inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1986 Film: "Band Of the Hand"

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/27/06 at 4:50 am

Anyone remember this one?

5 kids in Miami- a wannabe drug kingpin, a repeat offender, a Black gang leader, a Hispanic gang leader, and an oddball who killed his father- get pulled into the Everglades, are trained by an Indian who was the sole survivor of a Marines fire team, and end up going after the biggest druglord in Miami, using the knowledge of their mentor, and some serious firepower.

Sounds corny, huh?

Only, this film showed great promise, and was even left open for a sequel.
I personally love this film- guilty pleasure, even!

Anyone else?

Subject: Re: 1986 Film: "Band Of the Hand"

Written By: Davester on 12/31/06 at 8:57 pm

Anyone remember this one?

5 kids in Miami- a wannabe drug kingpin, a repeat offender, a Black gang leader, a Hispanic gang leader, and an oddball who killed his father- get pulled into the Everglades, are trained by an Indian who was the sole survivor of a Marines fire team, and end up going after the biggest druglord in Miami, using the knowledge of their mentor, and some serious firepower.

Sounds corny, huh?

Only, this film showed great promise, and was even left open for a sequel.
I personally love this film- guilty pleasure, even!

Anyone else?

Caught it once or twice on TV.  This was a Michael Mann film, huh..?  I remember Mann was still riding the crest of his insane Miami Vice success...

I don't think Band of the Hand  has aged well at all.  Dated with the usual eighties tendency to dress movie villains in neon headbands, earrings and parachute pants.  I half expected the cast to break out into a choreographed dance sequence at any moment...

You're right, the premise is corny, but it screams eighties..!  The A-Team meets 21 Jumpstreet groove ;) on

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/01/07 at 5:45 am

Caught it once or twice on TV.  This was a Michael Mann film, huh..?  I remember Mann was still riding the crest of his insane Miami Vice success...

I don't think Band of the Hand  has aged well at all.  Dated with the usual eighties tendency to dress movie villains in neon headbands, earrings and parachute pants.  I half expected the cast to break out into a choreographed dance sequence at any moment...

You're right, the premise is corny, but it screams eighties..!  The A-Team meets 21 Jumpstreet groove ;) on

Actually, the director is Paul Michael Glaser, or "Starsky & Hutch" fame.

If you look at the head baddies- Nestor, the druglord (played by James Remar) and the triggerman Cream (played by Lawrence Fishburne)- neither of them fit the stereotype you have described. The no-name thugs...yeah.

The best actor (and most successful to date) has been the actor portraying Joe Tigre- Stephen Lang.
He played what was undoubtedly the best character in the whole film, and actually gave the film an element of credibility.

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/07 at 10:26 am

Actually, the director is Paul Michael Glaser, or "Starsky & Hutch" fame.

If you look at the head baddies- Nestor, the druglord (played by James Remar) and the triggerman Cream (played by Lawrence Fishburne)- neither of them fit the stereotype you have described. The no-name thugs...yeah.

The best actor (and most successful to date) has been the actor portraying Joe Tigre- Stephen Lang.
He played what was undoubtedly the best character in the whole film, and actually gave the film an element of credibility.

Paul Michael Glaser did direct Band of the Hand but to be fair Davester Michael Mann was an executive producer on this film and it was probably his Miami Vice fame that got the film made.

I really was pretty bad for an 80's thug film.  I prefer Tuff Turf but we all have our cheesey favorites believe me neither of these films holds up to high standards but they are fun to watch!

Written By: Davester on 01/01/07 at 1:24 pm

Thanks snozberries.  I was sure that pastel pushing producer had something to do with it... :)

Egh, that was some review of mine, eh, Hawkman?  Just going on impressions, it has been awhile since I've seen Band of the Hand but I can't help getting past the "New Pepsi Generation" feel of the production...

Not a fair review, I know.  Like I said, though, the movie is eighties through and through and that makes it worth seeing, IMO...

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/07 at 9:19 am

No problem Davester

I just watched an Afterschool Special from 1985 called Ace Hits the Big Time.  This spoofs the "gang" films of the 80s and the so-called thugs break into song and dance ALOT!  It was beyond bad but is probably what band of the hand would have been if it had been choreagraphed.

I saw Band of the Hand when it first came out and couldn't remember it well  so I rented it again not too long ago... I was sorry I did. In the genre of cheesey 80's gang movies I thought it was pretty sub-par.  Like I said give me Tuff Turf anyday... hey I'd even prefer to watch Rappin' or Breakin' at least in these they do sing and dance  ;)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/02/07 at 8:31 pm

Egh, that was some review of mine, eh, Hawkman?  Just going on impressions, it has been awhile since I've seen Band of the Hand but I can't help getting past the "New Pepsi Generation" feel of the production...Not a fair review, I know.

Hey, man!
No worries here!

I'd probably critique some of the other cheesy-poofs of the 1980s the same way!

We all have our faves, and this is one of my guilty pleasures!
*strikes a patented "1980s Tough Guy" pose*

Check for new replies or respond here...