inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The circa 1986 revival of Classic Rock.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/27/06 at 5:09 am

In the most literal sense, classic rock was more like 1964-1980/'81. While some early-mid '80s guitar-oriented pop/rock was sort of an update of those styles (i.e. John Mellencamp, Huey Lewis, ZZ Top, latter Fleetwood Mac), it wasn't true classic rock.

However, after the new wave era faded, it seemed to pick up again. Late 1986 to early 1991 seemed very "second wave Classic Rock" oriented. Once the late Sixties began to revive, I think it was more noticeable. The Grateful Dead, George Harrison, Steve Winwood (even though he's more pop) Roy Orbison, Aerosmith and Paul Simon had big comebacks.

I don't they could've came roaring back onto the charts with that same material in, say 1982. It would've been too early, but the late '80s atmosphere was just right.

Subject: Re: The circa 1986 revival of Classic Rock.

Written By: whistledog on 12/28/06 at 1:51 pm

"Keep Your Hands to Yourself" by Georgia Sattelites springs to mind

Subject: Re: The circa 1986 revival of Classic Rock.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/28/06 at 11:00 pm

"Keep Your Hands to Yourself" by Georgia Sattelites springs to mind

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. ;)

I've even read articles mentioning how unique of a hit it was. I remember the video had the guys in the band riding around the country in the back of a fenced-in pickup truck.

Check for new replies or respond here...