inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Help- I need the name of a movie

Written By: sarah118 on 12/27/06 at 4:01 pm

I have been trying to remember the name of a movie forever.  In it there is a young man and woman who are sharing a city apartment, but on different nights.  they never see each other, but the woman is a painter and leaves paintings all over the apt.  the man is engaged and uses the apt as a bachelor pad and had a big tv and is always leaving it a mess.  Somehow, they fall in love through living with each other's things. I can picture the apt--it had brick walls. Please help!

Subject: Re: Help- I need the name of a movie

Written By: danootaandme on 12/27/06 at 4:17 pm

You have any idea who the actor/actress may be?  There are a couple of movies with similar plot lines, but I'm not sure on this one

Written By: Tia on 12/27/06 at 4:27 pm

sounds great. is it color or b&w? sounds a little like the premise of "the apartment," B&W billy wilder flick from 1961ish, but i'm sure that's not it.

jack lemmon owns the apartment but has an agreement with his boss that he, the boss, can use the apartment as a love nest. boss woos his secretary, shirley maclaine, in jack lemmon's apartment and in the process shirley leaves her effects around the apartment and jack finds them, finally figures out that the affair is happening. eventually jack and shirley fall in love and i sob and reach for the tissues and the chocolates, and then throw on mad max to shore up my masculinity.

i bet it's inspired by the apartment, anyway.

Written By: sarah118 on 12/28/06 at 7:25 am

It's from the 80's, maybe late, possibly early 90s.  The actress has kinda short dark har, I thought it might be marisa tomei, but it's not.  It's someone that kinda looks like her though. Small, thin, pretty. I think I may have seen it on HBO or something, but it's not a made for HBO movie.  The actor is just a random brown haired guy.  I can't even hardly picture him anymore.  I've been trying to figure this out for years!!

Written By: Tia on 12/28/06 at 9:41 am

well this is gonna drive me crazier than it's driving you! i tried a keyword search on "apartment" on imdb and got 1942 matches. dag.

"apartment" + "paint" gives back one movie from the late 80s, something called 84 charing cross road. it doesn't look right though.

it's a great premise for a movie, part of the reason this is making me batty!

Written By: Tia on 12/28/06 at 9:58 am

oo! oo! i think i might have found it.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0107685/plotsummary

"The Night We Never Met (1993)
Sam has a problem with his roommates: they are disgusting, and don't seem to share his views on responsibility, privacy, and basic hygine. Such is his discomfort with his living arrangements that he agrees to share the occupancy of another flat: he gets two nights a week, the owner (a sleazy frat-boy yuppie named Brian, soon to be married) and Ellen (a would-be painter seeking relief from her boring marriage) each get their seperate nights in the flat. Things go extremely well until Sam and Brian swap nights without telling Ellen, who attributes the "nice" things that happen around the place to the slob Brian, while berating the responsible Sam for his hedonistic lifestyle."

although the lead is matthew broderick, unlikely to be confused with a random brown-haired guy. hmm...

Written By: KKay on 12/28/06 at 10:18 am

oo! oo! i think i might have found it.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0107685/plotsummary

"The Night We Never Met (1993)
Sam has a problem with his roommates: they are disgusting, and don't seem to share his views on responsibility, privacy, and basic hygine. Such is his discomfort with his living arrangements that he agrees to share the occupancy of another flat: he gets two nights a week, the owner (a sleazy frat-boy yuppie named Brian, soon to be married) and Ellen (a would-be painter seeking relief from her boring marriage) each get their seperate nights in the flat. Things go extremely well until Sam and Brian swap nights without telling Ellen, who attributes the "nice" things that happen around the place to the slob Brian, while berating the responsible Sam for his hedonistic lifestyle."

although the lead is matthew broderick, unlikely to be confused with a random brown-haired guy. hmm...

YES!!! that's it!!!

I remember it cuz I haste the way artists are portrayed in movies as having no furniture....and a total disregard for cleanliness.

Written By: sarah118 on 12/28/06 at 10:23 am

OMG!!!!  That's it!! I also remembered that the word night was in there somewhere.  I'll tell you, I do not remember Matthew Broderick in it.  It has prob been since 93 that I saw it and haven't been able to remember it since.  You are the absolute BEST!!!!

Written By: Tia on 12/29/06 at 5:20 am

OMG!!!!  That's it!! I also remembered that the word night was in there somewhere.  I'll tell you, I do not remember Matthew Broderick in it.  It has prob been since 93 that I saw it and haven't been able to remember it since.  You are the absolute BEST!!!!
no prob. :) i love a good guessing game.

got another one?

Check for new replies or respond here...