inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Matinee at the Bijou" returns on PBS, remember that show?

Written By: woops on 12/14/06 at 8:57 pm

Never heard of it until now, though read they air old newsreels, movies, short subjects, and cartoons?

Sounds like a sample of the Turner Classic Network channel... though probably with public domain movies and cartoons
Though will return in HD...

What movies and cartoons did/does it air?

Old public domain cartoons as seen in countless cheap DVDs or from a particular studio  like Flieschers (Betty Boop, Popeye, '40's Superman), hopefully not in the public domain that probably haven't been seen in decades.  :D

Home

Subject: Re: "Matinee at the Bijou" returns on PBS, remember that show?

Written By: Tia on 12/14/06 at 9:01 pm

predictably, i LOVED matinee at the bijou. i'm stoked they're bringing it back!

as i remember it would be a newsreel from the 40s, thereabout, a bugs cartoon or something like that, some other stuff, all of it very vintage. and then some crummy tarzan movie or something like that. it was a long time ago, but yeah, the idea was to bring back the days when a trip to the movies was really involved, particularly before t.v. supplanted the newsreel and the short subject.

Check for new replies or respond here...