inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Life Goes On

Written By: Gavino1212 on 01/03/07 at 12:20 am

Hey all, anyone remember a tv show from the late 80s called Life goes On?

About a young man with Down Syndrome being mainstreamed into regular high school.

I think it was a very good show initially, but then focused on Becca's aids stricken boyfriend too much.

Any recollections you'd care to share?
:D

Subject: Re: Life Goes On

Written By: nally on 01/03/07 at 12:24 am

I remember seeing the end of it on Sunday nights during the early 90's, right before Americas Funniest Home Videos came on. I never really watched LGO, but I always caught the last five minutes or so of whatever episode was on.

Written By: Gavino1212 on 01/03/07 at 12:27 am

Ok :-) It's finally out on dvd, saeson 1 is, waiting for season 2 to come out, thanks for responding!!

Written By: nally on 01/03/07 at 12:29 am

Ok :-) It's finally out on dvd, saeson 1 is, waiting for season 2 to come out, thanks for responding!!

Ah...that's nice. Were you a big fan of the show?

Written By: Gavino1212 on 01/03/07 at 12:33 am

Not initially, but about 10 years later I was, to this day:-)

Written By: whistledog on 01/03/07 at 12:46 am

I watched it all the time.  Corky always made me sad.  It was a nice heart warming show, and I remember it was on Sunday also

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 01/03/07 at 4:47 am

Life Goes On was a fantastic show. I remember it was required viewing at my house on Sunday evenings as a kid. I remember singing the theme song with the amazing Patti Lupone! One of the last, great family shows ever to be aired! :)

Written By: coin2564 on 01/03/07 at 9:17 am

The theme song was "Life goes on"  by the Beatles right?  Great show, My Mother and I would always watch it together.  It brings back a ton of memories.  I think I'll surprise her with the DVD and bring it over to watch an episode or two.

Written By: Gavino1212 on 01/07/07 at 12:08 pm

:) Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked the show!  Yeah, you had to have a heart for the Corkster.  My heart goes out to developmentally disabled people.  I applied for but did not get a position at the Western Carolina Center in Morganton, North Carolina.  A state run facility for the developmentally underdeveloped.

Thanks for the responses! :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/07/07 at 12:10 pm

I used to watch this show a lot.  It wasn't until later though, that I recognized the theme song as a Beatles song.  Which isn't the first time that's happened, though.  I remember watching The Wonder Years not knowing Joe Cocker was singing a cover tune. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/07/07 at 7:36 pm

Yes...I watched this show all the time. I used to like Becca's big red glasses...and Corky was cute (especially when he and that girl got married).  I felt bad when Beccas' first boyfriend died...and yes, they focused too much on Jessie's illness.

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/07 at 2:10 pm

:) Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked the show!  Yeah, you had to have a heart for the Corkster.  My heart goes out to developmentally disabled people.  I applied for but did not get a position at the Western Carolina Center in Morganton, North Carolina.  A state run facility for the developmentally underdeveloped.

Thanks for the responses! :)

I loved the show... I thought Becca was to self absorbed but maybe she just wanted to more attention growing up so she had to be that way. She always came through when it mattered tho... Besides she was named after a character in a Tom Sawyer book.... i'd rebel too.

I like the friend Maxie? it's been a while she was played by tayna something or other she was entertaining
Tyler was cool the jock with the heart of gold who befriended Corky mostly because he a developmentally challenged sibling too but his parents seemed to ignore the other kid so Tyler liked watching the Thachers with Corkey.

I didn't like that they recast the older sister tho. i liked both actresses who played her I was just annoyed that there was a recast.

To this day when I see Bill smitrovich or Patti Lupone on something I sing Ob-La-Di

Hey remember when Corky moved in with girlfriend (or did they get married) that was so cool at that time I didn't know indepentent living was a possibility.  How cool! 

Check for new replies or respond here...