inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your style...for teens in the 80s

Written By: KKay on 01/11/07 at 9:52 am

I posted this in the photo board, but i'll put it here too. I"m curious as to what you looked like in the 80s and the trend you followed.
Everyone had a statement - at first, from 79-80 I was the plaid skirt and fishnets girl.  Later, I was doing this ...
:-\\
who did you emulate in your fashion?

Subject: h

Written By: tetratron on 01/11/07 at 10:54 am

:-X

Subject: Re: Your style...for teens in the 80s

Written By: KKay on 01/11/07 at 10:59 am

wow! i forgot about my tails. i had three from the back...long with little bows.
I love that hawaiin shirt and rolled pants look..

clazzy!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/11/07 at 11:02 am

I posted this in the photo board, but i'll put it here too. I"m curious as to what you looked like in the 80s and the trend you followed.
Everyone had a statement - at first, from 79-80 I was the plaid skirt and fishnets girl.  Later, I was doing this ...
:-\\
who did you emulate in your fashion?

Damn girl...you are so dang pretty!

Written By: Gis on 01/11/07 at 11:52 am

Hmm early 80's I wore dungarees or pinafore dresses like Dexy's or Bananarama.

Then it was Ra-ra skirts or baggy jeans with a t-shirt with a string vest over the top.

My last year at school I wore pencil skirts with over the knee socks.

Finally about 85 I got into rock music so it was skin tight jeans and band t-shirts with baseball or boxer boots or paisley shirts with a waistcoat over them.

Then I discovered glam metal so my hair went white blonde and hugely backcombed and I wore lots of scarves and a lace three quarter length coat and the obligatory cowboy boots! I also got obssessed with the film The Lost Boys and did the whole leather trousers, military jacket, biker boots thing, still with huge hair.
Or miniscule miniskirts and fishnets with either cowboy boots or knee length boots. .

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/11/07 at 12:03 pm

You guys are so cool...and make me wish I waw a teen in the 80's!

Written By: KKay on 01/11/07 at 12:05 pm

haaaaa..aaaaa I"m remembering all the striped shirts I wore...and bandanas. Look at Gina Schock on the far right.
I did this look alot:

Written By: spaceace on 01/11/07 at 1:21 pm

I was a big fan of acid washed jeans. (Knees ripped 8))  I did the florescent thing, but didn't care for it much.  I guess my favorite would have been as follows . . .  Oxford shirts, acid washed jeans and either Eastland shoes or Treetorn sneaks. :)  Oh and a spiral perm.

Written By: KKay on 01/11/07 at 1:45 pm

I was a big fan of acid washed jeans. (Knees ripped 8))  I did the florescent thing, but didn't care for it much.  I guess my favorite would have been as follows . . .  Oxford shirts, acid washed jeans and either Eastland shoes or Treetorn sneaks. :)  Oh and a spiral perm.

the jeans. oh boy.  i remember that oxford shirts were taboo....until someone went as an exchange student to the UK and brought them back to us. 

Written By: spaceace on 01/11/07 at 1:49 pm

the jeans. oh boy.  i remember that oxford shirts were taboo....until someone went as an exchange student to the UK and brought them back to us. 

I can remeber a girl in my class tried to do "stone washed" jeans in her Mom's washer.  totally ruined the washer.  Oxford shirt were great, very classy.

Written By: KKay on 01/11/07 at 2:03 pm

I can remeber a girl in my class tried to do "stone washed" jeans in her Mom's washer.  totally ruined the washer.  Oxford shirt were great, very classy.

agreed.

I still have jeans with the holes in the knees. i just cant get over that one.

Written By: spaceace on 01/11/07 at 2:36 pm

agreed.

I know what you mean.  Funny thing, I never quite caught on to flare jeans.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/11/07 at 2:40 pm

agreed.

They're back - my teenage nieces and nephews are starting to wear them.  :D

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/11/07 at 3:47 pm

When I hung around with the Rockers I wore ripped jeans, ankle boots, bandanna and a jean jacket covered with pins.

Later, I tight-rolled my pants wore penny loafers and preppy sweaters.  I also wore plaid anything, pants, skirts, vest. 

Written By: DJ Midas on 01/11/07 at 10:47 pm

Had the parachute pants, sleeveless T's, hi-top sneakers and the rat tail & mullet circa 1984-1986

Then I cut my hair short in back and grew the bangs out after that and started wearing Chuck Taylors, Airwalks or Vans on my feet, longer shorts from Jimmy'Z and Ocean Pacific, shirts from Quiksilver, Vuarnet, Town & Country.  Then I'd flip back and forth with growing my hair out some then cutting it again.

Here's me playing fashion karma chameleon with the skate T and the beginnings of a mullet and Lennon specs circa 1987-88.  :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/11/07 at 11:10 pm

Had the parachute pants, sleeveless T's, hi-top sneakers and the rat tail & mullet circa 1984-1986

Then I cut my hair short in back and grew the bangs out after that and started wearing Chuck Taylors, Airwalks or Vans on my feet, longer shorts from Jimmy'Z and Ocean Pacific, shirts from Quiksilver, Vuarnet, Town & Country.  Then I'd flip back and forth with growing my hair out some then cutting it again.

Here's me playing fashion karma chameleon with the skate T and the beginnings of a mullet and Lennon specs circa 1987-88.   :D

pretty hot dude! 8)

Written By: Gis on 01/12/07 at 8:11 am

I just put some pictures in the decades 80's photo thread...............

Written By: KKay on 01/12/07 at 8:12 am

I just put some pictures in the decades 80's photo thread...............

and they are GREAT!!! you really sum up the time period. I want more....MORE!

Written By: Gis on 01/12/07 at 8:21 am

and they are GREAT!!! you really sum up the time period. I want more....MORE!
My Mother has run off with a lot of my photos, I think I will have to get some back. there were ones I was sure I had that have disappeared.  ::)

Written By: DJ Midas on 01/12/07 at 7:59 pm

pretty hot dude! 8)

Thanks!  I think I was all of 6'3" and all of 140 lbs then; I was a beanpole. :P

And I was shy in junior high & high school and rarely dated...lessee, dated one chick for a little while whose parents were weird, then she went mental and got messed up and some other stuff.  Dated a 21-year old right before I turned 17 and my folks weren't keen on that, although they were fine with me just "hanging out" with her which made no sense. ::)  Then there was the freshman I hooked up with as a senior and she was just too flaky for me, so I put an end to that.  ;D

I think my 1991 black & white pic of me is better.  Just my opinion. :P

My Mother has run off with a lot of my photos, I think I will have to get some back. there were ones I was sure I had that have disappeared.  ::)

Yeah, my mom has most of my pics from my teen years as well.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/12/07 at 8:09 pm

Thanks!  I think I was all of 6'3" and all of 140 lbs then; I was a beanpole. :P

And I was shy in junior high & high school and rarely dated...lessee, dated one chick for a little while whose parents were weird, then she went mental and got messed up and some other stuff.  Dated a 21-year old right before I turned 17 and my folks weren't keen on that, although they were fine with me just "hanging out" with her which made no sense. ::)  Then there was the freshman I hooked up with as a senior and she was just too flaky for me, so I put an end to that.  ;D

I think my 1991 black & white pic of me is better.  Just my opinion. :P

oh, you mean the one where you look like a "new waver?"...I like that one! :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/12/07 at 10:53 pm

Pretty much myself.  ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 01/18/07 at 10:16 pm

I guess mostly the designer jeans (Jordache, Sergio Valente, etc) I loved the pinstiped ones... and long sweaters, thermal tops, etc.. the usual, not too extreme..

But what I remember most is those wooden-like sandals with the blue buckle across the top... and those off-white thick cardigan sweaters with those huge brown buttons. Did any female not have one of those?

Check for new replies or respond here...