inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cheers (the TV series)

Written By: nally on 11/29/06 at 11:49 am

Most of us who watched "Cheers" know that it ran for more than a decade (1982-1993). I still enjoy watching the reruns...but it seems that TV Land doesn't show 'em anymore. :-\\

Anyone else a fan?

Subject: Re: Cheers (the TV series)

Written By: spaceace on 11/29/06 at 2:15 pm

Is Norm still at the bar??? ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/29/06 at 2:32 pm

I loved it when Shelly Long was on it.  The chemistry between Sam and Diane was great.  (Nothing against Kirstie Alley.)

Written By: nally on 11/29/06 at 4:33 pm

Yeah, Kirstie Alley (Rebecca) was in the show during the later seasons. I sorta liked her character.

Written By: Tia on 11/29/06 at 7:09 pm

we were fans of cheers back in the day. i used to watch it with my folks.

although cheers technically went into the early 90s, to me i personally really associate it with the 80s, i think a cheers thread would be a good fit for the 80s board.

Written By: whistledog on 11/29/06 at 8:36 pm

I never get tired of Cheers.  I can watch it over and over again!  In Canada, they show Cheers once a day on "The Comedy Network", our version of Comedy Central

Did you know there was a major casting error in Cheers?  In a 1992 episode, John Mahoney (who played Fraiser's father) appeared as a man named Sy Flembeck, a composer hired by Rebecca to write a jingle for Cheers.  Fraiser was on his case the whole time, because the songs he tried to write for Cheers were basically parodies of other songs  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/30/06 at 1:56 am

I love Cheers. I always thought it was cool that the show aired for so many years, but the quality never really slipped(even though the earlier episodes are a bit better IMO than the later ones).

Written By: Brian06 on 11/30/06 at 2:21 am

I love Cheers. I always thought it was cool that the show aired for so many years, but the quality never really slipped(even though the earlier episodes are a bit better IMO than the later ones).

I agree, it's a great show.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/30/06 at 9:50 am

I like the show too, it's a classic.

Written By: Davester on 12/01/06 at 6:27 am

Jumped a little after Nicholas Colasanto died and un-funny Woody Harrelson joins the cast...

Jumped big time when Shelley Long departs...

Otherwise a great show.  The humor is sophisticated and when it's funny, it's really funny go ;)...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/01/06 at 8:33 am

Cheers is a cool show...I absolutely LOVE the theme song!

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/01/06 at 4:26 pm

Loved Cheers... definitely one of the best sitcoms of our time! :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/03/06 at 1:02 pm

I never get tired of Cheers.  I can watch it over and over again!  In Canada, they show Cheers once a day on "The Comedy Network", our version of Comedy Central

Did you know there was a major casting error in Cheers?  In a 1992 episode, John Mahoney (who played Fraiser's father) appeared as a man named Sy Flembeck, a composer hired by Rebecca to write a jingle for Cheers.  Fraiser was on his case the whole time, because the songs he tried to write for Cheers were basically parodies of other songs  ;D

I saw that episode again recently! That was hilarious!

Cheers suffered two big losses in the first half of its 11-year run.  Shelley Long's "Diane" character in 1986, and Nicholas Colasanto's "Coach" character in 1985 (the actor died early that year).  At first, the gags written for Woody" seemed to be written with "Coach" in mind.  Fortunately, Woody Harrelson was a strong enough actor to re-develop the character as his own.  The writers managed remarkably well after the loss of Shelley Long.  "Rebecca Howe" was not a likeable character, but she wasn't supposed to be (neither was "Diane Chambers," for that matter), and Kirstie Alley is a second-rate actress.  She did well as a foil for Ted Danson, Rhea Pearlman, and Roger Rees ("Robin Colcord").  Norm and Cliff and Frasier and Lillith provided a blend of low-brow and high-brow humor, which greatly enriched the program. 

I'm not sure if the series ever really jumped the shark.  Eleven years seems to be the upper life expectancy of a great sit-com.  M*A*S*H went on for eleven years.  "Seinfeld" could have gone for eleven (it lasted eight) but not much more. 

Written By: logic908 on 12/03/06 at 5:20 pm

definitely a classic and one of my favorite shows of all time...it used to be on everynight on either TV Land or Nick at Nite. Both of those channels suck now...who wants to watch Designing Women and Benson? :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 12/03/06 at 8:46 pm

who wants to watch Designing Women and Benson? :-\\

I haven't seen Benson since it went off the air in '86.  I'd kill to see it again lol

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/05/06 at 1:03 am

Quick trivia notes:

-The last living member of the original "Little Rascals"- George "Spanky" McFarlane- made a one-time appearance on the show, and he swore that that was the pinnacle of his career, before he passed.

-Arguably, the best guest appearance was John Cleese, who portrayed Frasier's old college roommate, Dr. Simon Finch-Royce.

-Other notables include Tom Skerritt (Rebecca's one-time love interest), Tom Berenger (the plumber Rebecca marries in the last episode), Glynis Johns (of "Mary Poppins" fame, as Diane's mother), and former White House speaker Thomas "Tip" O'Neill.

-Cliff Klaven's mailbag & uniform are currently in the Smithsonian Institute.

-The other main loss to the show was a character actor named Al "Pop" Rosen. His character was the ill-dressed old man, who kissed Diane in the episode where Diane was stuck in a vent shaft.

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/10/06 at 12:57 pm

I haven't seen Benson since it went off the air in '86.  I'd kill to see it again lol
Every afternoon on TVLand, and a mini-marathon every Friday at midnight. Give Clayton a slap for me!

As for Cheers, I still love it, although I prefer Rebecca over Diane, and Woody over Coach(Woody was not dumb, just scatterbrained!)
How do we know John Mahoney's appearance wasn't what brought him to the attention of the producers of Frasier, leading them to cast him as Marty Crane?

A little more trivia:
The royally cool John Ratzenberger now hosts(and exec.produces) the popular Travel Channel series Made In America, and has given voice to a character in every single Pixar animated movie.
Toy Story 1&2: Hamm(the piggy bank)  A Bug's Life: P.T. Flea  Monsters, Inc.: the Abominable Snowman
Finding Nemo: Schooley(leader of the fish school)  The Incredibles: The Underminer  Cars: Mack

And TV Guide did the math on this: Figuring 8 mugs a day at $2 each, if Norm kept a bar tab running all through the show's 11 years, his final bill would come to over $64,000! Minus, of course, eleven drafts Sam bought him, one each year on his birthday.)

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: whistledog on 12/15/06 at 12:14 am

Here's some Trivia ...

George Wendt and John Ratzenberger both guest starred (together) as Norm and Cliff in one episode of each of these other shows:

St. Elsewhere
The Tortellis
Wings
Walt Disney Presents
The Simpsons
Frasier

I am not sure, but I think that might be some kind of record for most appearances in different shows by the same actor in the same role

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/16/06 at 6:35 pm

-Arguably, the best guest appearance was John Cleese, who portrayed Frasier's old college roommate, Dr. Simon Finch-Royce.

I'm always psyched to see John Cleese in anything, even when it was the Schweppes commercials!
The Finch-Royce character was so funny because he was saying to Sam and Diane what the viewers wanted to say to them!
:D

Obscure trivia:

Roger Rees, the British actor who played Robin Colcord, recited the text for Downtown composer Eve Beglarian's piece, "Creating the World."
http://www.newworldrecords.org/album.cgi?rm=view&album_id=15547
Eve Beglarian's brother, Spencer Beglarian, was a guest star on 1992 episode of "Cheers."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0066762/

Check for new replies or respond here...