little more frustrating then to write a long review of a movie with trivia and other information, only to see the webmaster take 3 months to bother putting it on the site.  And it looks like things have not changed, since he only seems to update it once a month.  That is about the time I came here, where the posts are immediate.  :)

Written By: spaceace on 11/22/06 at 12:59 pm

OMG I just saw Xanadu on "In Demand".  If the person asking about the "80" is into music, a lot of the bands have websites. :)

Written By: Tia on 11/22/06 at 1:51 pm

Wow, that brings back some memories.  I used to be very active on that site about 3-4 years ago.

I wrote quite a few reviews for that site, and did a lot of entries for movies ranging from "They Live" and "Xanadu" to "Taps" and "Buckaroo Banzai".  I did that for about 6 months, until I simply could not take how the webmaster took forever to update the sites.

There is little more frustrating then to write a long review of a movie with trivia and other information, only to see the webmaster take 3 months to bother putting it on the site.  And it looks like things have not changed, since he only seems to update it once a month.  That is about the time I came here, where the posts are immediate.  :)
that happens to me sometimes, i wrote a thing about witch mountain and it took MONTHS to run. (this was on popmatters; i never wrote anything for fast-rewind, just wasted time on the message boards.)

my pet peeve nowadays though is when they edit stuff. a little editing is cool but they retread the whole piece and it sucks.

haha. xanadu was terrible. pretty good music though. taps is a good movie; they live has embarrassing moments but a clever idea.

Written By: spaceace on 11/22/06 at 1:55 pm

that happens to me sometimes, i wrote a thing about witch mountain and it took MONTHS to run. (this was on popmatters; i never wrote anything for fast-rewind, just wasted time on the message boards.)

my pet peeve nowadays though is when they edit stuff. a little editing is cool but they retread the whole piece and it sucks.

haha. xanadu was terrible. pretty good music though. taps is a good movie; they live has embarrassing moments but a clever idea.

Saw Taps on "In Demand" too.  The RV ideal was pretty cool.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/06 at 3:09 pm

Are you talking about Taps with George C. Scott & Timothy Hutton? If so, I knew someone who was in that movie-he played the sheriff. I first saw that movie on a date. When that scene came on, the guy looked and sounded so familiar and I was trying to place what else I saw him in. Then it hit me, I worked with him when I did summer stock and I started going ballistic saying, "I know that guy. I worked with him." etc. etc. Needless to say, that was the last date I went on with that guy.  :D ;D ;D

Sorry, had to share.

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 11/22/06 at 3:11 pm

Opps sorry I saw Strips.  All though Taps is a good movie too. :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/23/06 at 9:53 pm

Stripes and Buckaroo Banzai are both my favorite films.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/24/06 at 12:33 am

In a cultural sense, it's the time spanning about 1981 to 1990, especially peaking in the earlier '80s. I guess this is some basic stuff.

Fashion: Legwarmers, big hair (on girls and guys equally), guys wearing makeup, ripped jeans, IZOD shirts, anything with bright colors.

Politics/world events: Challenger disaster, threat of nuclear attack, Iran Hostage crisis, fall of the Berlin Wall.

Music: New wave/synthpop, hair metal, arena rock, soft rock and ballads, comeback songs from '60s and '70s artists.

Movies: John Hughes' films (i.e. The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Pretty in Pink), Back to the Future, Growing Pains, Full House, action flicks (i.e. Rambo) and horror movie franchises (i.e. Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street).

Technology: VCRs, microwaves, cable TV, home video game systems, the Walkman, huge style boomboxes

Other basic phenomenons: Cabbage Patch Dolls, Pac Man (video games and arcades in general, too), MTV, the fitness craze.

Written By: Mushroom on 11/24/06 at 1:37 pm

Xanadu was actually a pretty good example of the "Classic MGM Musical".  The only problem is that what worked in the 1950's did not work in the 1980's.  By then, nobody wanted to watch shallow glitzy showpieces.  I still enjoy the movie, and drag it out once a year or so to watch (I have it on DVD).

Plus I am a huge fan of both ONJ and ELO.  :)

Are you talking about Taps with George C. Scott & Timothy Hutton?

Yep, that's the one.  I actually find it rather ironic that in that movie, Sean Penn was the "calm cool collected" individual, and Tom Cruise was the "twisted and demented" individual.  Quite a role-reversal from the roles they would take a few years later (Risky Business and Ridgemont High).  It was at the apex of Timothy Hutton's career though, and he quickly faded away after that movie.

Opps sorry I saw Strips.  All though Taps is a good movie too. :)

Yea, that was Stripes.  Those are 2 more movies I have on DVD.  I always loved the "Urban Assault Vehicle", and that runs through my mind whenever I listen to "Chocolate Starfish & The Hotdog Flavored Water" CD.

I even caught it when Nissan used the "Urban Assault Vehicle" theme song last year in a commercial for their pickups.  I had not seen the movie for years before that, but still recognized the song immediately.

Check for new replies or respond here...